immigration advice please

Old May 16th 2013, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

stridesy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default immigration advice please

My husband and I would like to immigrate to vancouver.he has family in abbotford, agassiz and vernon.i am half canadian and have a four year old son.

Looking at the list we dont have the skills.i work in an insurance company while my husband works an an optical/laser stote manager in kensington london.ironically he was going to train as an audiologist in his last job.i was wondering how easy is it to get jobs in this field and how much would the take home pay be.

Was also wondering how much we would need to save up and is it easy to rent or get a mortgage out there.

any replies greatly appreciated
Old May 16th 2013, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: immigration advice please

Originally Posted by stridesy
My husband and I would like to immigrate to vancouver.he has family in abbotford, agassiz and vernon.i am half canadian and have a four year old son.

Looking at the list we dont have the skills.i work in an insurance company while my husband works an an optical/laser stote manager in kensington london.ironically he was going to train as an audiologist in his last job.i was wondering how easy is it to get jobs in this field and how much would the take home pay be.

Was also wondering how much we would need to save up and is it easy to rent or get a mortgage out there.

any replies greatly appreciated
Hi, and welcome to BE. When you say you're 'half Canadian', what do you mean? Are you not already a Canadian citizen then?

If you're not, then have a look at the Wiki for info on the various visa routes. This page is a good place to start - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Re: costs to save up, a lot! Emigration isn't cheap unfortunately. This thread has some useful figures in - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

There's also lots of info in the Wiki and on the forum about renting v buying (most would recommend you rent for at least the first year), so have a hunt.

Good luck.
Old May 16th 2013, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

stridesy is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad was born in toronto but lived in uk since he was three. (He was a post war baby). I have canadian citizenship.my brother also managed to get a canadian passport.

Thanks.i will have a look.
Old May 16th 2013, 4:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not sure if you are a Citizen, take the test on the CIC website. If you are, then it's possible your son is also (depending on when he was born and where you were).

If you are a Citizen then you can make an application to sponsor your husband even whilst you are living in the UK.

Once you ascertain if you are or not, come back and somebody will be able to advise you of the next steps to take.

Edited after seeing your reply. You can sponsor your husband - application is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp - if your son is not also a Canadian Citizen you will need to sponsor him as well. If he is, you will need to apply for his Citizenship too - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

Last edited by Siouxie; May 16th 2013 at 4:41 pm.
Old May 16th 2013, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My dad was born in toronto but lived in uk since he was three. (He was a post war baby). I have canadian citizenship.my brother also managed to get a canadian passport.

Thanks.i will have a look.
So if you have Canadian citizenship, then you can just sponsor your husband and child for PR (that's assuming your child isn't also Canadian, do check on that). Easy peasy then, and doesn't matter that he's not on 'the list' or he doesn't qualify for any other visa route.

Have a look at the Wiki article for spousal sponsorship, as that's what you'll need to do.

Good luck.
Old May 16th 2013, 6:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't have any credit history to speak of and Vancouver is the most expensive place to live in Canada. Although if you're from London you're probably used to ridiculously high prices.

The Vancouver metro area actually has a slightly higher population density than central London, I think your best bet would be to visit and figure it out, get your Canadian passport first.