Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Info Request re: Family Class Sponsorship/Income Required

Info Request re: Family Class Sponsorship/Income Required

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

SherryUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info Request re: Family Class Sponsorship/Income Required

This is our first post, so please bear with us! I am a Canadian citizen (as our three children) and my husband is UK citizen - we're just about to send our family class application. We have a few concerns, hoping someone out there can give us some advice.

Referring to the Sponsor Document Checklist (IMM5491) - Question 19, how do we demonstrate that we, as a family, have the ability to support ourselves financially? The checklist seems to suggest that I, as the Sponsor, need enough regular income to support my husband, who I am sponsoring. In our case, my husband is our prime earner as I have been at home with the children since 2000 and don't plan to go back to work full time until they are all school age.

Also, Question 20 - how do we prove that we intend to live in Canada as a family once my husband is granted Permanent Residence. This is certainly what we plan, but how do we prove it?

One more question, should my husband expect to be called for an interview in London at any time?

Any advice would be most appreciated!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

beckington will become famous soon enoughbeckington will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Info Request re: Family Class Sponsorship/Income Required

Hey

We are in a similar position - I'm Canadian, hubbie is British and baby is British/Canadian. Hubbies is prime earner but I'm working part-time, self-employed, but not much this past year since baby has been born - certainly not enough to support the family! What we are planning to do is show evidence of our savings and our mortgage balance plus estate agent contract (which shows what we are marketing propety at) to show we should make a nice amount on sale of house so we will have money to fall back on while hubbie looks for a job. (also in my case I'll be working part-time in Canada, continuing self-employment, but won't be much money) Can't think what else to do, so would be interested in what others have to say.

As for Question 20, I'm stumped as well. Anyone?

Charmaine
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:00 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

When sponsoring a spouse you don't need to meet minimum income requirement.

As for proving intentions to move back to Canada once your husband gets visa - you need to submit a sworn statement of intentions (statutory declaration) and show evidence of serious preparation for such move, like job and house search, schooling arrangements, etc.. If you are serious about moving back within next 6 to 12 months then you should already be doing all of this and you shouldn't have problem documenting it.

Originally Posted by SherryUK
This is our first post, so please bear with us! I am a Canadian citizen (as our three children) and my husband is UK citizen - we're just about to send our family class application. We have a few concerns, hoping someone out there can give us some advice.

Referring to the Sponsor Document Checklist (IMM5491) - Question 19, how do we demonstrate that we, as a family, have the ability to support ourselves financially? The checklist seems to suggest that I, as the Sponsor, need enough regular income to support my husband, who I am sponsoring. In our case, my husband is our prime earner as I have been at home with the children since 2000 and don't plan to go back to work full time until they are all school age.

Also, Question 20 - how do we prove that we intend to live in Canada as a family once my husband is granted Permanent Residence. This is certainly what we plan, but how do we prove it?

One more question, should my husband expect to be called for an interview in London at any time?

Any advice would be most appreciated!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

beckington will become famous soon enoughbeckington will become famous soon enough

Hi Andrew

I might be thick, but I'm not sure what documentation I can provide that shows our intentions. I'm freelancing and some of my clients will move with me, so I'm not job hunting. Hubbie isn't really job hunting either because we figure it's better to wait until we are actually in Canada and that employers will be more interested in him then. Same for buying a house - we aren't planning on buying until hubbie gets a job and we know where that will be. We will probably stay with my parents at first and then rent, but we weren't going to look for a place to rent until we arrived. We don't have school-aged children , so that doesn't apply.

And to show my thickness even more, haven't heard about the sworn statement of intentions, unless you mean the part of the form where I indicate my intentions in the Residency Declaration (but then that's not a stat declaration, is it? thought they had to be signed in front of solicitor, notary etc?).
[QUOTE=Andrew Miller]When sponsoring a spouse you don't need to meet minimum income requirement.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Charmaine
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:06 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

There are also other than you just listed things you are probably doing to prepare yourselves for the move - document them.

You need to prepare a separate declaration of your intentions and sign it under oath before commissioner of oath or other person authorized to administer the oath.

[QUOTE=beckington]Hi Andrew

I might be thick, but I'm not sure what documentation I can provide that shows our intentions. I'm freelancing and some of my clients will move with me, so I'm not job hunting. Hubbie isn't really job hunting either because we figure it's better to wait until we are actually in Canada and that employers will be more interested in him then. Same for buying a house - we aren't planning on buying until hubbie gets a job and we know where that will be. We will probably stay with my parents at first and then rent, but we weren't going to look for a place to rent until we arrived. We don't have school-aged children , so that doesn't apply.

And to show my thickness even more, haven't heard about the sworn statement of intentions, unless you mean the part of the form where I indicate my intentions in the Residency Declaration (but then that's not a stat declaration, is it? thought they had to be signed in front of solicitor, notary etc?).
Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
When sponsoring a spouse you don't need to meet minimum income requirement.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Charmaine
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew

Thanks very much for your help!

Charmaine

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
There are also other than you just listed things you are probably doing to prepare yourselves for the move - document them.

You need to prepare a separate declaration of your intentions and sign it under oath before commissioner of oath or other person authorized to administer the oath.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hello....i might be thick too. ..just a thought..>..but i think maybe documenting..things like....phone calls and emails...to Canada to enquire about things...like..bank accounts.....drivers licences.....ummmm....arranging your accomodation...even if it is to live with family....new doctors...i guess just about anything...can't hurt.
May i suggest..having a diary...and then jotting in it...rang..so and so today..or sent email to so and so today...etc....Good Luck

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Feb 4th 2005 at 9:56 pm. Reason: stilllllllll can't type properly, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:14 am
Just Joined

SherryUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
hello....i might be thick too. ..just a thought..>..but i think maybe documenting..things like....phone calls and emails...to Canada to enquire about things...like..bank accounts.....drivers licences.....ummmm....arranging your accomodation...even if it is to live with family....new doctors...i guess just about anything...can't hurt.
May i suggest..having a diary...and then jotting in it...rang..so and so today..or sent email to so and so today...etc....Good Luck
Thanks so much for all the responses, this has helped a lot!