immigration of elderly lady

Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Scalley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default immigration of elderly lady

Hi all,

I’ve just got my PR through the common-law sponsorship route, so I’m happy.

However, when my canadian girlfriend and I move over to Canada in July, we will be leaving her 85yr old grandmother behind. And no we’re not a couple of meanies who like to be cruel to grannies. She’s always lived on her own and been self sufficient, but I’d like to find out about how we might get her into Canada quickly. Her closest family (daughter and grandchildren) live in Canada, and so she could be sponsored by the normal family class route. However, at 85years old, it’s not really practical to wait around for the 5yrs or so it would take to process the application. Are there any other ways we might go about this, perhaps on compassionate grounds that she wants to spend her remaining days with her family. Failing this, could we bring her in on a tourist/visitors visa and then ask to have it extended at a later date.

My girlfriends father would bear the brunt of the costs of all this, and will probably use a consultant if we think it's at all possible. I didn't use a consultant for my own case but i don't think this would be so straight-forward.

Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone wants to hear my experiences of common-law sponsorship I am more than happy to share.

Many thanks in advance

Matt
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:14 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: immigration of elderly lady

Originally Posted by Scalley
Hi all,

I’ve just got my PR through the common-law sponsorship route, so I’m happy.

However, when my canadian girlfriend and I move over to Canada in July, we will be leaving her 85yr old grandmother behind. And no we’re not a couple of meanies who like to be cruel to grannies. She’s always lived on her own and been self sufficient, but I’d like to find out about how we might get her into Canada quickly. Her closest family (daughter and grandchildren) live in Canada, and so she could be sponsored by the normal family class route. However, at 85years old, it’s not really practical to wait around for the 5yrs or so it would take to process the application. Are there any other ways we might go about this, perhaps on compassionate grounds that she wants to spend her remaining days with her family. Failing this, could we bring her in on a tourist/visitors visa and then ask to have it extended at a later date.

My girlfriends father would bear the brunt of the costs of all this, and will probably use a consultant if we think it's at all possible. I didn't use a consultant for my own case but i don't think this would be so straight-forward.

Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone wants to hear my experiences of common-law sponsorship I am more than happy to share.

Many thanks in advance

Matt
I think u can apply on humanitarian or compassionate grounds! maybe it will go through. until that, she can live with u guys on a tourist visa....
But i duno; i always thought that it would take atmost 2 years or so fr a parent or grandparent sponsorship..
I think u should hire a lawyer on this and he will be able to guide u through!!
cheers