Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Including information for LMIA in Resume?

Including information for LMIA in Resume?

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

gwoodhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Including information for LMIA in Resume?

Hi guys & gals,

With my FSW application sitting nicely in a queue all I really need to do now is get a valid job offer in order to move over there (and to get put on the top of the queue).

My first round of applications go no response apart from one company who asked me what was required in hiring me. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on including this on my Resume (which is 2 pages long! Too long?!):

----

HIRING A FOREIGN WORKER

Hiring a worker from abroad when equally skilled workers are unavailable in Canada is a fairly simple proposition, as long as an employer has already advertised and searched for a similarly qualified and skilled Canadian citizen and not found a suitable candidate. As I am already in the queue for a Federal Skilled Worker Visa a job offer (in the form of an employer applying for a LMIA) is all that is required for my visa application to be accepted and processed. From the CDC website:

“The Temporary Foreign Worker Program lets employers hire foreign workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages. Employers need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to hire through this program.”

The timescales between applying for a LMIA until the employee can begin work (using an intermediary Temporary Foreign Worker visa) should be just over 10 business days (although my notice period from my current employer is 4 weeks). Please see the ESDC website page for information on requirements and how to apply for a LMIA: Hiring Foreign Workers for Higher-skilled Occupations | ESDC

-----

Does that seem reasonable? Do you think it will help employers or put them off before they even consider me?

Hopefully this will be of help to some other people applying for work too!

Graeme
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Including information for LMIA in Resume?

Personally I think that's a fantastic idea. Excellently written, informative but concise.

Sure, it'll put some people off, but screw them people, it'll impress some people too. Showing that you're open and honest, and more importantly, educated about the process of hiring a foreign worker should work in your favour.

At least that's my opinion.

If it came down to it, your application/resume would stand out over someone's who didn't have it. You're considering the thought process of the potential employers and answering a question before they've asked it.

Good work.

P.S. Do keep us updated with the reaction you get. I'd be curious to see what employers' opinions are.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Personally I think that's a fantastic idea. Excellently written, informative but concise.

Sure, it'll put some people off, but screw them people, it'll impress some people too. Showing that you're open and honest, and more importantly, educated about the process of hiring a foreign worker should work in your favour.

At least that's my opinion.

If it came down to it, your application/resume would stand out over someone's who didn't have it. You're considering the thought process of the potential employers and answering a question before they've asked it.

Good work.

P.S. Do keep us updated with the reaction you get. I'd be curious to see what employers' opinions are.
+1. Good luck OP.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:12 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to be negative but you don't mention the cost to the employer or other monetary factors that are bound to be important.

It's catch 22 mention it and it might put people off even trying. Don't mention it and it seems slightly disingenuous.. Sorry- just my opinion!
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

gwoodhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I don't want to be negative but you don't mention the cost to the employer or other monetary factors that are bound to be important.

It's catch 22 mention it and it might put people off even trying. Don't mention it and it seems slightly disingenuous.. Sorry- just my opinion!
That bits okay because the link goes directly through to how much it costs and the requirements.

Plus, $1000 when it comes to hiring isn't very much at all.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. There's being honest, then there's being too honest.

If you're selling a Porsche, you tell them how much the car costs, but you don't tell them that it'll cost $400 when you blow a tyre.