Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Job Offer Received - Where do I start?

Job Offer Received - Where do I start?

Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Default Job Offer Received - Where do I start?

Hi,

My husband has just received a job offer through and the employer is wanting him to start really quickly, in the next couple of weeks.

He is a long haul truck driver and will need to sort out his TWP at the airport but I'm not entirely sure what happens about me and the kids.

I work full time and have to give 3 months notice so there is no way me and our two daughters can go out with my husband, which I am a little disappointed at, but sometimes you have to do things which don't fit into the 'ideal world'. What I'm confused about is what documentation I will need to provide when I finally do go over.

We are thinking of all going over (Calgary area) at Easter just to look at schools, ares to live etc, my husband will probably then stay and we will come back to the UK until I've worked my notice and sorted things out at this end. Because we are going to be in Alberta I believe I will be able to work even though we're going on my husband's TWP, although to be honest I probably won't work to start with but it is good to have the option should it be needed.

I presume there is no restriction in me going over with my husband and then coming back to the UK 10 days later?

Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer Received - Where do I start?

Originally Posted by Smudger75
My husband has just received a job offer through and the employer is wanting him to start really quickly, in the next couple of weeks.
Congrats! Has the employer already got the LMO though? If not, he's very unlikely to be starting in two weeks.

He is a long haul truck driver and will need to sort out his TWP at the airport but I'm not entirely sure what happens about me and the kids.
He can sort out his TWP at the airport, but only if he's got his LMO. Info is in the Wiki about how to apply for TWP at POE and what documentation he'll need.

I work full time and have to give 3 months notice so there is no way me and our two daughters can go out with my husband, which I am a little disappointed at, but sometimes you have to do things which don't fit into the 'ideal world'. What I'm confused about is what documentation I will need to provide when I finally do go over.
As you will be in Alberta (the only province that allows this), you can get a Spousal Open Work Permit, so will need the documentation for that (again, info in the Wiki). Even if you don't plan to work straight away, I'd get the SOWP, particularly as it's only a pilot program so they may scrap it and you may loose the chance to get one in the future.

I presume there is no restriction in me going over with my husband and then coming back to the UK 10 days later?
No problem at all.

Good luck and congrats again!