Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Issues with completing Citizenship Application

Issues with completing Citizenship Application

Old May 16th 2021, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Issues with completing Citizenship Application

I downloaded the current Citizenship Application form onto my computer, and proceeded to fill it in. When it came to filling in the years I had filed taxes.... it would not allow me to put the tax years... then later on, filling in another box, it would only allow me to fill in a few sentences, then it would not allow me to go any further. This is the latest application form... I filled it in at the start of the year as a practice run and had no issues.

Am I correct that you can only fill it in on your computer? You cannot download the form and fill it in by hand?

Last edited by Karib; May 16th 2021 at 5:54 pm. Reason: mistake
Old May 16th 2021, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Issues with completing Citizenship Application

Okay, I figured out why it would not allow me to put the tax years in. In the instructions, it says that the tax years are auto generated after completing question 9 re eligibility.

I still have a issue with question 16: the box provided for you to write your reasons, it only allows you to write a limited amount of characters. Roughly three lines.

Last edited by Karib; May 16th 2021 at 7:01 pm. Reason: Additional info
Old May 26th 2021, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked to see if you’re eligible to apply online? Not saying it’ll be processed any quicker, but was an hour or two’s work spread over a couple of days, everything uploaded, no need to print stuff and pay for postage, track it got there, etc…
Old May 26th 2021, 8:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karib
Okay, I figured out why it would not allow me to put the tax years in. In the instructions, it says that the tax years are auto generated after completing question 9 re eligibility.

I still have a issue with question 16: the box provided for you to write your reasons, it only allows you to write a limited amount of characters. Roughly three lines.
If it gives you the opportunity to 'add a sheet' at the end of the application you can add more detail there. If you don't have enough room and can't give a full explanation no doubt they will contact you for more details.
Old May 28th 2021, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I didn’t think everybody was allowed to apply online. My understanding is most people still have to apply on paper.
That being said be prepared for a very very long wait. We originally applied Sept 2019 and we’re still not done!
Old May 28th 2021, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I didn’t think everybody was allowed to apply online. My understanding is most people still have to apply on paper.
That being said be prepared for a very very long wait. We originally applied Sept 2019 and we’re still not done!
If you’re a single applicant and have nothing weird like time spent with crown employed spouse overseas etc, you can apply online. It’s supposed to be randomly selecting 1 in 11 applicants for this route, but there’s a direct link which gets you through the lottery process.

That said, anecdotally on other fora, AOR has been much slower with online apps in 2021 than paper apps. Whether online will catch up I don’t know. But the ease of filling in a web form versus editing a PDF was well worth it for me.

Having been through the spousal PR process I’m hoping I can dig deep and be patent again!

Good luck with your apps, hope you hear back soon
Old May 30th 2021, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

The canada.ca citizenship page states that a select few have been invited to apply online.
Old May 30th 2021, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

The canada.ca citizenship page states that a select few have been invited to apply online.
And my point is you can choose to be one of these “select few”, if you so wish. But not clear it will speed things up.

https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing
Old May 30th 2021, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Will_PA
And my point is you can choose to be one of these “select few”, if you so wish. But not clear it will speed things up.

https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing
Thanks! I was not aware of that.
Old May 30th 2021, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, another question. On the citizenship application form, any questions that do not apply to you, do you leave them blank or put a "NA"?
Old May 30th 2021, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, another question. On the citizenship application form, any questions that do not apply to you, do you leave them blank or put a "NA"?
For the paper forms, I think so. Online you don’t have to worry about uncertainties like this