Language Test

Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Creek2405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Language Test

Hi, new to this forum. We would like to emigrate to Canada & are a bit confused with the process. We tried to do the Eligibility Test on the cic website for Express Entry but it says we have to complete the language test first?.. Seems a bit odd to have to travel from the UK to Canada to sit this test, just to find out whether or not we are eligible? Any advice please?
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:45 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language Test

Welcome to the forum, I think you maybe confused. you do not need to come to Canada to sit the English or French language test. I assume your from the UK and so your best bet would be to take the IELTS English test, review this link:-https://ielts.britishcouncil.org

I forget the cost but it's not cheap and even if your an English speaking person you still need to take it to emigrate.

CLB is the Canadian equivalent if you really want to come all the way here to sit a test :- Language Levels (What are CLB?)

What makes you want to move to Canada?
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:59 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Welcome to the forum, I think you maybe confused. you do not need to come to Canada to sit the English or French language test. I assume your from the UK and so your best bet would be to take the IELTS English test, review this link:-https://ielts.britishcouncil.org

I forget the cost but it's not cheap and even if your an English speaking person you still need to take it to emigrate.

CLB is the Canadian equivalent if you really want to come all the way here to sit a test :- Language Levels (What are CLB?)

1. The OP should note that they would also require an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) of their highest degree before they could enter the EE pool.
2. They want to start their reading here: Fill out your profile – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
Old Apr 4th 2015, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mikeypm

Thank you for your reply. We have been reading up on the cic website. My husband has 20 years experience in his Trade. We are looking to apply for the Federal Skilled Visa. We worked out from the website that he should sit the CELPIP test. When we looked into this, being the 1st Step. It can only be sat in Canada. Is the IELTS test the British equivalent? If we have understood this correctly, we have to sit this test before we can create a profile, is that correct?
We have visited on Holiday, love everything about Canada & would love to move our family over there.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 9:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Creek2405
Thank you for your reply. We have been reading up on the cic website. My husband has 20 years experience in his Trade. We are looking to apply for the Federal Skilled Visa. We worked out from the website that he should sit the CELPIP test.
I don't know which bit of the website you're looking at, but this is the relevant page - Language testing—Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

As you can see, it's CELPIP or IELTs that is accepted.

HTH, good luck.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for clarifying that for me. That makes sense now!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 12:45 am
Just Joined

SamJM is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't bother with CELIP if you are a fluent English speaker - the exam is dire. The text is meaningless & the exam was badly run with unhelpful staff who didn't speak English themselves!!! It is completely computer based so you need to be proficient with a computer & know exactly where each letter is as most had rubbed off!
Needless to say I have put in a complaint.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamJM
Don't bother with CELIP if you are a fluent English speaker - the exam is dire. The text is meaningless & the exam was badly run with unhelpful staff who didn't speak English themselves!!! It is completely computer based so you need to be proficient with a computer & know exactly where each letter is as most had rubbed off!
Needless to say I have put in a complaint.
CELPIP was fine, although it sounds like your test centre had some issues. Where did you do the test?

I'm guessing you didn't do any sample tests beforehand.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Yes did the sample tests. It was more the test centre - Edmonton Concordia.
Being barked orders at by unhelpful staff who couldn't speak more than a few words of English themselves just seemed ridiculous! The work station was cramped & way too small, the scroll didn't work on the computer & half the letters were so badly rubbed off the keyboard they couldn't be made out. Complaining at the time was made pointless as no-one understood what I was trying to say!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes did the sample tests. It was more the test centre - Edmonton Concordia.
Being barked orders at by unhelpful staff who couldn't speak more than a few words of English themselves just seemed ridiculous! The work station was cramped & way too small, the scroll didn't work on the computer & half the letters were so badly rubbed off the keyboard they couldn't be made out. Complaining at the time was made pointless as no-one understood what I was trying to say!
That sounds awful. This sort of situation when something is so important is so wrong.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

I have now received an apology from CELIP who say they are going to look into the running of their exam in Edmonton!! Hopefully no-one else will have to be treated like this!
Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I did the IELTS a while back, when we were going to go for the FSW program, we did it in the UK and it took about half a day to complete all 4 modules.
Listening, speaking, reading and writing. If I remember correctly, marks for each part are out of 9 and you need a min of 4 in each, with the higher marks getting you more points.
The day we sat ours, there were approx 200 people doing it, we were the only ones from the UK, trying to get out, everyone else was trying to get in lol.
(we both got 8.5 out of 9, so they're not hard)
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have now received an apology from CELIP who say they are going to look into the running of their exam in Edmonton!! Hopefully no-one else will have to be treated like this!
That's good, well done.