Immigration agent advice needed

Old Nov 1st 2019, 1:08 am
Just Joined

StillTravelling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration agent advice needed

Hi,
My wife and I have decided we want to move to Canada. We did some research and although it seems it may be easy enough for us to get a visa, we were just a bit concerned about how it would work because of our ages? So we googled requirements for a Canadian visa and came up with possible options, like the Skilled Workers Express Entry as a Mechanical Engineer falls under this. Our situation, we thought, might be a bit complicated with us being in our mid 40's and I'm qualified as a Mechanic 25 years ago and over the last 10 years I've been a Mechanical Engineer but only with experience not qualifications.
So we found an agent online that seemed reputable and decided to sign up for the eligibility questionnaire, which we thought would just let us know if it's a yes, or no? I never thought it would go straight into starting a process for a visa?
Then, bang on 5pm, as I was getting in my car at work, I got a call from them. Now in hindsight I should've just told them to call me later once I'm home and my mind wasn't still on all the stress I had at work that day. Anyway, they asked me a bunch of questions and said that I'm definitely eligible to get a PR visa through the Skilled Worker Express Entry and our age wouldn't matter. I was super happy about that after thinking they would just tell me I'm too old, sorry. So then she continued to ask more questions about what I do, what I earn etc, etc. Then she said, I need to pay them so they can get my visa going. I then said I could only pay a small portion right now and the rest later, which she agreed was ok, so I did? She then said they needed more information and documents to continue.... At this stage I was completely overwhelmed by how much information they wanted in one phone call, all while I'm sitting in my car outside my place of work. I asked if they wouldn't mind calling me back once I get home which she agreed would be fine. A couple of hours later, she called back and went straight into asking for loads of information, at which stage my wife had been on the internet and read some really bad feedback about them charging too much and harassing people etc. So I made another excuse and turned my phone off.
I don't know if I can name them on here, but they do seem reputable and they have registered agents, she insisted that I check them out, which seemed a good thing?
She also mentioned, shortly after I had paid her that I was now registered with the Canadian visa department, but I have no idea how I can check that is true?
I believe we can do this process without an agent, but I have already paid them some money, so do I just continue with them, or cut my loses and do it myself?
Now, with my head spinning and $300USD out of pocket, I have no idea what I should do next??
Old Nov 1st 2019, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration agent advice needed

Welcome to BE.

The usual advice on here is that you do not need an immigration agent, especially one whose name begins with B.

You can do it yourself!!

An agent cannot get you into Canada unless you are eligible to be considered for a visa. You have to collect all the information required, paying all the fees necessary, then pass the documents over to the agent who will look at them, and charge you more money.

You will end up paying several thousand pounds over and above the necessary fees for applying for visa.

Your age might be against you ..................... but there are very experienced people on here who can help you through every stage. They will be around.

Ab agent MIGHT be helpful if you have multiple marriages, multi divorces and multiple children, or similar very complicated conditions in your life, but otherwise, no!
Old Nov 1st 2019, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome and advice Scilly.

I do agree with you that I think we should try do this ourselves. I have put a hold on my card so they can't take anymore money.

Any advice on how to find out if they did actually register us on the Canadian gov site or should we just register anyway to find out?
Old Nov 1st 2019, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StillTravelling
Hi,
I'm qualified as a Mechanic 25 years ago and over the last 10 years I've been a Mechanical Engineer but only with experience not qualifications
Without a bachelors degree in engineering you are very likely to struggle to gain registration as an engineer here in Canada. Title and practice of engineering here in Canada is protected and administer through the provincial licensing authorities. The usual standard is a bachelors degree and 4 years experience. Without a license you would need to work under a licensed engineer who would need to take professional responsibility for the work being completed.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 4:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
My wife and I have decided we want to move to Canada. We did some research and although it seems it may be easy enough for us to get a visa, we were just a bit concerned about how it would work because of our ages? So we googled requirements for a Canadian visa and came up with possible options, like the Skilled Workers Express Entry as a Mechanical Engineer falls under this. Our situation, we thought, might be a bit complicated with us being in our mid 40's and I'm qualified as a Mechanic 25 years ago and over the last 10 years I've been a Mechanical Engineer but only with experience not qualifications.
So we found an agent online that seemed reputable and decided to sign up for the eligibility questionnaire, which we thought would just let us know if it's a yes, or no? I never thought it would go straight into starting a process for a visa?
Then, bang on 5pm, as I was getting in my car at work, I got a call from them. Now in hindsight I should've just told them to call me later once I'm home and my mind wasn't still on all the stress I had at work that day. Anyway, they asked me a bunch of questions and said that I'm definitely eligible to get a PR visa through the Skilled Worker Express Entry and our age wouldn't matter. I was super happy about that after thinking they would just tell me I'm too old, sorry. So then she continued to ask more questions about what I do, what I earn etc, etc. Then she said, I need to pay them so they can get my visa going. I then said I could only pay a small portion right now and the rest later, which she agreed was ok, so I did? She then said they needed more information and documents to continue.... At this stage I was completely overwhelmed by how much information they wanted in one phone call, all while I'm sitting in my car outside my place of work. I asked if they wouldn't mind calling me back once I get home which she agreed would be fine. A couple of hours later, she called back and went straight into asking for loads of information, at which stage my wife had been on the internet and read some really bad feedback about them charging too much and harassing people etc. So I made another excuse and turned my phone off.
I don't know if I can name them on here, but they do seem reputable and they have registered agents, she insisted that I check them out, which seemed a good thing?
She also mentioned, shortly after I had paid her that I was now registered with the Canadian visa department, but I have no idea how I can check that is true?
I believe we can do this process without an agent, but I have already paid them some money, so do I just continue with them, or cut my loses and do it myself?
Now, with my head spinning and $300USD out of pocket, I have no idea what I should do next??
Please Please Please do NOT sign up with any Immigration consultants!!!

They can't magic up points you don't have - and if you have enough points you can apply yourself without paying megabucks!!

Ask for a refund - they have not done anything for you apart from give you an assessment which most legitimate companies will give for free. Under the distance selling act UK, you are legally entitled to obtain a refund. https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...s-and-services

You cannot be registered with RCIC unless you put in a full application into the Express Entry pool or similar - which you can't have done as you haven't undertaken IELTS testing (mandatory) and have had any Education assessed - which requires YOU to contact one of the official companies to have it done.. they are giving you a load of spiel to get your business.. she means you are 'registered with their internal Canada visa department...' RUN!!!

FIrst and foremost, you may not be classed as a Mechanical Engineer in Canada - it's a Regulated Profession. You may be classed as a Mechanical Technician or similar, or a Millright - what type of mechanics do you do?

If it's a trade then you may be able to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) route, if you can either get a job offer OR get a Certificate of Qualification from one of the Provinces. (it's basically proving you have 9000+ hours of experience)

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 1st 2019 at 4:30 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Engineer abroad. This is very helpful information. Seems I may need to either go in as a qualified mechanic?
Old Nov 1st 2019, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much Siouxe, this is definitely the answers I needed. We will definitely be able to do this whole application thing alone. You guys on this forum are amazing!

I'm a qualified automotive mechanic. I have done years of being a Service Advisor too.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 5:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much Siouxe, this is definitely the answers I needed. We will definitely be able to do this whole application thing alone. You guys on this forum are amazing!

I'm a qualified automotive mechanic. I have done years of being a Service Advisor too.
You are most welcome

As you are a qualified automotive mechanic you should be able to apply under FSW (Trades) which has a far lower point requirement, which is a good thing. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

However, you will need to either obtain the Certificate of Qualification from one of the Provincial bodies (any one will do), generally speaking you will need to fill out a couple of forms and prove you have 9000+ hours of documented experience - you will, in effect, challenge the apprenticeship process. As an example, this is for BC: https://www.itabc.ca/apply-apprentic...fication-exams or obtain an offer of a job. As it's a regulated trade in all Provinces you will need a CoQ to work anyway.. so worth getting.

Do you have any preference of which Province you would like to live in, given a choice? Asking as if you were hoping to apply under any of the Provincial Nomination Programs then you will want to do the CoQ for that Province so that you can show a 'link' to it.

You may find the Jobbank.gc.ca insights useful: - click on the tabs for job outlooks for different Provinces, wages, and links to the Provincial governing bodies for certification etc. https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ation/14799/ca

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 21st 2019 at 5:45 am.