Let's make this simpler

Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:48 am
Just Joined

merdealorsen is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Let's make this simpler

UK citizens can move to France, Ireland, even Lithuania without so much as showing their passport. Yet, to move to Canada is an expensive and long bureaucratic process. This is nuts! The European-Union and Canada are currently negotiating a free-trade agreement. Let’s insist on a mobility agreement as well!

In the mean time, check out my humble web site if you are thinking about immigrating to Canada: http://www.geocities.com/merdealorsen/immigration.html
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

prodigy346 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Let's make this simpler

Hey Canada borders Denmark, Russia and France. We should totally join the EU.

Originally Posted by merdealorsen
UK citizens can move to France, Ireland, even Lithuania without so much as showing their passport. Yet, to move to Canada is an expensive and long bureaucratic process. This is nuts! The European-Union and Canada are currently negotiating a free-trade agreement. Let’s insist on a mobility agreement as well!

In the mean time, check out my humble web site if you are thinking about immigrating to Canada: http://www.geocities.com/merdealorsen/immigration.html
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

vajra is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I'm not good in Geography, but how does Canada border Russia or France?

Originally Posted by prodigy346
Hey Canada borders Denmark, Russia and France. We should totally join the EU.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vajra
Well you can drive from Canada out to Russia.....need proper brass balls to try it, but someone did it...

But the states is a real ball ache
Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

pizzaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not so good eigther, but Canada borders France since "les Iles St-Pierre et Miquelon" is our neighbour (it belongs to France and you can easily get there by boat through NewFoundland I think). Moreover, it borders Denmark because above Canada is located Groenland which belongs to Denmark.

As for Russia... it is closer to Alaska in fact!

Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pizzaboy
I am not so good eigther, but Canada borders France since "les Iles St-Pierre et Miquelon" is our neighbour (it belongs to France and you can easily get there by boat through NewFoundland I think). Moreover, it borders Denmark because above Canada is located Groenland which belongs to Denmark.

Yeah, but in winter, the ice does join the nations, but like I said, you really would need a brass pair to want to put that to the test
Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for pointing out about the "les Iles St-Pierre et Miquelon"; I didn't know that. I have known about Greenland (Denmark) , but the French one was surprise to me

Originally Posted by pizzaboy

Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Here is a link if you guys like to read,

http://www.icechallenger.com/

Originally Posted by bobz
Yeah, but in winter, the ice does join the nations, but like I said, you really would need a brass pair to want to put that to the test
Old Aug 20th 2004, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Let's make this simpler

Here is a link if you guys like to read,

http://www.icechallenger.com/
Good grief! The http://www.icechallenger.com/ is ubercool but a tad off topic no? Crossing from Alaska (USA) to Siberia (Russia), although incredibly cool, will not convince Europeans or Canadians of the necessity of having a mobility agreement! The mobility, although I didn’t specify, would be by plane. True, many Canadians regularly cross by boat to the small French Saint Pierre and Miquelon colony for tourism. And yes, many French Miquelons cross over to Canada (Newfoudland) for its hospitals. Yes, the spoken language of Greenland (a Denmark colony) is the language of Canada’s Inuit. And if you are a really good skier or Santa Clause, you can cross the North Pole from Canada into Russia.

But that isn’t the point is it. Canadians and Europeans are, by world standards anyway, rich and healthy. Why stop our respective citizens from living in each other’s countries? I’d personally extend the privilege to other rich countries (Norway, Switzerland, Japan, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand) but the European-Union would be a good start. And since Canada and Europe are currently negotiating a free-trade agreement, now is the time to put pressure on our respective governments. Let’s face it. If we don’t, who will?

http://www.geocities.com/merdealorsen/immigration.html
Old Aug 20th 2004, 12:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by merdealorsen
But that isn’t the point is it. Canadians and Europeans are, by world standards anyway, rich and healthy....
Because they ain't all rich....look at Poland, Latvia and the new bunch of countries...there pretty poor....
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Angry Re: Let's make this simpler

Originally Posted by Bob
Because they ain't all rich....look at Poland, Latvia and the new bunch of countries...there pretty poor....
Canadians (and Australians and New-Zealanders) now need to prove they are fluent in English in order to get British citizenship! :scared:
( http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?oneclick=true )

"Home Secretary David Blunkett has decreed that applications for a British passport must be supported by certificates of proficiency in English, supplied by designated English teachers or consular officials"
(...) "The Guardian newspaper reported yesterday that a 30-year-old Australian writer had already been rejected, despite her possession of two degrees - one in English and one in public communications." (...) "The new rules apply to Australians as well as Canadians, New Zealanders, Americans and South Africans." (...) Labour MP Sarah Teather has written to Mr Blunkett describing the new process as a bureaucratic nonsense."

It takes five years of residency before they can apply. The fact that it is their native language doesn’t matter. The fact that it is their only language doesn’t matter. The fact that they went to high school or university in English doesn’t matter. They have to be certified by designated people who haven’t been designated yet!

Let’s end this non-sense! The grandchildren of German Nazis can live, work (and even vote municipally) in the UK whereas the grandchildren of Canadian war heroes can’t set foot in the UK without begging Her Majesty and her loyal civil servants. Enough!

Let’s get some common sense and allow Canadians access to Europe and vice-versa.

Information on immigration to Canada:
Canada: http://www.geocities.com/merdealorsen/immigration.html