Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

if wife is pregnant, can applicant proceed alone ?

if wife is pregnant, can applicant proceed alone ?

Old Sep 10th 2001, 7:26 am
Waseem

I searched this group before posting this, and found scenarios just like mine. But
I've another question related to this.

What I've found in posts is that if you are immigration applicant along with your
wife as dependant and if your wife is pregnant, her medical cannot be done because
they need x ray as mendatory condition of medical and x ray is not usually done on
pregnant women by medical practitioners. It means, medical of the wife alone will be
delayed, NOT of the main applicant. So, can applicant proceed with his medical , get
landing papers and land in Canada while his wife waits for delivery and then
completes medical alongwith new born, and join him later ?

Old Sep 10th 2001, 11:47 am
Stephen C. Gallagher

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

No. When a person applies for an immigrant visa all of his dependents (spouse and all
children) must complete the medical examination whether they are immigrating or not,
before visas will be issued for anyone in the family.

The medical exams are required to determine if any of the potential immigrants have a
condition that might put excessive strain on Canada's health & medical system. If any
one person in the family (including someone who is not planning to immigrate) has a
condition that would put a strain on the system, then the visas for the entire group
will be denied on medical grounds.

The reason for requiring all family members to have the exam, before issuing any
visa, is because before a person has permanent residence in Canada, he can't appeal a
denial of a visa based on medical grounds. But, once a person becomes a permanent
resident, if a visa were denied to a dependent on medical grounds, that person could
appeal it on what are known as "humanitarian and compassionate" grounds, also
referred to as H&C. It's because of this that all of a person's dependent aged
children, even those who do not live with him and are not planning to immigrate, and
his spouse, must complete a medical exam. The potential exists for him to bring them
in later, and the government wants to make sure that they would not have a likelihood
of causing strain on the Canadian health and medical system.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Sep 10th 2001, 1:01 pm
James Metcalfe

Wassem:

All members of the family on an application must pass medicals before any visas are
issued. In you case you will have to wait the the birth of your child add the child
to the aplication and then all of you should have medicals at the same time.

Jim Metcalfe, Consultant and former visa officer

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 11th 2001, 4:39 am
Waseem

Thankyou very much for your responses. I've another question about this.

My interview is in a few days time and I'll have to wait for birth of my child for 8
months or so. Once I appear in interview and they ask to do medicals; then if I have
to wait such a long time ( 8 to 10 months ) for medical AFTER interview, does it have
any negative effect on my application ? For example, can they ask for fresh police
certificates, or fresh proof of funds like bank statements etc. even when you have
done this in interview but 8 to 10 months elapsed for medicals ?

In short, once you clear interview and you are asked to go for mecicals, can your
case be affected by any factor that is assessed in interview ?

Old Sep 12th 2001, 11:33 am
James Metcalfe

There are basically three stages to a successful case. The civil stage where you
demonstrate your eligibility and acceptability to a visa officer either at an
interview or as a result of a waiver of interview. The medical where you shoulw you
are not inadmissible for health reasons and criminal/security. At any time before you
visa is issued a visa office can make reasonable requests of you including updated
bank statements, new police certificates etc. The requests in your case should not be
onerous. You could prepare yourself for them and have new documents ready afteer you
do your delayed medicals. You could even submit them even tough they are not
requested.

Jim Metcalfe

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >