Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Language test results mandatory for all FSW

Old Jun 27th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice
Default Language test results mandatory for all FSW

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...010-06-26a.asp

Results must now be submitted with initial forms to CIO - it is another change from previous rules which asked for test results (or written submission) to be submitted in the second stage, with all other supporting documents, to proper visa post. And of course no written submission anymore, native English or French speaker or not. Test results from everyone.

This decision alone will put an immediate brakes for at least couple of months on new submissions to CIO, as very few applicants have already their test results on hand, and likely none of applicants with English or French as first language was even considering taking the test in the first place.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:31 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language test results mandatory for all FSW

This is definitely a reaction to too many cases where the applicant cannot pass the language test but applies anyway. They think it is cluttering up their case load with non-starters.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

What?! I've already sent my application off, and it's set to arrive on Monday. I hope they have a "grace period" or something since that test is expensive, $285 at SFU! Guess I'll wait and see what happens.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

If your application package is postmarked before June 26 then you'll fine. If not then there is no grace period of any kind it seems.

Using a postmarked date is something new in recent CIC's history (unless experts with long experience with CIC correct me here) and one may see it as some sort of short grace period. As far as I recall they always, in all cases, used the date package was received by CIC, not the date it was mailed.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, yep it's definitely postmarked the 23rd June, and all the documents contained are signed with that date also. Hopefully they will take this into account. Guess it goes to show how important it is to get PR as soon as possible, you never know what changes they might make to make immigration harder.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:06 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
What?! I've already sent my application off, and it's set to arrive on Monday. I hope they have a "grace period" or something since that test is expensive, $285 at SFU! Guess I'll wait and see what happens.
It appears there is no grace period, and it will not go by the post mark.

12. When did this change come into effect?

The change applies to all federal skilled worker and Canadian Experience Class applications received on or after June 26th, 2010.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

...@$%#!

Well, if they return my app to me, they've royally screwed up my immigration path. To apply within Canada I believe I have to have 12 months left on my work permit at the time of the application (though I can't remember where I read that). By the time I've had the test done and got the results most likely I will only have 9 or 10 months on it.

If I had known they were going to do this I would've gotten the test done months ago.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

It appears there is no grace period, and it will not go by the post mark.

12. When did this change come into effect?

The change applies to all federal skilled worker and Canadian Experience Class applications received on or after June 26th, 2010.
You are right, my mistake.

The "post-marked or received by the designated CIC office before June 26, 2010" phrase is used in Ministerial Instructions only in reference to the suspension (Administrative Pause) of Investor class applications.

Investor Class applications

Administrative Pause

No federal Immigrant Investor application will be accepted unless it is post-marked or received by the designated CIC office before June 26, 2010. This pause will extend until the coming into force of proposed regulatory amendments to the definitions of “Investor” and “Investment” applicable to Business Immigrants in Division 2 of Part 6 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

...@$%#!

Well, if they return my app to me, they've royally screwed up my immigration path. To apply within Canada I believe I have to have 12 months left on my work permit at the time of the application (though I can't remember where I read that). By the time I've had the test done and got the results most likely I will only have 9 or 10 months on it.

If I had known they were going to do this I would've gotten the test done months ago.
There is no such requirement. The rules about arranged employment based on working already in Canada with valid work permit state that work permit must be valid at the time of application and at the time visa is issued.

Rules don't say that it must be the same expiration date at both times, thus allowing for extending permit between application and visa.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

I personally think the whole thing is just plain insulting. If you were born to British parents and schooled in the UK there should be absolutely no reason to have a test to see if you can speak English, none whatsoever.

You know the IELTS has a speaking section with the examiner? So I have to go in there and actually talk to the person to prove I can carry a conversation and pay over $200 for the privilege? What a joke.

They also should have given at least a months notice before making this adjustment instead of just suddenly doing it out the blue, given the waiting list for the test.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Jun 27th 2010 at 6:19 am.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

But by doing it this way they practically shut the door to new applications for next couple or so months, buying themselves a breathing time. CIC admitted that everything was OK with the old list for the first year or so and they were able to process application in under 12 months as promised - but the number of applications received already this year started creating a backlog making it impossible to keep processing in under 12 months.

CIO will receive very few (if any) applications for next 2 or so months as not too many potential applicants who find themselves on new list will have language test results and all other documents ready for submission in less than 2 months. This way CIO can deal with the flood of cases they already have and hopefully return to the possibility of completing the process in under 12 months.

Remember one (of many) ugly fact - Canadian (like in every other country) immigration laws, policies and procedures are in place to serve interest of Canada and Canadian economy, not to serve interest of immigrants. With this in mind one shouldn't expect any advanced notices in the name of fairness. Fair to whom? To Canada or to immigrant? Of course Canada's interest will be dominant here.

Another fact is that Ministerial Instructions were intended to be revised within 12 months or less. This is what CIC was stating to the Parliament when seeking approval of amendment to Regulations. Following that intention they should have revised Instructions not later than last November (2009) - the flood and backlog claimed now by CIC is of their own making. By delaying revision of Instructions for over half a year they allowed the flood to happen.

Last edited by crazy72; Jun 27th 2010 at 7:29 am.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

parker14 is an unknown quantity at this point

CanadaJimmy, when did you post your application? They may of received it before 26/06. I'm sure your not on your own on this one, good luck.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

I mailed it on Wednesday last week with Xpresspost and got a tracking number. According to the tracking page it's sitting in the sorting office in Halifax (got there at 7am Friday), so I'm pretty sure it's not there yet!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

I mailed it on Wednesday last week with Xpresspost and got a tracking number. According to the tracking page it's sitting in the sorting office in Halifax (got there at 7am Friday), so I'm pretty sure it's not there yet!
Canada Post doesn't update tracking details until next business day. If package was in the morning in Halifax then I'm sure it was delivered the same day to CIO. Wait till Monday or even Tuesday to confirm it on Canada Post website.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:11 am
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats unbeleivable, has anybody looked at the actual exam for highly proficient in English? It seems to suggest that you have a degree in the English language. There's case scenarios and phrases that I've never heard off before, I'm not confident that I'll pass the exam and I am now thinking I'm not going to bother applying to emmigrate. I have spent quite a bit of money already buying Canadian standards publications so I can learn the electrical standards for my job in Canada, and being 45 makes me no spring chicken. So even if I did do the exam, by the time they get all the results along with everything else, I might be 47 or 48. Unless of course they've dropped the age limit for FSW down to 40 from 49 then I'm totally buggered. I've all but finished filling in the application forms, and just need photos and to find out my estranged fathers DOB and DOD.

I was born and bread in England, educated here and brought up in an English speaking household, and I speak no other languages. So obviously when I did the self assessment, I ticked highly proficient in English as its my language. But looking at the test to be highly proficient, it suggests you need to understand the long English words that not many people use unless their trying to belittle you, or they're proffessors in English who write dictionaries and thesaurus's.

I can't beleive they've done this, the majority of Canucks that I've met speak English just as well as any Brit or anyone else from an English speaking country, And I'm sure that they wouldn't use these phrases or words in the case scenarios that they test you for. Its as bad as the joke about Elvis entering an Elvis impersonation competition and coming third, second place being Pavorroti, and fist place being Steven Hawkins on his voice box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.