Ielts Test.

Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ielts Test.

In the Ielts test, are you talking and listening to a human or a computer ?
My missus failed the Cel-pip miserably because she is totally computer illiterate and couldn't navigate through it.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ielts Test.

That's a little unfortunate as the CELPIP is probably easier for most people.

Did she go in 'blind' and not do any practice tests beforehand?

IELTS is paper based and face-to-face.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
That's a little unfortunate as the CELPIP is probably easier for most people.

Did she go in 'blind' and not do any practice tests beforehand?

IELTS is paper based and face-to-face.
Thanks,
It was the computer that got her, never used one before.
I had a hell of a job trying to talk into a computer instead of a human, especially with the din going on around, another 29 people all shouting louder than each other with various accents from around the world, it was a very cheap and nasty way of conducting a test.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Must have been really bad headphones where you were - I couldn't hear anyone else, although I did finish first so probably got through the talking bit before anyone else started!

I guess she didn't do any practice tests then?

It wasn't an easy test and anyone who thinks it really is will get a shock!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

No, she didn't do sample tests, but that wouldn't help her computer skills or lack of.
English is a 4th language for her and if it was a person asking the questions, I know she would have passed.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

SUNSHINEGIRL_X is an unknown quantity at this point

I sat the Ielts here in Germany. The listening was played over a loud speaker and we had a answer sheet we had to write answers on in pencil so you can correct yourself. Reading was a paper booklet which you could write on and transfer your answers to an answer sheet.
Writing was a sheet of paper you could choose to write in Pen or pencil. I opted for pencil so I could correct myself. Speaking was to an actual person who asked you questions and you had to talk for 2 minutes on a topic they give you mine was on a colourful place. I did do the sample tests before I went which you can find online and print off. My results were speaking 9, listening 8.5 and reading writing 7.5 each. 9 is the highest mark you can get my over all average was 8.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by neilg14
No, she didn't do sample tests, but that wouldn't help her computer skills or lack of.
English is a 4th language for her and if it was a person asking the questions, I know she would have passed.
Maybe a basic computer course would be useful then? Not just for the course, but for life in general?

I would suggest then doing the online sample tests for CELPIP (they are set up the same way as the real exam), learning the routine for that and sitting it again, or alternatively enrolling on one of the courses which are set up for passing the test.

Alternatively an IELTS, which is pen and paper, but practice tests would still be advisable.

The practice tests for both can be found for free on the internet.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

SamJM is an unknown quantity at this point

Also had problems with CELIP because of it being computer based & the test centre - Edmonton, Concordia. Still awaiting results, the practice tests do not prepare you for the test conditions which are dire & the rude, unhelpful staff. If the results aren't good will retake with the IELTS.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like had a bad test centre. Are there any alternative ones in Edmonton?