Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Immigration via EE or self Employed?

Immigration via EE or self Employed?

Old Apr 28th 2018, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

daisymae80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration via EE or self Employed?

Hi
I've been a long time lurker and now I'm ready to step out of the shadows!

My family and I are hoping to emigrate to British Columbia (Vancouver Island to be precise) sometime in the near future, and I've just completed the application via the EE route.
However we only have 360 points so I know highly unlikely we will get anything going down that route...

We actually want to bring our successful web design business over (so we would be self employed) and I'm now looking at filling in all the forms via the business class self employed route.

So my first question (I know that over the coming months I'll have lots more questions!) is, can I apply that way as well as having filled in the EE online applications? Or can you only do one at a time?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 28th 2018, 7:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration via EE or self Employed?

You can apply via both.

When you say ‘business class’ do you mean the Start Up Visa? Or the Self Employed program?
Old Apr 28th 2018, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I mean the self employed visa. I know its not a quick process (after reading about it here) but its the only other way i think we can apply.
My husband has considered 'getting a job' but he's so used to being his own boss that it just wouldn't work...and tbh I'm the same too!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Sorry...SELF EMPLOYED PROGRAM!! lol I'm a bit tired...
Old Apr 29th 2018, 8:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymae80
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I mean the self employed visa. I know its not a quick process (after reading about it here) but its the only other way i think we can apply.
My husband has considered 'getting a job' but he's so used to being his own boss that it just wouldn't work...and tbh I'm the same too!
Are you sure he qualifies? Just that web designer is NOC 2175, so isn’t an eligible occupation for the self employed route. What NOC would he be applying under and would he definitely be able to prove it’s a good fit instead of 2175 if he runs a web design business?
Old Apr 29th 2018, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Yeah, this was going to be my second question!
As I thought at this point it might be better for me to apply, as I'm a photographer and that is on the list...however, he can apply as a graphic designer (it states website design within the brief) as that is what he is qualified in (and does as part of the business) anyway.

I know going down the self employed route takes a while, but do you know if it is a successful way to go? We have a very good business here (its actually a LTD company and we are both MD's) but I don't think we can go down the 'start up' route as you have to invest too much money...
Old Apr 29th 2018, 4:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

As I thought at this point it might be better for me to apply, as I'm a photographer and that is on the list...however, he can apply as a graphic designer (it states website design within the brief) as that is what he is qualified in (and does as part of the business) anyway.

I know going down the self employed route takes a while, but do you know if it is a successful way to go? We have a very good business here (its actually a LTD company and we are both MD's) but I don't think we can go down the 'start up' route as you have to invest too much money...
Will I have to invest my own money if I want to apply for a start-up visa?

You don't have to invest any money under the start up program - the only money you need to show are the funds for settling in Canada - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ity.html#funds
Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for this info, I'll definitely look more into it. I think I was initially put off by the talk of 'investors' as we are only a small company and I am unsure about whether our little business is eligible...but I will definitely read more about this route before I decide how to move forward!
You have both been really helpful, thank you
Old Apr 30th 2018, 8:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

It is a successful way to go, as long as you meet the criteria. My concern would be that he wouldn't be considered under the graphic designer NOC, if it's a web design company that he essentially runs alone. Remember that to be considered under a NOC code you have to prove you do the at least half of the 'main duties' as part of your daily job and that no other NOC matches better. If he does more of the web designer duties than the graphic designer duties day to day, he's at risk of being refused.

Another option is to look at the BC PNP, although you would need to invest money, but presumably you'd do that anyway setting up a new business in Canada? So that may be feasible, have a look at that too.

Good luck.