Importing Car into Canada

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:43 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Default Importing Car into Canada

The US exportation office is only open Monday to Friday. I'm landing on a Sunday. Does anyone know if it is ok to finish the exporting part at the US side, and then come back a few days later and land in Canada?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:26 am
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing Car into Canada

Do you have to officially export your car? I'm just curious about this, as my car has technically been in Canada as a "temporary import" (because of my student visa), and now I will have to "import it."
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:08 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Inspace
Do you have to officially export your car? I'm just curious about this, as my car has technically been in Canada as a "temporary import" (because of my student visa), and now I will have to "import it."
Yes, the title has to be presented to US Customs (or whatever they are calling themselves) 72 hours before the car is exported from the US. Then it has to be imported into Canada. See www.riv.ca for the details.

PMM
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:39 am
Account Closed

Do you want to know something crazy? I checked these websites and found out that the car I brought to Canada on a "temporary import" 7 years ago, cannot be permanently imported, as 1992 Tercels are inadmissible! Will they make me surrender my car even though it has been here for 7 years? Its got BC plates and tons of inspection stickers--I guess I will have to give them a call tomorrow.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:53 pm
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Yes, the title has to be presented to US Customs (or whatever they are calling themselves) 72 hours before the car is exported from the US. Then it has to be imported into Canada. See www.riv.ca for the details.

PMM
Inspace, regardless of if I have to or not, I want to move to Canada and make it my home! The only thing I want to have in the US is my job, which I will be commuting to every week.

PMM, do you know if it is ok to finish the exportation process at the US side on a Friday, drive back to my home in the US and then come back to land on Sunday?

ps, I understand the part about contacting them 72 hours a head of time. I already started that process and I'm more than a month away from my landing date The problem is, they don't answer the phone at the US Export office
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

viperrt10 is an unknown quantity at this point

MJ, ma bro this is besides the point but have you scheduled an appt to get your H1 stamped yet? A buddy of mine has been stuck for 16 weeks due to Administrative Checking. Just sucks!

Originally Posted by MJ23
Inspace, regardless of if I have to or not, I want to move to Canada and make it my home! The only thing I want to have in the US is my job, which I will be commuting to every week.

PMM, do you know if it is ok to finish the exportation process at the US side on a Friday, drive back to my home in the US and then come back to land on Sunday?

ps, I understand the part about contacting them 72 hours a head of time. I already started that process and I'm more than a month away from my landing date The problem is, they don't answer the phone at the US Export office
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:00 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am really not sure, you might want to check with Border Security at the port where you intend to leave the US.

PMM
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:38 pm
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by viperrt10
MJ, ma bro this is besides the point but have you scheduled an appt to get your H1 stamped yet? A buddy of mine has been stuck for 16 weeks due to Administrative Checking. Just sucks!
You always have bad news Great, now you gave me something to worry about!

Yeah, my appointment is on May 2nd. Is your friend's qualifications and degrees all from a US university?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Hey MJ, wow, you are going to commute to the
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Hey MJ, wow, you are going to commute to the Seattle area for a job! Gosh I hope you have an economy car with the price of gasoline these days! I didn't know that--I am not sure what you thought I mean in my last post as I did not know about your situation, I was just referring to your car.

I found out today that my 1992 Tercel is inadmissible for permanent importation and that I legally have 30 days from the date I land to take it back to the USA! It is inadmissible because of the seat-belts. So, as my car is only worth a few hundred dollars anyways, I am going to give it to my best friend in Seattle for $1 (he will pay the registration and licensing fees, lol).
Old Mar 24th 2005, 4:20 am
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by Inspace
Hey MJ, wow, you are going to commute to the Seattle area for a job! Gosh I hope you have an economy car with the price of gasoline these days! I didn't know that--I am not sure what you thought I mean in my last post as I did not know about your situation, I was just referring to your car.

I found out today that my 1992 Tercel is inadmissible for permanent importation and that I legally have 30 days from the date I land to take it back to the USA! It is inadmissible because of the seat-belts. So, as my car is only worth a few hundred dollars anyways, I am going to give it to my best friend in Seattle for $1 (he will pay the registration and licensing fees, lol).
Yeah I was planning on may be working 4 days, 10 hours a day and have my permanent resident in Canada. I'm not sure how well this will work any more!

Hey, I was the proud owner of a 1989 Toyota Tercel Hatchback! That car (more like a go cart) was running amazingly great eventhough it doesn't look fancy. My friends used to make fun of me because I'm a tall guy and when I put my seat back, it looks like I'm setting in the back seats!

I have a 1992 Celica now. I checked and found out that it is admissible to Canada.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

viperrt10 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI MJ,

Yeah his qualifications are from the US (bachelors and masters). Apparently the admin processing is supposed to take 4 weeks but the FBI checks are backlogged about 12 weeks which delays everything. Anyways please do keep in touch and let me know what happens.

You can go to immigrationportal.com and search on H1 Stamping Canada and read recent experiences.

You always have bad news Great, now you gave me something to worry about!

Yeah, my appointment is on May 2nd. Is your friend's qualifications and degrees all from a US university?