Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Left Canada without my work permit...

Left Canada without my work permit...

Old Mar 19th 2017, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

ninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Left Canada without my work permit...

Hi folks. I need some help because I'm a moron and am freaking out a little. I'm currently on an IEC permit and have just arrived in the UK for a vacation. Now that I've touched down, I just realised that the document I put in my passport which I was 100% sure was my work permit is actually my birth certificate. Yeah, I know...

Obviously I have a valid passport/eTa, etc. What do I do from here with regard to my return to Canada? Is my worker status attributed to my passport or is that just wishful thinking? Am I going to need to apply for some urgent replacement documentation? Please help this old buffoon.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Left Canada without my work permit...

Originally Posted by ninespoons
Hi folks. I need some help because I'm a moron and am freaking out a little. I'm currently on an IEC permit and have just arrived in the UK for a vacation. Now that I've touched down, I just realised that the document I put in my passport which I was 100% sure was my work permit is actually my birth certificate. Yeah, I know...

Obviously I have a valid passport/eTa, etc. What do I do from here with regard to my return to Canada? Is my worker status attributed to my passport or is that just wishful thinking? Am I going to need to apply for some urgent replacement documentation? Please help this old buffoon.
When issued the work permit the CBSA officer would have noted the permit # and expiry date and stamped your passport with these details.
It will be a U followed by 9 digits.
CBSA can always check your status on entry if needed.
That why some of us staple the work permit inside your passport so you don't forget it when travelling.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
When issued the work permit the CBSA officer would have noted the permit # and expiry date and stamped your passport with these details.
It will be a U followed by 9 digits.
CBSA can always check your status on entry if needed.
That why some of us staple the work permit inside your passport so you don't forget it when travelling.
Something I was always curious about, does the screen actually pop up with the work permit info when the passport is scanned? Before my partner was a PR, I noticed CBSA officers often seemed to manually open up the permit and look at it.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce
Something I was always curious about, does the screen actually pop up with the work permit info when the passport is scanned? Before my partner was a PR, I noticed CBSA officers often seemed to manually open up the permit and look at it.
If I told you the answer you know I would have to hunt you down and kill you
Old Mar 21st 2017, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If I told you the answer you know I would have to hunt you down and kill you
If it's that interesting maybe it's worth it 😛 The main reason I was asking is because how is it going to work on the new primary inspection kiosks if it can't tell if someone has a work or study permit or not?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninespoons

Next time make a copy of the permit and carry that with your passport at all times, cant forget it then and you don't risk losing the original.