Immigration Photos

Old Oct 24th 2002, 3:51 pm
Wolfie

Default Immigration Photos

I know this is a fairly minor point - but it's been a big issue with my lawyer.

The lawyer sent me a list of documents that I would need to have in order to apply for Canadian Permanant Residency. On this list - it says I need four immigration photos.

My lawyer is now saying I need the negatives for these photos as well. I couldn't find any reference to that on the immigration website. She told me that I needed them, but if I didn't have them I could submit four photos taken within 6 months.
The next email I got from her was a link to the website that said I needed the negative - but didn't mention anything about being able to submit the pictures without them.

My question is: Do I really need negatives? I've had passport photos taken all my life, I68 photos taken etc & have NEVER needed negatives too.

My second question is: For those of you without lawyers - how hard is it really? I'm an American, married to a Canadian - trying to ditch my lawyer.

Help?

Old Oct 24th 2002, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Bud4life is an unknown quantity at this point

You need a Negative. It is one of the requirements. Without that your application might be rejected. You can ask you lawyer, if you can take another 4 pictures of yourself and also provide negative, if you don't have negative right now.

Hope this helps
Bud.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 3:59 pm
Wolfie

Default negatives - where to get them?

The question is - where on earth do I go for actual negatives?
I called Sears, they don't provide negatives, have never even heard of that.
I called Kinko's - same story.
I'm at a bit of a loss here.... help?

Old Oct 24th 2002, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Pick up yellow pages and start calling photo shops and ask them if they can provide nagtive with photo.

Thats all I can say.

Bud.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

MrsCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the confusion:
In the Photo specs part of the US application(spousal) info it's says that the 4 photos need to be made from an "untouched negative" and it has the size and stuff.

In the Document checklist it says you must submit 4 photos AND a negative.

My experience: I got the pictures taken by a photographer at a studio ( $27) that could produce a negative. Passport type are taken with a Polariod and can only give you 2 photos and no negative .
Ok... I sent the the photos with the negative. When I got my AOR from Buffalo they sent the negative back. Leading me to think they didn't need it.

But then again it did say negative on the Document check list. I read this carefully many times
...And remember the less you send the more they want. And the more you send the less the want. Send the negative! J.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

MrsCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Also...it's complex but not difficult. The lawyer can't speed things up .Straight forward US spousal app shouldnt be too rough. Pay attention to detail . I carried the forms around with me and read them whenever I had a spare moment. We found it best to keep me 'in charge' of the process and my husband just gave me the info I asked for.

Remember, for example when filling out certain fields like military service write "Not Applicable" if that's the case , just don't leave it blank.

Last edited by MrsCanada; Oct 24th 2002 at 4:47 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 6:14 pm
Wolfie

My lawyer is now saying that I don't need the negatives, that the pictures will do just fine.

I am starting to think that I don't need the lawyer at all. Originally, we hired them because neither of us was born in the country where we were living. I wasn't born in the US, he wasn't born in Canada. So we thought it would be complicated.
However, the people at the Border were quick to point out that they didn't really care WHERE I was born, or where my husband was born - since we had always been citizens of the US or Canada.

At least if I was the one making mistakes, I would know it was my fault. But now I feel like I'm paying someone to give me conflicting stories etc.

Thanks for your help. I'm SO glad I found this site!!

Old Oct 24th 2002, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

pashwin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DONT NEED NEGATIVE

The reason your lawyer asked for negative is most probably that the canadian consulate will ask for more photographs later on. So it is suggested you take atleast 10 pictures(same) and keep few with you so when asked you can send more pics. I recently got my visa without any glitches. I was never asked for negative. neither has anything been mention about sending a negative on the immigration manual.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: DONT NEED NEGATIVE

Originally posted by pashwin
The reason your lawyer asked for negative is most probably that the canadian consulate will ask for more photographs later on. So it is suggested you take atleast 10 pictures(same) and keep few with you so when asked you can send more pics. I recently got my visa without any glitches. I was never asked for negative. neither has anything been mention about sending a negative on the immigration manual.
Its not what you think. Under NEW LAW, everyone is required to send in Photos with Negatives. You case was processed under OLD LAW, so you were not required to send in any negatives.

It is mentioned in the required documents checklist. I just checked and it seems like Negative is required ONLY for FAMILY CLASS SPONSORSHIP.

Bud.

Last edited by Bud4life; Oct 24th 2002 at 9:24 pm.