International Experience Canada

Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by Smithontour
Cheers guys thats handy info. I am also currently here on a 6 month tourist visa so I can be with my girlfriend and I intend on using every day of it. Hopefully by then I will have my IEC approved and will fly home to get it and come back a month later.
The LOI is emailed to you so if you get approved while you are here,you just have to head down to the closest border and flagpole rather than flying home. You could save yourself a return flight. That's assuming you have no other need to go home of course.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smithontour is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by .c.s.o.
The LOI is emailed to you so if you get approved while you are here,you just have to head down to the closest border and flagpole rather than flying home. You could save yourself a return flight. That's assuming you have no other need to go home of course.
Oh right, thats good to know, thanks
Old Nov 15th 2012, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

PWaring is an unknown quantity at this point

At the expense of sounding like a complete newbie, can I just ask what LOI stands for, just to be 100% sure. I'm assuming "Letter of Invitation," right?

(I did check the abbreviations list, it wasn't there :'D)
Old Nov 15th 2012, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

empirestate is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied last year, and my application was rejected, stupid me missed ONE signature on the main form. Should I start again from scratch? or sign in the space and resend the same form? asking this for few reasons, A) because i know the forms right aside from that one mistake, and b) because ive applied and been rejected does it mean my case number etc is all the same? or a totally new application starts with numbers? Obv i would have sent it back and retried but by time it was returned applications had closed.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

PWaring is an unknown quantity at this point

For all those that are interested, I received an email today from BUNAC stating that their 2013 IEC application window is now open.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PWaring
For all those that are interested, I received an email today from BUNAC stating that their 2013 IEC application window is now open.
This is for a 'support package' offered by Bunac, which as of 2013 does not include a visa, which has to be applied for directly through the High Commission. Just to clarify!
Old Nov 16th 2012, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

alfreton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys, so total newbie with this.

I am heading to Canada early december to go snowboard for a little while, 3 months, i have a return flight to the UK for beginning of March. However, I want to apply for an IEC in January then (hopefully) pick up my LOI when im back in the UK in March and then head back April. is this possible to apply from being in Canada as a tourist? and also, what can i do now to prepare, i've got my Police Check already. anything else?

cheers

also edit - i have a job offer from a Vancouver based company, am i able to apply for a PNP considering i have not worked for them before (on payroll)? - i have but as an intern a while back - during BUNAC days. i guess it would be low level skilled worker as a product designer?

Last edited by alfreton; Nov 16th 2012 at 8:02 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfreton
Hi Guys, so total newbie with this.

I am heading to Canada early december to go snowboard for a little while, 3 months, i have a return flight to the UK for beginning of March. However, I want to apply for an IEC in January then (hopefully) pick up my LOI when im back in the UK in March and then head back April.
They send LOIs by e-mail.

is this possible to apply from being in Canada as a tourist?
Yes, you still just have to post it to the High Commission in London for processing just as you would if you were in the UK.

and also, what can i do now to prepare, i've got my Police Check already. anything else?
Passport sized photos. Look into health insurance insurance.

cheers

also edit - i have a job offer from a Vancouver based company, am i able to apply for a PNP considering i have not worked for them before (on payroll)? - i have but as an intern a while back - during BUNAC days. i guess it would be low level skilled worker as a product designer?
It may be better to start a new thread for things relating to Vancouver's PNP, so that you attract an audience that know's more about that.

Last edited by BritishExpatriate; Nov 17th 2012 at 3:31 am.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:46 am
Just Joined

alfreton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
They send LOIs by e-mail.

Yes, you still just have to post it to the High Commission in London for processing just as you would if you were in the UK.

Passport sized photos. Look into health insurance insurance.

It may be better to start a new thread for things relating to Vancouver's PNP, so that you attract an audience that know's more about that.
thanks for that, will do. cheers
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

hopelong7 is an unknown quantity at this point

So is it definitely 3 years in total for irish citizens on an IEC programme?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopelong7
So is it definitely 3 years in total for irish citizens on an IEC programme?
My understanding is that's only if you have previously taken part before.

If you're applying for the first time in 2013, you are only allowed to participate once for a two year stretch. If you have already taken part in IEC once before, then you're allowed to apply for a second time, and you get the full two-year stretch.

So the three year thing is only for people who have lucked out and have participated once before.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:11 am
Just Joined

sq85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum so take it easy on me

I have just returned from Toronto and have no doubt that I want to work out there, at least for a year. I was originally considering applying through BUNAC but having read through this thread, I can see from 2013 they are no longer assisting with visas.

The smarter option appears to be that I apply directly myself. I received an email from the IEC team saying they will post details late November but I want to get the process started now.

My questions are:

- The early posts mention problems getting the $2500 funds verified by the banks. Is this still a problem? Or do I just need to show proof of my funds on entry?
- Does anyone have an electronic copy of the IEC application for 2012 so I can familiarise myself with it?
- Worst case scenario I don't get accepted on the IEC, would an open work permit be my next viable option to work in Canada? I would qualify as a highly skilled migrant but as far as i'm aware this process takes a long time and I want to shift over ASAP.

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sq85
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum so take it easy on me
Hi + welcome to BE!

The smarter option appears to be that I apply directly myself. I received an email from the IEC team saying they will post details late November but I want to get the process started now.
I believe that applying directly is the only option for getting an IEC visa.

- The early posts mention problems getting the $2500 funds verified by the banks. Is this still a problem? Or do I just need to show proof of my funds on entry?
I think you just need proof of funds. I think there might be a requirement that the bank statement you produce be stamped by the bank and the Canadian authorities weren't accepting ones printed off the internet. Tbh I don't know but I'd say just either check the IEC website FAQs or try to get a stamped letter just in case. Also I think it has to have been printed within the last seven days...

- Does anyone have an electronic copy of the IEC application for 2012 so I can familiarise myself with it?
No, sorry I don't have it. But be aware there are over 5000 places given to UK citizens every year and it always has taken at least 5 months for the places to go. (The places only went quicker than this pre-2010 but back then the quota was literally ten times smaller at 500 places) What's important is that when the forms do come out, you go over and check everything's filled out properly. The rules are clear, no disrespect to anyone but I found the rules to be quite clear and as long as you don't rush there's very little chance of getting it wrong. The trickiest of the forms last year was probably the family information form which i I remember rightly I think required multiple signatures in odd places to confirm that each family member of your immediate family would/would not be accompanying you to Canada... As long as you thoroughly check the forms, there's nothing to worry about.
In 2012, after submitting the forms in hard copy, they'd ask you to submit an electronic copy of your IMM1295. I think some people tried to scan a copy of the form using their home scanner and produce a PDF file that they sent, instead of just sending the actual form they had originally downloaded and filled out on their computer. The reason they did this was out of panic that the form saved on their computer lacked the signature that had been present on the hard copy of the application they'd already submitted. I think a few people had their application rejected for this, even though I think others who did this were more fortunate and just received an e-mail asking for the original file to be sent without the signature. My advice it to follow the rules, check everything thoroughly, use the IEC website as the first port of call for queries and if something is not listed on there and the IEC people can't help/help quickly enough, then come on here for advice but only follow advice that has worked in the past rather than advice that is only based on personal opinion!

- Worst case scenario I don't get accepted on the IEC, would an open work permit be my next viable option to work in Canada? I would qualify as a highly skilled migrant but as far as i'm aware this process takes a long time and I want to shift over ASAP.
Firstly, if you qualify for the IEC, you're highly likely to be issued one if you apply. If you follow advice above concerning the filling out of the forms so that you don't have to waste time re-applying, if you've resided in the UK and Canada for the last three years, have no criminal record or significant medical conditions and are under 31 when you apply then you are literally almost guaranteed to get it.
If you've lived abroad, have a criminal record or medical conditions then you need to check your eligibility. However, in my opinion, even if you are eligible by your own assessment, even falling into one of these categories opens up the possibility that someone may make a mistake on your application or that you may have made a mistake in assessing your own eligibility. For example, there was someone who had lived outside the country but was sure they still met the residency requirement but when they applied their application was rejected. I can't remember if they re-applied or what the result was. Another example is myself. I have a criminal conviction from when I was a teenager and I also was given a caution for smoking in a railway station entrance!!!!!! Why not just give me a fine for that instead of putting it on my record for life!!! It's no wonder why I sometimes want to escape this country!!! lol I checked the admissibility laws under the Immigration and Nationality Act of Canada and was 95% sure I was admissible. But I was still on edge the whole time my application was being processed. Through all my research on internet forums, etc, I had decided that at a very minimum I would receive an e-mail from the High Commission asking about my criminal conviction before a decision would be made on my IEC visa. However, low and behold, at 1am on one random day and without any e-mail or anything concerning my conviction, the LOI just appeared in my e-mail inbox, stating that my 'application to study or work in Canada has been approved'! Of course, I was over-joyed at this as not only was it an official confirmation that I'm not "criminally ineligible" to Canada but also that I had the IEC visa confirmed too!

Secondly, if you don't qualify for the IEC, you largely have two options... Either apply for PR (permanent residence) or for a temporary work permit. You're right in pointing out that PR takes years to process. Therefore a work permit would be the next option. There's no such thing as an 'open' work permit. A temporary work permit requires an LMO (labour market opinion) to be obtained by your employer. Your employer has to apply for this and I think it just proves something like either that no Canadian could do the job/or that it is a skilled job that the Canadian economy requires. So basically, a temporary work permit is harder to get than an IEC visa because you need to have already found a job and the job will most likely need to be a skilled one in order for the LMO requirement to be satisfied and clearing the way for the issuance of the temporary work permit.

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated
You're very welcome!

Last edited by BritishExpatriate; Nov 19th 2012 at 4:47 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

spencer7711 is an unknown quantity at this point

BritishExpatriate your posts are so informative. Thank god for this site.

I was told by an immigration expert from one of these companies that help apply for visas on behalf of Brits that the IEC had been extended to 35 already for Brits. It turns out after sending an email to the IEC mailbox today, that the age limit remains at 30. They gave no hint whatsoever that it is to increase.

I'm praying however that i will. I've just turned 32 and i'm desperate to get out to Toronto and live with my gf!!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

AOGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: International Experience Canada

Hi all

First post here, I've read the last 10+ pages of this thread and I reckon I could get some use out of this place! Sorry about the length of this post by the way...

Firstly, kudos to BritishExpatriate. Your previous post answered pretty much all of my questions before I'd even typed them, and I signed up just to say thanks. How British.

Now the context. I'm 27 and moving out to BC ASAP, planning to use the IEC, and I get confused by acronyms. I'm a skilled worker (qualifications already approved by relevant authorities and almost registered in my profession) and meet the criteria, but have been advised that the IEC route may well be quicker and more useful.

As such, I went to the 'Working In' Expo in Manchester last weekend (huzzah!) and was taken aback by a presentation by a particular company, The Brazolot Group. The founder/speaker/boss mixed fact with sales pitch waffle for 30mins and then wanted £20 for a consultation (on-the-day cash-only special deal etc), after which we would know if we were eligible. We could book the consultation another day, but this would cost us £39.99 (double the price).

I turned down the opportunity of giving them my details there and then, but I asked one of their drone-like girls on the stall how much the entire process would cost (even a ballpark figure) and was told - repeatedly - that I would need to attend a consultation. Oh, and I would need to drive to Birmingham (104 miles). And I would need to pay cash, right there and then, to get the £20 rate.

What was odd was that later that evening, I decided to fill in my details anyway, out of curiosity more than anything else. Someone came back to me today with a very amateur response:

<snip>

WHAT AN OFFER! £20 there and then, or £39.99 later! No, wait, that's £29 she's stated. So, where was the £39.99 cost coming from? There's no way that BMF would be rally up business using made up scare-prices thrown at potential punters at Expos to panic them into buying a "consultation" for a service that they can do themselves... Would they?

Let me note at this point that I have no intention of using this company. I cannot speak for those who may have used them without a hitch, but from reading the words of others on here, I'll do it myself and save the cash. Plus, BMF strike me a bunch of weasels. There was another company there too, whose name I forget, who may be just the same but came across as infinitely more assured. I have no intention of giving them any of my money, either.

I've emailed Brazolot back and asked how many times it is possible to confirm my eligibility before assessing it, what happens to my information after I provide them with it (marketing etc), and for an approximation of their service charges. I'm awaiting a reply with interest.

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you all and wondered if other people had had similar experiences with BMF or other agencies? Please feel free to point me in the direction of another thread if the topic is misplaced. For the record, I'm going to do my own paperwork.

Oh, and where can I get my police check done in advance? I'm thinking it would be good to have things done in preparation. Also, is there a health check required even if I put down that I am healthy? Do I need to visit my GP or what?

Any assistance is appreciated. I'll be back here methinks.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 20th 2012 at 9:19 am. Reason: Sorry, but it's not appropriate to put the email in the post, that's private correspondence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.