Interesting post

Old Aug 5th 2005, 3:04 am
Just Joined

p177772005 is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting post

Found an interesting post at:
http://www.settlement.org/discuss/t...6&TOPIC_ID=3486
Pasting the most interesting part.

Hi I am not an immigrant. I was born in Canada. My parents immigrated from Italy in the 50s. Many of my friends are new immigrants from India, Pakistan and Japan. The most unfortunate thing I've found is people who have huge expectations and are extremely disappointed when they actually live here

The difference between immigration in those days and now is:
1950s
- immigrants are poor people from poor countries or refugees.
- Immigrants - Their education is minimal but they are willing to work hard, sacrifice and save.
- Refugees - may have been rich and educated but are happy to be alive. There is no going back as certain death or imprisonment awaits
- there are no jobs for them in their homeland
- they are willing to take the dirtist, hardest most dangerous jobs
- probably don't speak english but it doesn't matter as they will work in construction or factories
- their wages are very good compared to home. Their pay may be 5 times higher than in their homeland. They can save, support relatives back home, raise a family

Today
- immigrants are rich and well educated people from poor countries they represent the top 5% of educated/wealthy people in their country. They are respected and may have servants.
- Some believe they can fit into the top part of Canadian society. Canada may be attractive for its safety or kids education.
- Some can go into their profession (IT types)
- Others (doctors, lawyers, teachers etc) will end up delivering pizza, driving taxi cabs and flipping burgers at least in the short term. They will live in high rise or basement apartments in bad areas their kids who may have gone to private schools back home now hand around with the wrong crowd. Instead of the top 5% they are now in the bottom 25% of Canadian society. They definitely will not have servants and will need to do everything themselves.

Why is this?
- The government allows professional associations and unions to regulate themselves. It is in the associates and its members interest to keep competing workers out of their fields. This includes not just immigrants but professionals from other provinces. (Did you know that unionised Ontario construction workers are not allowed to work in Quebec?)
- Everyone today is more educated so having a univerity degree is no longer a rare thing but is now the minimum for a job
- Employers do not trust immigrant resumes and have no way of checking them. If someone claims degrees of great job expoerience in their homeland how can this be checked? Canadian experience can be checked with a phone call.
- Canadian experience. Immigrants hate this phrase but the truth is all of us (including Canadian born) have worked through factory, construction, retail, hamburger jobs. In the case of Canadians we do it during summers in high school and university and in part time jobs. By the time we graduate we have worked in many places that can serve as references.

The truth of immigration is:
If you start from nothing and make something you are satisfied.
If you start from something and become nothing you are bitter.

Before you leave your country ask yourself these questions:
- Am really bad off here?
- Have I done my research about how easy/hard life is in Canada? Can I trust my sources (Canadian government, friends who immigrated). Sometimes your friends in Canada are failures but portray themselves as successes to save their pride. Don't let them fool you.
- Am I willing to start from the bottom?
- What is so great about Canada?
- Is there another place where I can make a new life or get enough money to come back a hero?

Regarding starting a business:
A friend from India was rich in India. His dad owne a factory as did all his and his wife's relatives. Running the bussiness was just a question of playing golf and asking for contract from acquantances.He came to Canada and tried repeatedly to start businessed. Repeatedly he failed. Those businesses already exist. He has no contacts here and no one has an obligation to give him anything.

Sorry for the depressing reality check but I hope it helps someone out there.

Regards,
Andrew
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:29 am
Banned

Numpty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interesting post

Originally Posted by p177772005
Found an interesting post at:
http://www.settlement.org/discuss/t...6&TOPIC_ID=3486
Pasting the most interesting part.

Hi I am not an immigrant. I was born in Canada. My parents immigrated from Italy in the 50s. Many of my friends are new immigrants from India, Pakistan and Japan. The most unfortunate thing I've found is people who have huge expectations and are extremely disappointed when they actually live here

The difference between immigration in those days and now is:
1950s
- immigrants are poor people from poor countries or refugees.
- Immigrants - Their education is minimal but they are willing to work hard, sacrifice and save.
- Refugees - may have been rich and educated but are happy to be alive. There is no going back as certain death or imprisonment awaits
- there are no jobs for them in their homeland
- they are willing to take the dirtist, hardest most dangerous jobs
- probably don't speak english but it doesn't matter as they will work in construction or factories
- their wages are very good compared to home. Their pay may be 5 times higher than in their homeland. They can save, support relatives back home, raise a family

Today
- immigrants are rich and well educated people from poor countries they represent the top 5% of educated/wealthy people in their country. They are respected and may have servants.
- Some believe they can fit into the top part of Canadian society. Canada may be attractive for its safety or kids education.
- Some can go into their profession (IT types)
- Others (doctors, lawyers, teachers etc) will end up delivering pizza, driving taxi cabs and flipping burgers at least in the short term. They will live in high rise or basement apartments in bad areas their kids who may have gone to private schools back home now hand around with the wrong crowd. Instead of the top 5% they are now in the bottom 25% of Canadian society. They definitely will not have servants and will need to do everything themselves.

Why is this?
- The government allows professional associations and unions to regulate themselves. It is in the associates and its members interest to keep competing workers out of their fields. This includes not just immigrants but professionals from other provinces. (Did you know that unionised Ontario construction workers are not allowed to work in Quebec?)
- Everyone today is more educated so having a univerity degree is no longer a rare thing but is now the minimum for a job
- Employers do not trust immigrant resumes and have no way of checking them. If someone claims degrees of great job expoerience in their homeland how can this be checked? Canadian experience can be checked with a phone call.
- Canadian experience. Immigrants hate this phrase but the truth is all of us (including Canadian born) have worked through factory, construction, retail, hamburger jobs. In the case of Canadians we do it during summers in high school and university and in part time jobs. By the time we graduate we have worked in many places that can serve as references.

The truth of immigration is:
If you start from nothing and make something you are satisfied.
If you start from something and become nothing you are bitter.

Before you leave your country ask yourself these questions:
- Am really bad off here?
- Have I done my research about how easy/hard life is in Canada? Can I trust my sources (Canadian government, friends who immigrated). Sometimes your friends in Canada are failures but portray themselves as successes to save their pride. Don't let them fool you.
- Am I willing to start from the bottom?
- What is so great about Canada?
- Is there another place where I can make a new life or get enough money to come back a hero?

Regarding starting a business:
A friend from India was rich in India. His dad owne a factory as did all his and his wife's relatives. Running the bussiness was just a question of playing golf and asking for contract from acquantances.He came to Canada and tried repeatedly to start businessed. Repeatedly he failed. Those businesses already exist. He has no contacts here and no one has an obligation to give him anything.

Sorry for the depressing reality check but I hope it helps someone out there.

Regards,
Andrew
Valid info, Andrew, but the 'Head in the clouds' brigade on this forum just won't take any notice. Most still believe that it only happens to other people.

Oh well, at least you tried.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:31 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Interesting post

Originally Posted by Numpty
Valid info, Andrew, but the 'Head in the clouds' brigade on this forum just won't take any notice. Most still believe that it only happens to other people.

Oh well, at least you tried.
See my post on the other forum, ref the complete bollocks paragraph on the OP text. How relevant is that to a westernised British Skilled Worker with fluent English, a work ethos and some settlement capital ?

Rich.