LMO.....how strict and how long?

Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Berto46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO.....how strict and how long?

Afternoon/ morning all,

A prospective company im going to be working for has just submitted an LMO on my behalf in order for me to start with the company ASAP. There are plenty of Canadians working for the company at present but they all needed lengthy training which costs $K's. I however, have all the training and experience under my belt so the question I ask is how with the authorities look on this? I know you can only supply speculative answers but wanted to know what type of things they look at when they authorise the submittal?

If (WHEN) it is authorised, how long will it take AFTER they recieve it on their first day and what happens next?

Many thanks in advance
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO.....how strict and how long?

Originally Posted by Berto46
Afternoon/ morning all,

A prospective company im going to be working for has just submitted an LMO on my behalf in order for me to start with the company ASAP. There are plenty of Canadians working for the company at present but they all needed lengthy training which costs $K's. I however, have all the training and experience under my belt so the question I ask is how with the authorities look on this? I know you can only supply speculative answers but wanted to know what type of things they look at when they authorise the submittal?

If (WHEN) it is authorised, how long will it take AFTER they recieve it on their first day and what happens next?

Many thanks in advance
If they can prove that they have advertised it extensively across Canada and supply details of any Canadians who have applied and why they are not suitable, then you should be ok, but they are being very strict at the moment. Make sure they've advertised it in newspapers as well as on the internet - somebody on BE recently had a LMO rejected for that reason.

As for how long, it really varies. Which province are you in? There is a timeline thread for LMO's which may be worth a look to give you a vague idea.

Good luck.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

They havent actually submitted an advert anywhere else, I just sent them my CV off the cuff and they where very impressed with me that they wanted to employ me. Would it be best if I approach them and ask if they have recently advertised so they can use this as a valid advert campaign? If not how long do they have to advertise and reject for before they start looking for global workforce?

The province is B.C.

Many thanks
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They havent actually submitted an advert anywhere else, I just sent them my CV off the cuff and they where very impressed with me that they wanted to employ me. Would it be best if I approach them and ask if they have recently advertised so they can use this as a valid advert campaign? If not how long do they have to advertise and reject for before they start looking for global workforce?

The province is B.C.

Many thanks
The whole point of the LMO is to show that a Canadian worker cannot do the job, so a foreigner has to be employed - they cannot just employ you without trying to hire a Canadian first!! Have they already applied for the LMO? If so, how did they get around the section about advertising and other applicants etc?

It must be advertised nationally (not just in BC) for a minimum of 2 weeks on different mediums as I mentioned, i.e. websites and newspapers/magazines, and they have to give proof of that (i.e. copies of adverts, receipts for advertising) together with details of any Canadians who applied and why they can't give them the job.

If they have already applied, then expect the LMO to be rejected based on what you've said. They'll need to resubmit it after advertising.

Good luck.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

I understand what the LMO is for and so do they, im guessing they are just trying to "wing" it and see if they may get a approval. Im not too sure how they are going to submit the letter but I have a suspicion that they will be submitting a further letter along with the LMO form.

I might have to phone them direct to state all of the above though. I was unaware of the advertising part.

Many thanks!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I understand what the LMO is for and so do they, im guessing they are just trying to "wing" it and see if they may get a approval. Im not too sure how they are going to submit the letter but I have a suspicion that they will be submitting a further letter along with the LMO form.

I might have to phone them direct to state all of the above though. I was unaware of the advertising part.

Many thanks!
Sorry, not a hope in hell of it getting approved if they haven't advertised! They need to prove they have to hire you, not just that they want to.

Might be worth forwarding the below link from the HRSDC website, as they obviously haven't seen it - it states categorically that failure to comply with the advertising requirements "will result in the application for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) being denied."

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...crutment.shtml

Hope that helps, although probably not what you wanted to hear! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, get them to read the above and start advertising asap. It might also be worth them withdrawing their LMO application if they can as otherwise they/you will have a rejection which may make any future applications harder.

Good luck.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:59 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry, not a hope in hell of it getting approved if they haven't advertised! They need to prove they have to hire you, not just that they want to.

Might be worth forwarding the below link from the HRSDC website, as they obviously haven't seen it - it states categorically that failure to comply with the advertising requirements "will result in the application for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) being denied."

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...crutment.shtml

Hope that helps, although probably not what you wanted to hear! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, get them to read the above and start advertising asap. It might also be worth them withdrawing their LMO application if they can as otherwise they/you will have a rejection which may make any future applications harder.

Good luck.
Should note that HRSDC will probably insist that the job be advertised on the national job bank for 2 weeks in the previous 3 months before the LMO would be considered.