Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Leaving Canada While Waiting for PR

Leaving Canada While Waiting for PR

Old Sep 28th 2021, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

louis3107 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving Canada While Waiting for PR

Hi all,

I am a British citizen, currently in Canada as a visitor. I have applied for permanent residency in the form of an in-land common-law sponsorship which was submitted in May. I am currently waiting to hear back from them on the decision.

My lawyers have advised me that they do not recommend I leave Canada while it is being processed for fear of being denied re-entry. Does anyone else have experience of this? I have been here over 9 months now and am starting to become homesick, missing my family and friends. I am also only 23, and this is the longest by far that I have been away from my family. I was hoping to go home for a couple of weeks at Christmas and then return to Canada.

What are the risks associated with this on my re-entry to Canada and my PR application? I do not want to do anything to jeopardise it however with the current processing times the thought of being away from my family for an indefinite period of time is starting to get me down. What's more is that I originally moved to Canada only temporarily for 6 weeks, and did not realise I would still be here 9 months later and counting. I just really want to go home for a couple of weeks but feel like I am being prevented from doing so.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Advice or suggestions?

Thanks very much for reading!
Old Sep 28th 2021, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Canada While Waiting for PR

Originally Posted by louis3107
Hi all,

I am a British citizen, currently in Canada as a visitor. I have applied for permanent residency in the form of an in-land common-law sponsorship which was submitted in May. I am currently waiting to hear back from them on the decision.

My lawyers have advised me that they do not recommend I leave Canada while it is being processed for fear of being denied re-entry. Does anyone else have experience of this? I have been here over 9 months now and am starting to become homesick, missing my family and friends. I am also only 23, and this is the longest by far that I have been away from my family. I was hoping to go home for a couple of weeks at Christmas and then return to Canada.

What are the risks associated with this on my re-entry to Canada and my PR application? I do not want to do anything to jeopardise it however with the current processing times the thought of being away from my family for an indefinite period of time is starting to get me down. What's more is that I originally moved to Canada only temporarily for 6 weeks, and did not realise I would still be here 9 months later and counting. I just really want to go home for a couple of weeks but feel like I am being prevented from doing so.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Advice or suggestions?

Thanks very much for reading!
Hi, welcome to BE.

Have you applied for a work permit and if so, have you received it? If so, you're fine to leave.

If not, then your lawyers are right and you really shouldn't leave the country, not just the risk of being refused entry but you can also be assumed to have abandoned your application, so you'd have to start all over again.

So if you haven't already applied for a work permit I would do so asap so you can leave as then you'll have valid status to re-enter Canada. You won't have it through in time for Christmas, but at least you could leave next year before you get PR.

Best of luck.