Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I personally think the whole thing is just plain insulting. If you were born to British parents and schooled in the UK there should be absolutely no reason to have a test to see if you can speak English, none whatsoever.

You know the IELTS has a speaking section with the examiner? So I have to go in there and actually talk to the person to prove I can carry a conversation and pay over $200 for the privilege? What a joke.

They also should have given at least a months notice before making this adjustment instead of just suddenly doing it out the blue, given the waiting list for the test.
Hi, yeah it's a little annoying. My wife did her IELTS yesterday, we're hoping to submit in a few weeks. She suffers from mild dyslexia and also gets nervous at tests, so her writing and speaking were not as good as her reading and listening. But she has a 1st class honour's degree and a doctorate from English universities, it is a little insulting to have to do a test to prove her English language capabilities!

£108 on top of the £150 we've paid to get our supporting document copies notarized (and that was cheap!) and £70 for police certificates and we haven't even mailed our application yet.

Somebody somewhere is making decent money out of all this..

Wayne.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

kat-b has a spectacular aura aboutkat-b has a spectacular aura aboutkat-b has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jamie677
Hi
Had the email from the visa office 6/7/2010.
I applied before the 26th so its for anyone who applied before the new rules .
I sent an email to ask for myself just to be sure that i didnt have to do the test.
Hi

Thanks :-)) Yes I'm going to send a written submission too, still gathering documents right now - wow its like a full time job! The travel section is a nightmare as I've travelled a lot! I won't stop stressing until I get my medical request :-)) Let me know how you get on!

Thanks
Katie
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kat-b
Hi

Thanks :-)) Yes I'm going to send a written submission too, still gathering documents right now - wow its like a full time job! The travel section is a nightmare as I've travelled a lot! I won't stop stressing until I get my medical request :-)) Let me know how you get on!

Thanks
Katie
Hi
We are nearly done,police check came back today,so only a few more bits to get,it is stressfull,prob going to post it all in sept.
Be glad to get it all done.
Good luck,will keep you updated
jamie
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Waggle
Hi, yeah it's a little annoying. My wife did her IELTS yesterday, we're hoping to submit in a few weeks. She suffers from mild dyslexia and also gets nervous at tests, so her writing and speaking were not as good as her reading and listening. But she has a 1st class honour's degree and a doctorate from English universities, it is a little insulting to have to do a test to prove her English language capabilities!

£108 on top of the £150 we've paid to get our supporting document copies notarized (and that was cheap!) and £70 for police certificates and we haven't even mailed our application yet.

Somebody somewhere is making decent money out of all this..

Wayne.
I heard that someone with a PhD in English from Oxford was asked to take IELTS.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:03 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityhog
I heard that someone with a PhD in English from Oxford was asked to take IELTS.
We met a lecturer who was taking the IELTS test the same day as my OH.
I suppose if they take the view that you have to prove it, you all have to prove it. One rule for everyone. Also, no option of just paying an unscrupulous lawyer to write a letter saying that you can speak English, which I suppose prevents fraud.
Anyway, we see it as just another fence to jump in the Grand National of immigration application. Foinavon should be our middle name (if anyone is old enough to remember that!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 7:26 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote the test some year ago at the same session as the Chairman of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants which is the regulatory body for those consultants. There have been many cases where the actual command of English is no where near that claimed on the application forms. I resented the need for the same reasons that anyone whose entire education and work history is in English but had to take it if I wanted to act as a consultant. I retired shortly afterward so for me it was a waste. For those wishing to immigrate to Canada though it has become a necessary step.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

found this link on the Aussie forums

www.ielts-blog.com

IELTS has been a requirement for max English points for a while there.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:25 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
I wrote the test some year ago at the same session as the Chairman of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants which is the regulatory body for those consultants. There have been many cases where the actual command of English is no where near that claimed on the application forms. I resented the need for the same reasons that anyone whose entire education and work history is in English but had to take it if I wanted to act as a consultant. I retired shortly afterward so for me it was a waste. For those wishing to immigrate to Canada though it has become a necessary step.
I completely understand why Canada has introduced this, despite it being a pain and an extra expense for us. It is very important that you can integrate when you immigrate and not just head for the nearest enclave of your own expats who speak your mother tongue. I'm sure many people overstated their competency in language, either intentionally or just through feeling more confident than they really were. The best person to judge your competency in any language is a native speaker trying to understand you!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Listening: 8.5
Reading: 9.0
Writing: 8.5
Speaking: 9.0

Overall band score: 9.0

Wow that was really worth the 300 Dollars. I would never have thought I would storm an English proficiency test.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 10:12 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Listening: 8.5
Reading: 9.0
Writing: 8.5
Speaking: 9.0

Overall band score: 9.0

Wow that was really worth the 300 Dollars. I would never have thought I would storm an English proficiency test.
Congratz

Think having to do that is bad , Ben has to take an English language exam to get his private pilots licence.

You may think that's reasonable but he had to pass a practical radio exam to get his RT certificate before he could fly solo !
Old Aug 13th 2010, 10:24 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

I once learned Morse Code for a license too. Anyway congrats on the overall 9.0!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, guess you're right, it can always be worse Sounds like you lead quite an interesting life there Jim! Consultancy and Morse Code stuff? Anyway, thanks guys.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Aug 14th 2010 at 2:13 am.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:25 am
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

Received my results today.

Listening 7.0

Reading 6.5

Writing 6.5

Speaking 9.0

Overall band score 7.5

I thought that I'd get a lower score on the listening test, because on the second part of it I didn't have enough time to choose an answer. Then the next thing I knew the dialogue had stopped, so I just put any old answers in there.

I honestly thought that I'd get a higher score in the other sections though, I was confident that I'd walked the speaking part, but suprised I got a lower score in the reading and the writing part. I honestly thought that they were easier than the second section of the listening test. But it just goes to show that you shouldn't count your chickens until your eggs have hatched.

Anyway... can anybody tell me if this satifies the proficiency in English speaking to get the full points, because if it doesn't I won't get enough points to qualify for the FSW. It doesn't actually specify the band score to be proficient in English.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
I once learned Morse Code for a license too. Anyway congrats on the overall 9.0!
Amateur radio?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojovibe
Anyway... can anybody tell me if this satifies the proficiency in English speaking to get the full points, because if it doesn't I won't get enough points to qualify for the FSW. It doesn't actually specify the band score to be proficient in English.
I don't think you'd get full points, as you'd only get moderate for your Listening.

But have a read and hopefully you should be able to figure out your scores (section 12.9 is what need). http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op06-eng.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.