Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Just received Arranged Employment Opinion...some questions!

Just received Arranged Employment Opinion...some questions!

Old Nov 11th 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just received Arranged Employment Opinion...some questions!

In my opinion, AEO is for supporting a Candidate for PR by foreseeing the need. LMO is for more immediate need. You can use LMO with a letter from Employer with intent to make you permenant once you have PR for applying under FSW2.

I too have a application under FSW1 in London pending, I sent my LMO details to update my file which resulted in a Thank you letter from the London CHC but nothing else, I havent had any change in my status from RBVO in 5 months after sending all the updated documents.

In light of the recent delays in processing FSW1, may be having another application in FSW2 in parallel my help... purely my opinion...
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:03 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sudha
In my opinion, AEO is for supporting a Candidate for PR by foreseeing the need. LMO is for more immediate need. You can use LMO with a letter from Employer with intent to make you permenant once you have PR for applying under FSW2.

I too have a application under FSW1 in London pending, I sent my LMO details to update my file which resulted in a Thank you letter from the London CHC but nothing else, I havent had any change in my status from RBVO in 5 months after sending all the updated documents.

In light of the recent delays in processing FSW1, may be having another application in FSW2 in parallel my help... purely my opinion...
FSW Cat 2 is not processing faster than Cat 1 at the moment, in fact it is slower if the experiences of posters on here is to go by.

Having a Cat 2 application in alongside Cat 1 gives no benefit whatsoever.

The only sensible thing to do if you want to actually get over to Canada to start work with pre-arranged employer as soon as possible is LMO and TWP OR apply to PNP.

Of those two options, the LMO is quicker - you could have the LMO in 4 weeks (as we did in BC) and TWP at the border in 20 minutes but it is the riskier option if you are not sure how long the PR will take, as you have to renew the LMO at the end of the work permit and it might be that they only give you a one year TWP (which is what happened to us).

PNP frees you from all that worry. It allows you to work, which AEO does not and once you are approved the application goes on as FSW but the PNP supports future TWP renewals.

I would advise anyone to avoid Cat 2 and go for PNP if they have arranged employment and want to get working in Canada any time soon.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helcat12
FSW Cat 2 is not processing faster than Cat 1 at the moment, in fact it is slower if the experiences of posters on here is to go by.

Having a Cat 2 application in alongside Cat 1 gives no benefit whatsoever.

The only sensible thing to do if you want to actually get over to Canada to start work with pre-arranged employer as soon as possible is LMO and TWP OR apply to PNP.

Of those two options, the LMO is quicker - you could have the LMO in 4 weeks (as we did in BC) and TWP at the border in 20 minutes but it is the riskier option if you are not sure how long the PR will take, as you have to renew the LMO at the end of the work permit and it might be that they only give you a one year TWP (which is what happened to us).

PNP frees you from all that worry. It allows you to work, which AEO does not and once you are approved the application goes on as FSW but the PNP supports future TWP renewals.

I would advise anyone to avoid Cat 2 and go for PNP if they have arranged employment and want to get working in Canada any time soon.

Great info, I have been trying to squeeze a letter from my employer to support my PR (I am in Canada using LMO). So, its not of any use then. I would certainly look into the PNP as you mentioned, it does look like a better option. Do you know if you have will be eligible to work only to the employer specified if you go through the PNP route for WP.

Thanks for the great info..
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:32 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sudha
Great info, I have been trying to squeeze a letter from my employer to support my PR (I am in Canada using LMO). So, its not of any use then. I would certainly look into the PNP as you mentioned, it does look like a better option. Do you know if you have will be eligible to work only to the employer specified if you go through the PNP route for WP.

Thanks for the great info..
Don't know if you are tied to the employer but you must stay in the Province while your PR is going through.

We would have done PNP rather than FSW if we had been given the right advice at the time. The stress and upset of being apart and worrying about the LMO renewal was horrible and PNP would have avoided all that.

No point for us now, as we are due meds very soon, but if it works for you, then great stuff!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:51 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I am just confused why you bothered with the AEO and did not just do an LMO to start with? Unless you had assumed that once you had the AEO you could add it to your Cat 1 application, turning it to a Cat 2 and assuming it would go through faster - all of which is not something you can do anyway.
Hiya,

No, no-ones missing anything...

Basically, it came down to thinking that it could be added to the application afterwards....naively thinking, "well surely it can't harm? It's gotta look better for us, hasn't it?" ....that old idea of common sense I s'pose.

The other thing is, it really hasn't been much effort to gain. We met the employer last year through our friend and he really liked my husband and was really enthusiastic, saying how he could really use his skills etc. The employer has pretty much designed the role for him.

This is why I'm unsure how the LMO would go down. Employer likes husband and they got on famousbut blah blah but the role isn't one that he's advertised for, he just believes he can slot OH in perfectly. It's not a huge set up either, just a modest construction firm.

Does an AEO have an expiry date? Just thinking about every possible eventuality..

I'm really liking the sound of the PNP and everything you have talked about is interesting. I'm just trying to get my head round LMO's when it comes to the PNP

Thanks for all your input, it is really helping
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:28 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Just received Arranged Employment Opinion...some questions!

I know this thread is nearly a month old, but some things have happened in the meantime.

Whilst waiting for the AEO paperwork to materialise, I e-mailed CIC London on 17/11 and told them we had an AEO. I asked that, although our file was already submitted as Cat1 (no job offer), seeing as it had not yet been reviewed and was 14 months since AOR, would they please consider the AEO as part of our application. They replied on 23/11 with a personalised response and stated that if we had an AEO, please could we send the documents to them with a covering letter and they would see if our file would be eligible for priority processing.

So, since this, the job offer letter was signed and returned to the company and following this Service Canada issued a Positive Arranged Employment Opinion This document was forwarded to us and this morning, I attached this and the job offer letter and e-mailed CIC.

27 minutes later, I had received a personalised reply stating that since receiving the documents, our file had been subjected to a preliminary review and due to a Positive AEO, our file was eligible for expedited processing. They stated it would be reviewed by an Immigration Officer in the near future.

Good eh?

So it seems that they will apply common sense, if you get a positive AEO even 14 months after your application was first submitted.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Elen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really nice

Hi there,

Congrats on the positive outcome

I have applied under FSW2 with AEO (post June 2010)but I'm not sure what the Visa Office means by 'expedited processing'? as I have now been waiting just over a year without a word about anything (apart from PER in March 2011).

I am more hopeful from your post that I will get some sort of contact in the new year but I won't get too excited

E
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:01 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

Originally Posted by Elen1981
Hi there,

Congrats on the positive outcome

I have applied under FSW2 with AEO (post June 2010)but I'm not sure what the Visa Office means by 'expedited processing'? as I have now been waiting just over a year without a word about anything (apart from PER in March 2011).

I am more hopeful from your post that I will get some sort of contact in the new year but I won't get too excited

E
Hiya,
Cheers for the reply.
I don't really know what time scales are involved with post-June '10 applicants as we were pre-June '10. I'm not sure anyone really knows, as from what I understand, average file processing times haven't been published yet.

I am thinking expedited processing means quicker, but how quick, who knows? With the Xmas + NY hols coming up, longer than normal, I would imagine...

The very best of look with your own application, Elen1981

Katie
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Elen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really nice

Good luck with yours too

Don't mean to put a dampner on your triumph and positive news from London VO doesn't happen very often after all! Hopefully the AEO will eventually help to speed up applications for both of us

Keep me posted if you get any other good news