Job Contract Notice period

Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

ldonnison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Contract Notice period

Hi
My partner has been offered a job contract, however there is no notice period on it. What is the standard notice period in such a case? Furtheremore
he was inforemd there was a 3 month probation period however there is no mention of it in the contract, Can anyone advice on this please?
regards
Louise
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:54 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all
Default Re: Job Contract Notice period

Originally Posted by ldonnison
Hi
My partner has been offered a job contract, however there is no notice period on it. What is the standard notice period in such a case? Furtheremore
he was inforemd there was a 3 month probation period however there is no mention of it in the contract, Can anyone advice on this please?
regards
Louise
Hello.

It is very different from industry to industry, but a look here http://www.psagency-agencefp.gc.ca/hrh/prob-eng.asp should give you an idea what the law says for public services. Also check

http://labourrelations.org/LabourLaw...LawCanada.html

or a search at google with
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=labour+law+canada

Last edited by retsujou; Sep 29th 2008 at 7:57 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Hi
regards
Louise
I believe if it's not mentioned in the contract then it's 30 days. The 3 month probation should have been mentioned in the contract.

I'd be a bit concerned about the company your partner is going to work for if they are not stipulating these points in an employment contract as they are quite basic. It seems unprofessional as if they don't want to acknowledge your partner's basic rights.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:35 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiton6
I believe if it's not mentioned in the contract then it's 30 days.
In Alberta, which is the province with which I'm most familiar, you have to give one week's notice if you have worked for the employer for between three months and two years, and two weeks' notice if you have worked for him or her for over two years.

This varies from province to province. I am unfamiliar with the regulations in other provinces, including BC, to which I moved a couple of weeks ago.

The 3 month probation should have been mentioned in the contract.
I agree.

I'd be a bit concerned about the company your partner is going to work for if they are not stipulating these points in an employment contract as they are quite basic. It seems unprofessional as if they don't want to acknowledge your partner's basic rights.
Again, I agree. But you will save yourself from disappointment if you expect to be underwhelmed by labour standards in Canada (and I think Alberta has one of the most laissez-faire cultures of all the provinces).
x
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

ldonnison is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes its in BC. Thanks so much for the advice I agree we were surprised about the lack of details which is why we wanted some advice as we are new to Canada
thanks
Louise
Old Sep 30th 2008, 4:36 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Yes its in BC. Thanks so much for the advice I agree we were surprised about the lack of details which is why we wanted some advice as we are new to Canada
thanks
Louise
A contract does not override BC Employment Standards, which states that an employee can be terminated without notice during the first 3 months. The notice period is generally accepted as the same as the pay frequency, i.e. if you are paid bi-weekly. then two weeks notice. However unless contractually obliged an employee can walk off the job anytime without notice. Not perhaps a nice thing to do, but it does happen. The only difference between leaving with or without notice and being fired is the time period the employer has to pay employee wages & holiday pay and give them their ROE.
Often a contract of employment does not repeat what is contained in statute unless it is better terms than the legal minimum.
The law favours the employee rather than the employer.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 30th 2008 at 5:43 am.