Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Just starting out - immigration lawyer/application advice please

Just starting out - immigration lawyer/application advice please

Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

princess caribou is on a distinguished road
Question Just starting out - immigration lawyer/application advice please

Hi All,

Am new to the forum and based in the UK.

My husband and I are in the process to completing the forms for Permanent Residence under the Federal Skilled Worker category.

My husband is a fully qualified plumber and on the in demand occupation list and on the assessment we completed on the CIC website we scored 72 points.

I would appreciate some advice from those of you who have successfully made the move:

1. Should we be looking to use a consultant/lawyer? As far as i can see they will just fill the forms and submit for you - we will still have to do the work so to speak - but would it be sensible to get someone just to check them for us?

2. If we submit the forms without getting them checked and there is a mistake or discrepancy that we overlooked does that mean our application will fail and we don't get a second chance?

3. My husband has quite a long job history i.e. 10 jobs in as many years plus a couple of short periods of unemployment so I was wondering if this would count against us?

4. Does Canada recognise UK City and Guilds/NVQ 3 as my husband's qualification?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit silly it's just that we're really nervous about making the application!

I would appreciate all your expert advice and look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Princess Caribou

Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:22 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting out - immigration lawyer/application advice please

Originally Posted by princess caribou
Hi All,

My husband and I are in the process to completing the forms for Permanent Residence under the Federal Skilled Worker category.

My husband is a fully qualified plumber and on the in demand occupation list and on the assessment we completed on the CIC website we scored 72 points.

I would appreciate some advice from those of you who have successfully made the move:

1. Should we be looking to use a consultant/lawyer? As far as i can see they will just fill the forms and submit for you - we will still have to do the work so to speak - but would it be sensible to get someone just to check them for us?

2. If we submit the forms without getting them checked and there is a mistake or discrepancy that we overlooked does that mean our application will fail and we don't get a second chance?

3. My husband has quite a long job history i.e. 10 jobs in as many years plus a couple of short periods of unemployment so I was wondering if this would count against us?

4. Does Canada recognise UK City and Guilds/NVQ 3 as my husband's qualification?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit silly it's just that we're really nervous about making the application!

Many thanks

Princess Caribou

Hi and welcome.

I will try and answer your questions to the best of my limited ability having recently completed the process.

1/ It doesn't sound like you need a lawyer if you are in the list of 38 and you have 72 points you will be fine.

2/ Gather as much evidence as you can for each section and label each section clearly. Doublecheck everything. Also do a coverletter explaining where you believe your points are from. Don't worry- if your case is well backed up in each section then you will be fine and they will be in touch if they have any further questions.

3/ Short periods will not affect your case. I had 6 jobs in 10 years and was fine.

4/ I'm afraid I can't help with this. I think this is your biggest point of concern. Everything else you sound fine on.

Kind regards

James
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Princess Caribou

1. The question of whether or not to use an Immigration consultant/lawyer is for you to decide. I would not recommend doing so unless you just can't put together a file of paperwork. If you did use one, you would not get any preferential treatment, and you would still have to collect all the documents together,and pay quite a large fee, so you may as well do the rest yourself. There is a guide as to what goes in each section and as long as you work through it all in a methodical fashion, you should be able to do it. I applied before the simplified application, so I had to do the whole file from the outset. I believe the simplified way is just to submit a few pieces of paperwork.....then nearer the time you will be asked for the rest. So I would use that time to gather together all your paperwork, so when you are asked for it...it won't be a mad panic for you.

2. Once you have done the forms, I would just get a friend, a fresh pair of eyes, to look for any errors as it is not always easy to spot your own errors.

3. The job history...as long as you can evidence them and hubby has been in his profession for the number of years, you should be okay.

4. I dont think you will have any probs with his City and Guilds, or NVQ3 as that will count as his post secondary qualification for the additional years and towards the skill level.

I am no expert, and if I have got anything wrong, someone else will no doubt correct me
Good luck with your applicatio..... Go for it!
Stef

Hi All,

Many thanks

Princess Caribou

Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:12 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

1) Some find them useful, especially if there are any slightly different issues like run ins with the police, medical issues, family issues. Otherwise, I think really they offer more of a quality assurance on the application forms themselves. There is no special treatment for apps supported by them.

4) Now I am really no expert on this but from what I have read, there is sometimes some strict issues for trades qualified abroad - something called 'Red seal', as well as experience criteria. I'm sure others on here will know more.
There might be more on the wiki, or if you google red seal. The following links might also help :
http://www.cicic.ca/383/foreign-cred...gnition.canada
http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]

Good luck
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for your quick replies the advice and the links which were very useful. We've started preparing a portfolio of my husband's work and ordered some Canadian plumbing books from Amazon!

Princess Caribou
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:58 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I don't see a problem with doing this yourselves.

To clarify regarding your husbs qualifications, they will count towards your points regarding the application (therefore make sure all job history, refs from previous employers confirming this and certificates of his qualifications are included).

Now when the long haul is over and you move to Canada, he will need Canadian certification as UK quals are not recognised.

As was stated above this is called the Red Seal which is an exam he will have to pass to gain his Journeyman certificate. He applies to take the exam and they will need to know that he has the correct background to just go ahead and sit it (but if he has all his C&G certs then this will be fine).

You have to prove this so that not just anyone can go ahead and sit the exam. Now I can't for the life of me remember the site but there is one that has been mentioned on here before which gives you samples of the exam.

Granted you have to pay to access the site and take the tests but its not loads of money and it is so worth it so you can at least get your head around whats going to be coming
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Princess Caribou
City & Guilds will help with your post secondary education as other members have mentioned, i would also advise to double/triple check your points and work on the low side but as long as you have 67 you'll be fine ( for points ).
Welcome to to forum and all the best with your application
regards
Joinerboy

Last edited by joinerboy; Oct 25th 2009 at 9:27 am.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again for your replies and sorry one more question - am sure there will be LOADS more questions over the next few weeks so please bear with me -

How far back does my husband need to go in obtaining job references? There's nothing on the CIC website that indicates how far back he needs to go. E.g. will they really want to know about a 2 week stint he did 10 years ago in the local pub when he finished school?! Just trying to plan ahead....

Many thanks
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Q: How far back does my husband need to go in obtaining job references

Supply as much as possible but don't worry about the part time job years ago
( but detail all employment history on application form in required section ) with regard to detailed references you will need the ones linked with the 'NOC' your applying under. These references need to confirm duties ( match those detailed in NOC info) and experience ( min 1yr in last 10 yrs )
regards
Joinerboy
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Your initial application forms will need to be sent to Sydney NS ( address can be found on CIC site ) at this stage you won't be required to send supporting documents such as refs & photos etc ( these items will be required later by London ), just a fully the completed application forms plus a photo copy of your passport ( copy required for each applicant ) and the initial application fee .

Regards
Joinerboy

Last edited by joinerboy; Oct 25th 2009 at 1:18 pm.