Work Permit Spousal Sponsorship

Old Nov 20th 2019, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

johnwilliam123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit Spousal Sponsorship

Hi All,

My brother is IT consultant, working on a work permit in Montreal. Now he wants to sponsor his wife and two children (One Daughter 3 Yrs OLD and one Son 2 Yrs OLD). We want to complete the online application, Please let us know the following:
1) For Wife, Do we need to apply for OPEN work permit, IF yes then what docs are required and what docs needs to be filled IN.
2) For children do we need to apply extra OR under same application. If extra then what sort of docs we need to fill in.

Please guide if someone has done it before.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 20th 2019, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit Spousal Sponsorship

Originally Posted by johnwilliam123
My brother is IT consultant, working on a work permit in Montreal. Now he wants to sponsor his wife and two children (One Daughter 3 Yrs OLD and one Son 2 Yrs OLD). We want to complete the online application, Please let us know the following:
Suggest your brother creates and account here and asks his own questions. BUT, you say he is working on Montreal on a work permit, is he (i.e. does he have) a Permanent Resident or not? If not, then he cannot sponsor via spousal sponsorship.

1) For Wife, Do we need to apply for OPEN work permit, IF yes then what docs are required and what docs needs to be filled IN.
2) For children do we need to apply extra OR under same application. If extra then what sort of docs we need to fill in.
Need answer to question above re: is he a PR or not?

Note that for spousal sponsorship, there is NO online filing system, everything must be done on paper. Useful reading and links here in wiki:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada

Old Nov 20th 2019, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

No he is not a PR, He is on a closed work permit.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Regarding your other question: Actually I will be filling all the application forms for him, So I need to have all of the information.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

No he is not a PR, He is on a closed work permit.
In that case, he does not qualify to sponsor his wife or children under the Canadian Spousal Sponsorship route. This immigration route is only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

There may be other routes he could look at, but I am not particularly expert in these, I am sure others on this forum will comment appropriately/
Old Nov 20th 2019, 3:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Please guide if someone has done it before.

Thanks in advance
I think you are confusing 'sponsorship' - which is a term used for Permanent Residents / Citizens to sponsor their spouses for Permanent Residency.

If your brother (or friend?) wishes his wife and family to join him in Canada while he is working temporarily, all he has to do is apply for eTA's and purchase a flight for them! On arrival at Montreal - if he provides his wife with a copy of his work permit and a couple of payslips, together with a copy of his contract of employment, she may be able to obtain an open work permit on the back of his work permit. There is no need to apply in advance - and will only cause delays! She would ask for Visitor Records for the children (and herself if she doesn't want to ask for a work permit at that time) which will enable them to attend school. If they are all entering as visitors, I would still suggest having a copy of her husbands' contract of employment and work permit, so that she can get the Visitor Record for them all.

Apart from the eTA, it can all usually be done at the port of entry - nothing for your brother or yourself to do other than supply copies of the documents.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...anada/eta.html

https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv....es-spouse.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 20th 2019 at 3:55 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for reply:

Actually we are applying from Pakistan. This is what I read now:
If you are a national of a visa-required country, you are not eligible to apply for an eTA. Exceptions include lawful permanent residents of the United States (US LPR).
Old Nov 20th 2019, 4:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reply:

Actually we are applying from Pakistan. This is what I read now:
If you are a national of a visa-required country, you are not eligible to apply for an eTA. Exceptions include lawful permanent residents of the United States (US LPR).
I see. You would need to apply for a visitor visa for her and the children to visit then.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...itor-visa.html
https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/pakistan/

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 21st 2019 at 4:30 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for reply, I am really confused now. Some people are saying you need to apply open work permit for your wife and visitor visa for children but some are saying visitor visa for all of them.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 12:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reply, I am really confused now. Some people are saying you need to apply open work permit for your wife and visitor visa for children but some are saying visitor visa for all of them.
Who are 'some people'? Siouxie knows the Canada immigration system very well. If you're still confused after reading her response then it might be a good idea to consult a paid immigration adviser.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:39 pm
Banned

I suggested obtaining eTA's and applying at the port of entry for a spousal open work permit and visitor records for the children - however, that was before you made me aware that your brother's family are from Pakistan. Pakistan citizens require a Visitor Visa to enter the country - which is necessary to apply for to be able to get on a plane to Canada. If she wishes to work as well then she will need to apply for a work permit, either online or at the port of entry as detailed before.