Expereince vs Education

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expereince vs Education

I have just read somewhere on another forum (I closed the page and can't for the life of me find it again) that your education should match your work experience.

In other words, if you have a degree in Geography, and your 1 year of skilled work is under NOC code 1241 (Admin Assistant), then you could be rejected on the basis that your education does not match your work experience.

Interestingly, I have also read that if your skilled experience is different from your 'intended work' then you are also likely to be rejected/deemed ineligible.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm not sure if maybe this is related to the old system, and not Express Entry?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expereince vs Education

I've never heard that before, there's no requirement for your education to match your work experience that I'm aware of. I'd stick to official info from CIC rather than what you've read elsewhere.

HTH.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd stick to official info from CIC rather than what you've read elsewhere.
My thoughts entirely. I just had a moment of panic and wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything.

Thank you very much for confirming!
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:47 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kswoosh;11626545]I have just read somewhere on another forum (I closed the page and can't for the life of me find it again) that your education should match your work experience.

Interestingly, I have also read that if your skilled experience is different from your 'intended work' then you are also likely to be rejected/deemed ineligible.
QUOTE]

I hope not - my degree is in graphic design but 4 years of my current work experience is in youth/residential care with young people.

One of the reasons Ive decided not to get my NVQ assessed as it wouldn't matter with the extra points (degree would give me more).

If this is true then I will need to look into getting that through ECAS as well
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

On the subject of ECAs, have you had an estimated completion date for yours yet? I applied 23 March, and it's just been updated to say they expect it to be completed on the 14th of May.

I appreciate that it may take a while for them to receive the docs, and it does take 20 days... but 14th of May seems ages away!!
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 5:34 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

my degree is in rocket science.
no one asked me to launch a satellite before they let me in
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:51 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
On the subject of ECAs, have you had an estimated completion date for yours yet? I applied 23 March, and it's just been updated to say they expect it to be completed on the 14th of May.

I appreciate that it may take a while for them to receive the docs, and it does take 20 days... but 14th of May seems ages away!!
I havn't even got to that stage yet. All I have done uis found how much it will be for my uni to send my transcipts.

Still waiting on my IEC LOI (want to get that before I start the language test and ECAS).
Old Apr 24th 2015, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

it would depend if you are qualified to do the job you have applied for. if you are applying for a regulated occupation you need equivalent to the Canadian qualification for that position.

if you are applying as an engineer you need a degree in engineering. If you had a degree in history i would imagine CIC would reject the application even if you somehow managed to get a years work experience as an engineer.

the NOC Occupational Descriptions give the educational requirements. for example pilot

A university degree or college diploma may be required.
A commercial pilot's licence or an air transport pilot's licence is required.

i would have thought that CIC would look at the requirements in the NOC descriptions to see if the skilled worker is skilled to do the job but that would be common sense.....
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johntheScot
but that would be common sense.....
Well... no. There are tonnes of skilled jobs which aren't as specific as things like a pilot or an engineer. The likelihood of you getting a job as a pilot without sufficient training is just a ludicrous suggestion.

Clearly I'm not talking about those sorts of situations. It is entirely possible, especially in the UK, that you could end up in a skilled position without the specific degree for that job. Myself being a prime example - I worked as an Admin Assistant, which based on NOC codes is skilled, and have never had a day's admin training in my life.

Similarly Becky's job - she works in social services, but has a degree in an entirely different subject.

So, no, I wouldn't say it was common sense, at all.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

If I did apply under 1311, and CIC rejected it, what would happen? Would I be back to square one, and go back into the pool, and have to wait for the next draw, and a new ITA? Or would I be able to amend my application and keep my ITA?

I assume this would depend on whether changing my job code would affect my points?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 3:46 pm
Bex in the city

[QUOTE=kswoosh;11627309]

It is entirely possible, especially in the UK, that you could end up in a skilled position without the specific degree for that job. Myself being a prime example - I worked as an Admin Assistant, which based on NOC codes is skilled, and have never had a day's admin training in my life.
QUOTE]

That is very true for the UK (which is great) - on the job experience and work based qualifications are the norm but unfortunately not out here. Its all about education, education, education
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:12 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=beckiwoo;11627656]

It is entirely possible, especially in the UK, that you could end up in a skilled position without the specific degree for that job. Myself being a prime example - I worked as an Admin Assistant, which based on NOC codes is skilled, and have never had a day's admin training in my life.
QUOTE]

That is very true for the UK (which is great) - on the job experience and work based qualifications are the norm but unfortunately not out here. Its all about education, education, education
just for fun , I pulled the requirements for a couple of admin assistant positions that are going up for grabs in my little corner of the world (incestuous as it may be)

Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in a fast-paced, multi-faceted office
Proven strength in Microsoft Office with particular emphasis on Word and Excel
A high degree of comfort and proficiency working in a Google environment (Gmail and Google Drive, Google Calendar and Google Communities)
Understanding of and aptitude for using databases– knowledge of Blackbaud is an asset
Familiarity with intranet posting
Keen interest and awareness of evolving technologies and office procedures
Excellent interpersonal skills including strong verbal and written communication skills
Strong organizational and time management skills
Proven ability to take initiative, multi-task, work under pressure, problem-solve and handle confidential information
Ability to grasp the “overall picture” of the various ongoing school events
Effective team player and an ability to work independently
Experience in an educational environment, preferably within the independent school system, is an asset
A high degree of comfort with change
Sense of humour

and another

Highly effective team member with a strong collaborative and consultative approach;
Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate well with faculty/staff, external business partners, students, and parents;
Exceptionally strong skills in problem-solving, organization, project management, time management, and attention to detail;
Ability to prioritize and deal with high volumes of work and manage personal and group deadlines with ease and accuracy;
Strong oral and written communication skills;
Advanced word processing skills; including Word, Excel, Gmail and Photoshop;
Strong capacity for flexibility, self-direction and initiative;
Advanced database management skills, specifically, experience with Blackbaud - Education Edge (queries, reports, exports) an asset;
Post-secondary education or equivalent experience;
A minimum of 3 years in an administrative role; experience in an educational environment an asset

all are heavy on experience , non specify a degree is needed
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Echos my thoughts, basically, Zoe.

Just got my ECA through So excited, going to submit my application tonight...

Annnnnnd MyCIC is down. Brilliant. Annoying because my application expires tomorrow.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:08 pm
Professional Cat herder

Echos my thoughts, basically, Zoe.

Just got my ECA through So excited, going to submit my application tonight...

Annnnnnd MyCIC is down. Brilliant. Annoying because my application expires tomorrow.
hope all goes well.

what I should have mentioned is that those two job postings , may not mention a degree but in my line of work , what they also don't say is " basically we are looking for someone who has worked at one of the other schools in our little network"

no one moves on from this line of work , we just recycle each others employees.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ahhh right. Interesting. Funny how some industries are like that.

Not sure whether to go for 1311. I don't want to get excited about being pulled from the pool with 1311, only for them to say my job doesn't match. Although there is nothing about 1434 that matches my job, I'm just thinking they might care less because it doesn't affect my score.

I guess what it comes down to, is whether I'm going to get pulled from the pool with 444. But there's zero way of telling... Urgh. Boy am I going to be glad when this is over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.