Immigration Lawyer Recommend

Old Mar 2nd 2023, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

alexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nice
Default Immigration Lawyer Recommend

Evening all,

My PR card expires later this year, I won’t meet the residence requirements. I was PR back in 2013, but worked for a Canadian company part time 50% in the USA , so did not get citizenship over that 5 year span.

Since then, I have had other jobs and now live between multiple locations. My children still live in Canada and have their citizenship now. (9 and 12 years old)

Looking for a lawyer to get a recommendation on what to do - surrender or is there a path to retain under humanitarian reasons to be near the kids.

Ideally will be small customer focussed firm, who can tailor advice rather than use standard answers.

Thanks for any help
Alex
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 5:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Lawyer Recommend

I can’t help with lawyer recommendations I’m afraid, a forum search may bring some up though.

But just having children in Canada wouldn’t be enough for humanitarian grounds, you’d also have to prove you couldn’t return due to ‘circumstances beyond your control’ for the hardship application to succeed. Something like a serious medical condition and being unable to travel would be a valid reason, something like not wanting to give a good job up wouldn’t. So your chances of success with a humanitarian app will depend on why you haven’t lived in Canada for the requisite amount of time.

But you say you’ve worked for a Canadian company in the US? That time may count as if time in Canada for residency obligation purposes, so I’d check that very carefully as you may find you’ve met the requirements after all. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1466&top=10

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 2nd 2023 at 5:42 am.