Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

'Landing' / Activating PR, but not moving permanently. Q..

'Landing' / Activating PR, but not moving permanently. Q..

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Landing' / Activating PR, but not moving permanently. Q..

Hi,

Planning on going over to 'land' and activate our Permanent Residence visa's. (possibly in October)

I have searched the cic website and the wiki here. But cannot find the exact answer to my question. (coffee probably not kicked in yet... )

When landing in October, we are not yet moving permanently (it's a 7-10 day recce). Can I just clarify that we still require a 'goods to follow' list on this trip? Or does that wait until we move permanently?

Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:54 am
Just Joined

pennydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'Landing' / Activating PR, but not moving permanently. Q..

I've found it to be a 50/50 split depending on who you ask. Former Lancastrian here will tell you it's OK not to have it on your recce and I would love to go with his word, however I go out on my recce Sunday and have got a bit spooked by the inconsistency from other sources so I'm doing a list just in case I get an officer with a differing opinion.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
Hi,

Planning on going over to 'land' and activate our Permanent Residence visa's. (possibly in October)

I have searched the cic website and the wiki here. But cannot find the exact answer to my question. (coffee probably not kicked in yet... )

When landing in October, we are not yet moving permanently (it's a 7-10 day recce). Can I just clarify that we still require a 'goods to follow' list on this trip? Or does that wait until we move permanently?

Thanks
We landed in April at Halifax with same issue. We put our list together as best we could with the intention of not handing it over unless they asked, they did ask though. I tried telling them we are 'not establishing a residence at this time' as Former Lancastrian suggested but they still insisted they needed it now & said that it's not possible to do it at a later date.

Different provinces might handle it differently though.

You should have it ready just in case, you don't want lose the chance of bringing over your stuff over duty free.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well if the officers took time to read the following from their own D Memorandum then perhaps they might notice this

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.
D2-2-1 - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00

So if you are not considered as a settler then the Form B4A and list of goods to follow do not apply in my opinion.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame they are all not as knowledgeable as you FL, I have since remembered a lot of things I forgot to put on my list so now I'm going to be stressing about what I can bring with me.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
It's a shame they are all not as knowledgeable as you FL, I have since remembered a lot of things I forgot to put on my list so now I'm going to be stressing about what I can bring with me.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Usually most goods to follow lists are generic in their descriptions given such as kitchen items/stuff. Is a toaster, kettle etc etc a kitchen item/stuff.
Unless its brand new and never been used CBSA tend not to bother if they find items that are obviously used but cannot find on the list.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

So I shouldn't worry about my 10 boxes of Christmas decorations then.

If we knowingly ship stuff that isn't on the list are we expected to declare it with some sort of extras list or not bother & hope they don't notice/care?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So I shouldn't worry about my 10 boxes of Christmas decorations then.

If we knowingly ship stuff that isn't on the list are we expected to declare it with some sort of extras list or not bother & hope they don't notice/care?
You can additionaly declare it as a sign that you are being totally honest but something like 10 x boxes of xmas decorations isn't a deal breaker as opposed to 10 x boxes of scotch not declared
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You can additionaly declare it as a sign that you are being totally honest but something like 10 x boxes of xmas decorations isn't a deal breaker as opposed to 10 x boxes of scotch not declared
Haha thanks. What about a couple of additional second hand pieces of furniture? I don't fancy paying duty on something that cost me £20 form the charity shop
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

pennydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks FL- I think we should all land with you,less hassle that way

Haha thanks. What about a couple of additional second hand pieces of furniture? I don't fancy paying duty on something that cost me £20 form the charity shop
I figure that if I refurbish my £5 pair of old stools and decide to bring them with me, they'll have a hard time trying to come up with a fee to charge me so I'm going to take the risk. I find it hard to believe any extra charge would be more than I actually paid.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pennydog
Thanks FL- I think we should all land with you,less hassle that way

I figure that if I refurbish my £5 pair of old stools and decide to bring them with me, they'll have a hard time trying to come up with a fee to charge me so I'm going to take the risk. I find it hard to believe any extra charge would be more than I actually paid.
True, second hand furniture or stuff they consider antique is quite expensive over there though, they could have a completely different idea of what it's worth.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 1:18 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was also asked for his GTF when we landed but weren't establishing residency. The general line is to have it just in case, but hope you aren't asked for it. The wiki article on landing has a link to the very generic one my husband and I put together, we were just fine to use the same one when we did actually ship our stuff months later, it didn't end up varying too much from what we put on that list at all.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for reviving an old thread, and thank you for the replies. Even if they are conflicting! No offence FormerLancastrian lol.

So I'm just confirming then that we DO need a form B4 (goods to follow list) when we go on our recce in October. Even if we are not staying permanently and our goods won't be arriving until we do (possibly Summer 2016)...

I suppose the main guide to follow (as much as the help on here can be excellent and its appreciated) should be the CIC website.
And from reading that it does state :

"Before you arrive, you should prepare two copies of a list (preferably typed) of all the goods you intend to bring into Canada as settler’s effects, showing the value, make, model and serial number.
Divide the list into two sections: the goods you are bringing with you and the goods to follow.
Present this list to the border services officer on your first point of arrival in Canada, even if you are not bringing in any goods at that time."

The thing I'm concerned about at the moment is we (my wife and I ) haven't yet drew up any kind of list. Now we know we HAVE to do it, its now a priority! lol

Its been mentioned here, and I read it somewhere else (wiki I think) that you can not add to your 'list' after a customs officer has stamped it... So what have we agreed is the best course of action for that scenario?

Pennydog, How did your experience landing go?
Old Jul 21st 2015, 4:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Include everything you can think you might possibly want to bring. Just because it's 'on the list' doesn't mean you have to actually bring it... but leaving it off will mean you pay taxes and duty for anything that isn't on the list. When calculating the number of boxes of items, I would suggest you increase it by at least half again - it's amazing how you can underestimate what you actually have, and how little goes into a box!

It really doesn't have to be too detailed -

10 boxes of books - $200
2 boxes of kitchen equipment - $300
4 boxes of glassware, china & cutlery - $300
1 Double bed base - $400
1 Dining room table, 4 chairs - $1500
5 boxes of bedding - $400
3 boxes of towels, quilts and assorted linens - $600
2 boxes of paperwork - $0 (NCV)
1 Computer (Dell) Model xyz, serial number 3999933 - $2000
2 boxes assorted computer accessories - $320
1 Camera's (Kodak) Model xyz, serial number 300449 - $250
1 Hitachi Stereo, speakers and surround sound - $450
4 boxes CD's - $560

and so on and so forth.

Any electrical items must have their serial numbers and model listed.
All values are replacement value.
Any high value items must be listed separately with a description.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 21st 2015 at 5:03 am.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:50 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

The wiki article on landing has examples in it as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.