Landed 24th August in Calgary!

Old Sep 7th 2008, 4:31 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all
Default Landed 24th August in Calgary!

Hey everyone, thought it was about time I checked in to let you read our experiences of leaving the UK for Calgary.

We flew out 31st July after a manic pack up, that only ended the night before, when we left for a hotel near the airport, courtesy of air-mlies! We left before our boxes, owing to a mix up with the shipping company - mainly caused, it seems, by th only person working there who actually knows what she's doing being away! Luckily our kind neighbours helped us sort that 7 the boxes left the next morning!

Airmiles have been great actually - as we used them to book our hire car too & saved oursleves loads. So if you're a way off yet & shop at Tescos' BP etc etc it's worth hanging on to those miles!

We took a much needed re-charge holiday in Flroida before taking a flight to Calgary. However, we had booked the tickets in a real hurry at Gatwick because the check-in staff were antsy about the US immigration & our one-way ticket. This resulted in us booking a flight that landed in Toronto, so we had just 1.5 hrs to clear customs & immigration there!! I cannot even begin to tell you how helpful they all were there - YES HELPFUL!!! They saw our flight times & farmed out all our paperwrok (there are 5 of us) between them all & we made the connection - just - we had to run down the concourse & it was still thanks to ground crew deciding they would load us & our luggage on to the plane - we were told we'd have to wait for the next flight oroginally!

I know there are tales of unhelpful staff etc so I just wanted to let you know that we have had nothing but help since we got to Canada.

We've brought 2 cards, coaches, TV's, beds etc etc, spent shedloads of money & still have plenty to do. We got our health cards & Sin numbers in person - definitely worth it, as my douaghter managed to crack a bone in her foot within days of arriving & is now sporting a bright orange cast!!!!

The schools we've picked seem great & the kids are all happy. The younger 2 are already settled, the teen is still finding his feet a bit (although he has now started to make a couple of friends - which is good) but he's very happy & loves the way the school treats the students like adults. He's chosen sports med as one of his options & part of the course means they have to assist with one of the schools teams - he signed up to help the women's volleyball team - so I think he's getting his act together!!!!

We also purchsed a Tomtom & I really recommend that to those that need to do a lot in a short time - it was only $149 & has saved us so much stress!!

I do wish the C-train had better maps though - you think you know where to get off only to find that it doesn't stop at that stop on the way into the city, just on the way out!! So if you're taking it for the 1st time you REALLY need to make sure you know where you have to get off. we've been in twice now got it wrong twice!!

Well, good luck to everyone else making the journey here, or anywhere else in Canada. We don't regret a thing so far & already feel very comfortable - although my hubbie says that if he never sees another flat-pack in his life it will be too soon!!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Landed 24th August in Calgary!

Originally Posted by RN1
Hey everyone, thought it was about time I checked in to let you read our experiences of leaving the UK for Calgary.

We flew out 31st July after a manic pack up, that only ended the night before, when we left for a hotel near the airport, courtesy of air-mlies! We left before our boxes, owing to a mix up with the shipping company - mainly caused, it seems, by th only person working there who actually knows what she's doing being away! Luckily our kind neighbours helped us sort that 7 the boxes left the next morning!

Airmiles have been great actually - as we used them to book our hire car too & saved oursleves loads. So if you're a way off yet & shop at Tescos' BP etc etc it's worth hanging on to those miles!

We took a much needed re-charge holiday in Flroida before taking a flight to Calgary. However, we had booked the tickets in a real hurry at Gatwick because the check-in staff were antsy about the US immigration & our one-way ticket. This resulted in us booking a flight that landed in Toronto, so we had just 1.5 hrs to clear customs & immigration there!! I cannot even begin to tell you how helpful they all were there - YES HELPFUL!!! They saw our flight times & farmed out all our paperwrok (there are 5 of us) between them all & we made the connection - just - we had to run down the concourse & it was still thanks to ground crew deciding they would load us & our luggage on to the plane - we were told we'd have to wait for the next flight oroginally!

I know there are tales of unhelpful staff etc so I just wanted to let you know that we have had nothing but help since we got to Canada.

We've brought 2 cards, coaches, TV's, beds etc etc, spent shedloads of money & still have plenty to do. We got our health cards & Sin numbers in person - definitely worth it, as my douaghter managed to crack a bone in her foot within days of arriving & is now sporting a bright orange cast!!!!

The schools we've picked seem great & the kids are all happy. The younger 2 are already settled, the teen is still finding his feet a bit (although he has now started to make a couple of friends - which is good) but he's very happy & loves the way the school treats the students like adults. He's chosen sports med as one of his options & part of the course means they have to assist with one of the schools teams - he signed up to help the women's volleyball team - so I think he's getting his act together!!!!

We also purchsed a Tomtom & I really recommend that to those that need to do a lot in a short time - it was only $149 & has saved us so much stress!!

I do wish the C-train had better maps though - you think you know where to get off only to find that it doesn't stop at that stop on the way into the city, just on the way out!! So if you're taking it for the 1st time you REALLY need to make sure you know where you have to get off. we've been in twice now got it wrong twice!!

Well, good luck to everyone else making the journey here, or anywhere else in Canada. We don't regret a thing so far & already feel very comfortable - although my hubbie says that if he never sees another flat-pack in his life it will be too soon!!
Brilliant read
nice to hear your settling in well and finding your feet, we too will coming to calgary in a few weeks time , never thought about the one way ticket if you want a holiday we was going to do the same, might pass now i just want to get there and settle.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:02 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Julie_p
Brilliant read
nice to hear your settling in well and finding your feet, we too will coming to calgary in a few weeks time , never thought about the one way ticket if you want a holiday we was going to do the same, might pass now i just want to get there and settle.
Actually US immigration were fine, didn't even ask any questions. So in actual fact we needn't have bothered!

Although Murphy's law would probably say that if we hadn't they would have asked!

Good luck for your journey!!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RN1

Sounds good. What area are you in.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:01 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sounds good. What area are you in.
Edgemont