Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Information regarding PR for Canada

Information regarding PR for Canada

Old Feb 12th 2024, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

calsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Information regarding PR as a video editor

Hi there,
I am wondering if someone can give me some information on what is needed to gain permanent residency for Canada exactly?
I am a video editor looking for my first job in the UK to gain experience. How many years of experience do I need to apply? I have been a freelance video editor but realised that probably does not count as experience when applying.
Is being a video editor a good enough role to gain permanent residency?
Many thanks

Last edited by calsholty; Feb 12th 2024 at 12:32 pm. Reason: add more info
Old Feb 12th 2024, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information regarding PR as a video editor

Originally Posted by calsholty
Hi there,
I am wondering if someone can give me some information on what is needed to gain permanent residency for Canada exactly?
I am a video editor looking for my first job in the UK to gain experience. How many years of experience do I need to apply? I have been a freelance video editor but realised that probably does not count as experience when applying.
Is being a video editor a good enough role to gain permanent residency?
Many thanks
Assuming you're looking at PR via EE (which is the most common route fore most), there are too many factors for us to be able to help without more info, it's not just your job that matters but also your education, age, etc.

What you need to do is check your score on the CRS, count the years you've worked as freelance as there's no requirement to be employed, and see what you get. You'd need above approx 500 to be in with a chance of being selected and invited to apply for PR.

If not, then you'll need to look at other visa routes which will probably mean a sponsored job offer, but check your EE eligibility first and then we can look at other options for you if that's not possible.

HTH.
Old Feb 12th 2024, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

calsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond reputecalsholty has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your response!
It's certainly not simple is it. I have just taken the CRS questionnaire, it seems the only way I could get more than 500 is with a nomination certificate from a province or territory. I also answered the questions as if it was a year or so from now (with a hopeful job offer) and I was getting 444 points.

I will keep researching!

Callum
Old Feb 12th 2024, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your response!
It's certainly not simple is it. I have just taken the CRS questionnaire, it seems the only way I could get more than 500 is with a nomination certificate from a province or territory. I also answered the questions as if it was a year or so from now (with a hopeful job offer) and I was getting 444 points.

I will keep researching!

Callum
OK. 444 isn't too bad and points may possibly drop down to that at some point in the future, but the job offer from a sponsoring employer could be the tricky point as not sure your occupation would be massively in demand tbh. So let's go back to basics - how old are you, any family in Canada, what province(s) would you ideally like to move to, would you want to carry on working as a freelance video editor in Canada, and are you married or have a common-law partner (if so, what do they do)?
Old Feb 12th 2024, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ah okay I see. I'm 24, no family over there, just friends in British Columbia which is where I would choose to live. It's where I stayed during my IEC visit which was interrupted due to covid so don't have any valid work experience from that. I am happy to be employed as a video editor, I am currently applying for jobs here in the UK as I have been freelance for 6 months. In the long term (if living in Canada) I would prefer freelance however I thought you could only be employed when you're talking visas. I am single looking to move alone.

Callum
Old Feb 12th 2024, 2:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ah okay I see. I'm 24, no family over there, just friends in British Columbia which is where I would choose to live. It's where I stayed during my IEC visit which was interrupted due to covid so don't have any valid work experience from that. I am happy to be employed as a video editor, I am currently applying for jobs here in the UK as I have been freelance for 6 months. In the long term (if living in Canada) I would prefer freelance however I thought you could only be employed when you're talking visas. I am single looking to move alone.

Callum
Aha! So you can now get a second IEC - the rules changed last July. So that may be your best option, it would give you another year there.

Longer term, have you only been a freelance video editor for 6 months total? What did you do before that?

Old Feb 12th 2024, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Oh wow, really?! I did not know that. If I was to give that a go what would you recommend I do whilst there to increase my eligibility of permanent residency for the future?

I have yes, I studied it in college back in 2016-2018 but did not take it as a career until 6 months ago. from November 2018 - January 2020 I was in Canada via IEC ... and from September 2020 to January 2024 I was the owner of a coffee shop which I sold due to my freelance video editing was more enjoyable for me hence change of career.

Callum
Old Feb 12th 2024, 3:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh wow, really?! I did not know that. If I was to give that a go what would you recommend I do whilst there to increase my eligibility of permanent residency for the future?
The main problem with the second IEC is that it only gives you a year which essentially means that for you it to help you with a PR app, you need to start working the day you arrive to get a full year's skilled work experience for your points, or you need to really impress an employer very quickly so that they'll sponsor you for a 'normal' work permit to stay longer term. However, you could also get a whole new 3 year IEC if you go through a Recognised Organisation. It will cost more, but would get you that 3 years which would make all the difference - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nizations.html

I have yes, I studied it in college back in 2016-2018 but did not take it as a career until 6 months ago. from November 2018 - January 2020 I was in Canada via IEC ... and from September 2020 to January 2024 I was the owner of a coffee shop which I sold due to my freelance video editing was more enjoyable for me hence change of career.
What did you do in Canada? Any employers from your time there that might help you get over?

If you want to look at getting PR before you go rather than going over on a WHV, then your self employment may help. Have a look at the Start Up Visa (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tart-visa.html) or the entrepreneur streams under the BC PNP. The main one has quite a big net worth requirement (you never know, but at 24 I'm assuming you don't have $600k in the bank), but you can also look at the regional ones if you don't mind being in a more rural part of BC - https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ot-Communities You'll need to work through them all to see if you may qualify for any of them.

There's also the Self Employed Federal route but it doesn't sound as though you'd qualify for that if you've only worked as a video editor for 6 months, and it's super long processing times anyway.
Old Feb 13th 2024, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I wasn't expecting to find out I can get an extra year so that's put a smile on my face if anything! But, I will look into the Recognised Organisations via the link you sent which is super kind of you so thank you for that. See, I don't mind if it costs more because it's my ultimate goal to be a Canadian Citizen, has been since a child. So I am very grateful for your help. Main goal at the moment is to have a plan so that if I get IEC is to use it wisely to be beneficial for PR.

Callum
Old Feb 13th 2024, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

I worked in a catering company as a prep chef for 8 months, unfortunately I already asked if they would help and they said no.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 1:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well, I wasn't expecting to find out I can get an extra year so that's put a smile on my face if anything! But, I will look into the Recognised Organisations via the link you sent which is super kind of you so thank you for that. See, I don't mind if it costs more because it's my ultimate goal to be a Canadian Citizen, has been since a child. So I am very grateful for your help. Main goal at the moment is to have a plan so that if I get IEC is to use it wisely to be beneficial for PR.

Callum
That sounds like a plan. Whether you get another year, or another 3 years, make sure it counts if you want to stay this time.

Best of luck to you.