need some advice on job hunting

Old Sep 10th 2001, 8:07 am
Tumbic

Hi

I will be langing some time next year and will be looking for a networking and system
administration job. I've seen a number of postings suggesting that contacting
employers while outside of Canada (eastern europe in my case) is a bad idea as they
will never bother to reply because of the current economic situation in north
america. They will all want you to be in the country and then talk to you.

So my question is: how long in advance before landing should I start emailing my
resume out to potential employers and what should I include to make sure they reply?
Will this make a difference if I say in my application I will be a PR in say two
month? I would really prefer to have something at hand when I land rather then send
my application from withing Canada just because I will have an address and a phone
number there.

any advice appreciated, tumbic

Old Sep 10th 2001, 9:12 am
Valid Login

I have plans something like yours. I was thinking I could call the recruiters
and keep close contacts, fly there before the "final landing" to talk to
employers... etc.

I was hoping that would work out. I'll closely follow how things go in your case.

Cheers !! [Keep your spirits high no matter what the world goes through]

Tumbic wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 10th 2001, 1:18 pm
Kks

PLanning to do the same thing guys......Hope it works that way

cheers Valid Login <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Hi[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I will be langing some time next year and will be looking for a networking and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > system administration job. I've seen a number of postings suggesting that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > contacting employers while outside of Canada (eastern europe in my case) is a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > bad idea as they will never bother to reply because of the current economic[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > situation in north america. They will all want you to be in the country and then[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > talk to you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > So my question is: how long in advance before landing should I start emailing my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > resume out to potential employers and what should I include to make sure they[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > reply? Will this make a difference if I say in my application I will be a PR in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > say two month? I would really prefer to have something at hand when I land rather[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > then send my application from withing Canada just because I will have an address[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and a phone number there.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > any advice appreciated, tumbic[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 10th 2001, 2:44 pm
Luterin

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
I wouldn't say it's a "bad idea" to do so. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to make contact
before you land. Not all may reply... Those who reply may say to contact them when
you have Landed... There might even be an odd one willing to proceed further.

At least, you may have built a working "relationship" with one or more
agent/agency/prosepective employer before you arrive and, depending on the
"relationship", you'll Land with a certain degree of confidence in establishing your
professional future.

Good Luck, -Lute.

Old Sep 12th 2001, 12:20 pm
Tim Taylor

I have just returned from a holiday in Toronto (more of a fact finding mission
actually) and while I was their I contacted a few Recruitment agencies in the region.

Most were very helpfull and said that they deal with overseas applicants all the
time. The usual approach appears to be that closer to the time of my arrival (couple
of months before) that I contact them again, and they will try to arrange some
telephone interviews for me. Not sure what happens if I talk to an employer who likes
me, but what I want to try and do is arrange some interviews in Canada, via the
telephone interview, and go over a month before landing to meet/take the interview
with them. Then I go back home, pack my stuff and leave.

Hope this helps

Tim

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >