Questions - IEC > LMIA > PR

Old Feb 5th 2021, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Canniecanuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions - IEC > LMIA > PR

I would like to ask a question about the LMIA process. My nephew and his wife are here, they came over on an IEC work permit and are currently in the pool for CEC but have low-ish points. Her company are going through the LMIA process as they want her to continue working and are happy to do what is needed.

I guess my question is two fold
1. If the LMIA is approved, will this just be for a work permit and how long do these usually last?
2. At the end of the work permit term can this be extended and for how long or how often?

They are obviously hoping that with more years of experience working in Canada that they will eventually get to stay permanently.

If it helps her job is a NOC code B category.

thanks
Old Feb 5th 2021, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

1. Depends on the LMIA the company applied for. There is a LMIA application that can be used to support a PR app, or the standard one which is just for a work permit. TWP can be issued for between 1 and 3 years, no way of knowing in advance what she’ll be given.

2. No way of extending, a new LMIA & TWP would need to be applied for.

I’d suggest your niece signs up for her own account and gives asks about other routes to PR - CEC is only one of over 50 routes to PR so there may be other options.

HTH.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Canniecanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

As always thank you for the speedy reply.

Can the same LMIA be used for both the PR route as well as a TWP? The company she is working for knows that their end goal is to try and stay here and they are using an Immigration lawyer to help with the process so I am sure they will know which is the best route. I am just curious to know what her options are.

thanks
Old Feb 5th 2021, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canniecanuck
As always thank you for the speedy reply.

Can the same LMIA be used for both the PR route as well as a TWP? The company she is working for knows that their end goal is to try and stay here and they are using an Immigration lawyer to help with the process so I am sure they will know which is the best route. I am just curious to know what her options are.

thanks
Sorry but I’m not sure what you’re asking. There are two types of LMIA, one which is for supporting a PR app - https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...permanent.html

I would really suggest she signs up to ask her own questions though, much better than doing it via a third party, and then we can find out the info we need to help her too.

Thx.