Information on ECA's

Old Feb 4th 2021, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

KFras17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on ECA's

Hi All,
Hoping to tap into the amazing knowledge in this forum. I am currently living in Canada under an LMIA work permit.
I am currently looking at making my stay a longer/permanent one and trying to understand what my UK education will likely translate to for points

The difference between me having just high school education vs the next highest option (1 year at a uni/college/tech/trade or other institution is just over 100 points. So could make the difference of being really low vs exceeding the lowest recent invited score

I have GCSEs, 3 AS levels and 1 Alevel
Whilst working I have obtained two certificates from the Chartered Insurance Institute (equating to approx 120 hrs of study), and two certificates from the Chartered Institute of IT (BCS) which is around 50 hrs of study

I also have a scrum.org qualification, as well as a few occupational qualifications (wish i don't believe would be taken into account anyway)

So what I'm looking for some advice on is
  • Any idea on what to expect from a ECA
  • Is there a specific ECA company out of the available 5 which would be better for me to go with?
Any help would be amazing

Thanks

Old Feb 4th 2021, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on ECA's

There's no specific ECA agency to recommend, I usually just suggest people go with whoever is quickest. That's particularly important if your TWP will expire anytime soon, or if you will lose more points due to age in the next few months. There can be a huge difference in timescales between them, WES is generally the quickest, but check each website to see the current processing times.

It's only 60 extra points for a one year diploma versus secondary education (56 if you have a partner), I'm afraid that I don't see how you'd get points for anything other than secondary education from what you've said though. A Levels are just counted as secondary, and your other qualifications weren't at least a year full-time, and seem to be professional qualifications rather than academic ones, so even if they were a year full-time, they still wouldn't count. Sorry.

Can you give us a breakdown of your points, will you score more once you've done more work in Canada or are you already at the maximum? What's your NOC and would your employer consider helping you with a PNP application to keep you? When does your current TWP expire?
Old Feb 4th 2021, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your response.

Really helpful. In terms of the educational piece that is what i thought (unfortunately), the overall points change from 401, to 506 if I select the 1 year.... So defo looks more than 60 points

Do you know what age brackets do the points start to reduce, Im 35 now but lets most likely be 36/37 if i was to qualify for PR

I have copied my breakdown from the CRS tool

Your results
All Express Entry candidates get a score out of 1,200, based on the four parts of the Comprehensive Ranking System formula.

We invite the highest-ranking candidates from the pool to apply as a permanent resident through regular “rounds of invitations.” See what minimum scores have been in the past.

Core/Human capital factors
Age = 70
Level of education = 28
Official Languages = 128
First Official Language = 128
Second Official Language = 0
Canadian work experience = 46
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 272

Spouse factors
Level of education = 2
First Official Languages = 20
Canadian work experience = 7
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 29

Skill transferability factors
Education (to a maximum of 50 points)
A) Official Language proficiency and education = 0
B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 0

Foreign work experience (to a maximum of 50 points)
A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 50
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 50

Additional points (to a maximum of 600 points)
Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 50

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 50

Comprehensive Ranking System formula grand total = 401
Old Feb 4th 2021, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Apologies I think my NOC code is 1122 (I think), and If i get my permit extended i guess i will continue to earn points?
Old Feb 4th 2021, 5:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KFras17
In terms of the educational piece that is what i thought (unfortunately), the overall points change from 401, to 506 if I select the 1 year.... So defo looks more than 60 points
That's really odd. Are you definitely using the official calculator, not one on a third party website? You can see the points breakdown here and see the difference between secondary education and a one year diploma - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...stem/grid.html

Do you know what age brackets do the points start to reduce, Im 35 now but lets most likely be 36/37 if i was to qualify for PR
Every year over 30. So as soon as you turn 36 you'll lose 5 points unfortunately, unless you've already had an ITA by that point (your age is locked in when you do).

Unfortunately, at 401 you wouldn't score enough and even with another year's work experience you're a long way off the required points threshold. Have you taken your IELTS yet and know you'll score 128, or is that a guess at the mo? You could try getting your ECA and just seeing what it says, in case you do get lucky but even if it were academic qualifications it still doesn't add up to anywhere near a year of study. But it depends on how much time you have to play with and when your TWP expires, you could give it a try. If not, you'll need to look at other PNP routes.

What does your partner score on the CRS? And can you give the info above about your NOC code etc? And your partners NOC code too?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 4th 2021 at 5:32 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 5:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Apologies I think my NOC code is 1122 (I think), and If i get my permit extended i guess i will continue to earn points?
Ah, thank you. Yes, you will continue to earn points, but still not enough unfortunately.

You're in Ontario, is that right? Just checking that your profile is up to date.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Yes I am in Ontario. Work insurance

Ok so looks like actually its going to be pretty tough for us to earn enough points as I am going to lose each year now, and prob not gain that much.

In terms of the assessments, I have purely guessed I would get that pass figure for purposes of trying to understand the situation.

Could I just check what is meant by PNP? Sorry not clued up with all the lingo (but learning lol)
Old Feb 4th 2021, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Could I just check what is meant by PNP? Sorry not clued up with all the lingo (but learning lol)
Don't worry, it's a lot to get your head around I know. PNP is Provincial Nominee Program. Each province has one, and essentially it's a way to get PR without going through a Federal program, when the provinces set their own criteria and choose who they want to get PR.

Here's the website for Ontario, you can see if you think any of their programs would work for you? https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-...e-program-oinp

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 4th 2021 at 5:49 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Also, when does your TWP expire? If you need to get another LMIA and TWP, don't leave it too late………….
Old Feb 4th 2021, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

It expires at the end of July this year. I don't seem to have much to do with the permit, as work take care of that.

I was hoping to just extend my LMIA then go for PR, but it does look very unlikely that it realistic, so may have choose to just return to the UK when my current permit runs out

Im not realistically going to be able to acquire any extra education in a short time, and I will be losing points every year now, so feels a little out of reach

Really appreciate you helping out with Information

Old Feb 5th 2021, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It expires at the end of July this year. I don't seem to have much to do with the permit, as work take care of that.
OK, so you really need to make sure your employer is on top of this - LMIA's are taking around 3-4 months at the mo, and of course the job has to be advertised first. So you need to make sure that they are on this asap!

Im not realistically going to be able to acquire any extra education in a short time, and I will be losing points every year now, so feels a little out of reach
That's only EE though, there are other routes to PR. Have you looked at the OINP website I gave you, if so any of those routes look feasible?

And does your partner work, if so, what does s/he do, and what is s/he scoring on the CRS?

Old Feb 5th 2021, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Does that lead time include the extension of an existing LMIA? or does that process not exist, and just a new LMIA is needed?

Yes looked under the link and that may look possible. ITs with the lawyers for my company at the moment

I did also see the EE Human Capital priorities and my NOC code (1122) seems to be on the list, is that a viable route?

I do really appreciate your help, Its an emotional rollercoaster, but hopefully the lawyers may be able to give some direction.

Bit of a separate note, one of my daughter is on a visitor visa, what is the process of changing that to a study permit as she turns 18 this year, and working is quite important for her

Old Feb 5th 2021, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Does that lead time include the extension of an existing LMIA? or does that process not exist, and just a new LMIA is needed?
Doesn't exist, you just need a new one.

I did also see the EE Human Capital priorities and my NOC code (1122) seems to be on the list, is that a viable route?
Sort of. You're right that that NOC code has been targeted for that stream in the past, but because it's a PNP stream that is linked to EE, you still need to meet a minimum points requirement on the CRS. The last draw under the Human Capital stream did include NOC 1122 applicants, but the minimum CRS score for that draw was 466, so you're still not likely to be selected.

But there are other non-EE PNP streams, so have a look at those and see what you may qualify for.

Bit of a separate note, one of my daughter is on a visitor visa, what is the process of changing that to a study permit as she turns 18 this year, and working is quite important for her
Yes, once she's been accepted at a uni/college, then she can apply for a study permit and work part-time as per the permit rules. Make sure that wherever she'll be studying is on the Designated Learning Institution List, as otherwise she won't be able to get a study permit - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ions-list.html

Good luck.