Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

'Landing' / Activating PR, but not moving permanently. Q..

'Landing' / Activating PR, but not moving permanently. Q..

Old Jul 24th 2015, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Landing' / Activating PR, but not moving permanently. Q..

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Include everything you can think you might possibly want to bring. Just because it's 'on the list' doesn't mean you have to actually bring it... but leaving it off will mean you pay taxes and duty for anything that isn't on the list. When calculating the number of boxes of items, I would suggest you increase it by at least half again - it's amazing how you can underestimate what you actually have, and how little goes into a box!

It really doesn't have to be too detailed -

10 boxes of books - $200
2 boxes of kitchen equipment - $300
4 boxes of glassware, china & cutlery - $300
1 Double bed base - $400
1 Dining room table, 4 chairs - $1500
5 boxes of bedding - $400
3 boxes of towels, quilts and assorted linens - $600
2 boxes of paperwork - $0 (NCV)
1 Computer (Dell) Model xyz, serial number 3999933 - $2000
2 boxes assorted computer accessories - $320
1 Camera's (Kodak) Model xyz, serial number 300449 - $250
1 Hitachi Stereo, speakers and surround sound - $450
4 boxes CD's - $560

and so on and so forth.

Any electrical items must have their serial numbers and model listed.
All values are replacement value.
Any high value items must be listed separately with a description.

Thanks siouxie.

Can I ask what I hope isn't a silly question.?

We have just had an appointment / quote with Anglo pacific for a shared container. They dropped off a few boxes 5 + 6 cubic ft in size. I asked for these to give us an idea what small personal items we could cram into them and ultimately decide on the overall amount of goods we will be bringing.

You gave a list above which lists x1 box of 'specific item' Etc. but can I clarify that it's perfectly ok to have a 6cubic ft box, and have that described as 'x1 box of - paperwork, bed linen, photographs, cd's'..?

Thanks
Old Jul 24th 2015, 6:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
Thanks siouxie.

Can I ask what I hope isn't a silly question.?

We have just had an appointment / quote with Anglo pacific for a shared container. They dropped off a few boxes 5 + 6 cubic ft in size. I asked for these to give us an idea what small personal items we could cram into them and ultimately decide on the overall amount of goods we will be bringing.

You gave a list above which lists x1 box of 'specific item' Etc. but can I clarify that it's perfectly ok to have a 6cubic ft box, and have that described as 'x1 box of - paperwork, bed linen, photographs, cd's'..?

Thanks
That's absolutely fine for your 'goods to follow' list. I would recommend that you bear in mind the weight of items and choose your boxes accordingly - hardback books, for instance, weigh a ton (but are easily packed yourself)! You will also find that packing materials will take up a significant amount of space, particularly when it comes to breakables - hence my suggestion that you increase on the list the amount of boxes you might think you are bringing. Far better to overestimate.

If you go from room to room taking notes of what you are likely to bring, you will find it easier than trying to think of it all. If you are not sure if you want to bring something, include it on your list - you can always leave it behind but you can't add it on once you have submitted the list to CBSA.

Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Anglo Pacific boxes have different names according to the size of the box. It should be printed on the side of each box. I used the name of each box in my description on my list eg

1 x book box (and then listed the contents)

S
Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:17 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Your goods to follow list doesn't even need to show the number of boxes. Actual screenshots of the one we used is linked via the wiki. Much easier.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Anglo Pacific boxes have different names according to the size of the box. It should be printed on the side of each box. I used the name of each box in my description on my list eg

1 x book box (and then listed the contents)

S

Yeah that's right. The ones we have been given, as samples I suppose are the 5 cubic ft 'tea cartons'.

Anglo Pacific International PLC Baggage Cartons
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Your goods to follow list doesn't even need to show the number of boxes. Actual screenshots of the one we used is linked via the wiki. Much easier.
Gosh, I wish I had known you could get away with such little detail when I shipped my goods over! Good to know!