Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is an LMIA needed for Canadian experience under FSW entry?

Is an LMIA needed for Canadian experience under FSW entry?

Old Mar 20th 2015, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Prolifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is an LMIA needed for Canadian experience under FSW entry?

Could anybody please tell me if I can apply for the Federal Skilled Professional/Trades program using my 1-2 years of Canadian work experience? I know that most people choose the Canadian Experience Class option, but I wanted to know if the FSP option is also available?

If it is possible, does anyone know if I need an LMIA for my job in Canada in order to get the maximum amount of points? For example, for CEC they only give you the maximum 600 points for your work experience if it was done with an LMIA, otherwise you only receive 50 points. Does the same system apply to the FSW program, or do they give the same amount of points for work experience irrespective of you having an LMIA(LMO)?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 9:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is an LMIA needed for Canadian experience under FSW entry?

I'm confused, as you mention both - are you asking about the Federal Skilled Worker program, or the Federal Skilled Trade program? They're two completely different programs, with different requirements.

But for any of the Express Entry routes, you'd need a LMIA or PNP nomination to get the 600 points for arranged employment.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 20th 2015 at 9:57 am.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Prolifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond reputeProlifix has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I meant the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

So the Federal Skilled Worker Program has the same LMIA requirement that CEC has in terms of receiving the maximum amount of points for your work experience in Canada?

Does this mean that if I have a year of experience in a NOC A/B position in Canada I can choose to go through the Express Entry route via either CEC or FSW?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:52 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Prolifix
Sorry, I meant the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

So the Federal Skilled Worker Program has the same LMIA requirement that CEC has in terms of receiving the maximum amount of points for your work experience in Canada?

Does this mean that if I have a year of experience in a NOC A/B position in Canada I can choose to go through the Express Entry route via either CEC or FSW?
Yes you can, but without the LMIA you won't have the 600 points. But there are possibly reasons to go through CEC under EE. Your employer may want to get a free LMIA to support your PR and CIC has already had 1 CEC specific draw.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:49 am
Just Joined

So just to confirm, if I have a years' worth of experience in Canada, but without an LMIA, then when I apply under the FSW route I will not receive 600 points - thereby rendering my EE application mostly pointless. And the same principle applies to CEC.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

The latest EE draw had a cut-off of 481 points.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Time to try now.