Dual Intent - leaving Canada

Old Apr 14th 2015, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

AdamR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Intent - leaving Canada

Hi All,

Today my partner received her sponsorship approval and it''s been sent to Ottawa, which has around a 7 month processing time at present.

My partners visa expires on 15th July 2015 and we plan to fly to Canada on the 7th July, which means I will be potentially taking the dual intent route.

My question is, during the time I'm either a visitor or dual intent and waiting for my decision am I allowed to leave Canada, or is it advised not to? I ask as my partners aunt wants to take the family to Alaska and I've been invited along. Obviously I want to go but I don't want to have trouble getting back into Canada on the way back or potentially harm my application.

Kind regards,
Adam
Old Apr 14th 2015, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Intent - leaving Canada

Originally Posted by AdamR
Hi All,

Today my partner received her sponsorship approval and it''s been sent to Ottawa, which has around a 7 month processing time at present.

My partners visa expires on 15th July 2015 and we plan to fly to Canada on the 7th July, which means I will be potentially taking the dual intent route.

My question is, during the time I'm either a visitor or dual intent and waiting for my decision am I allowed to leave Canada, or is it advised not to? I ask as my partners aunt wants to take the family to Alaska and I've been invited along. Obviously I want to go but I don't want to have trouble getting back into Canada on the way back or potentially harm my application.

Kind regards,
Adam
The dual intent is for a person who enters as a visitor but is submitting an application or intends to submit one and is married to a Canadian citizen or PR and intends to remain in Canada to live and work. If you leave Canada either as a visitor or dual intent then when seeking re entry the officer can either admit you or refuse if found inadmissible. Dual intent doesn't guarantee entry. Are you doing an outland or inland application?
Read the wiki on the outland and inland procedures and their advantages and disadvantages.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../visa/dual.asp

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Apr 14th 2015 at 9:41 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:27 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

OP applied outland via London and has his SA now.

OP - FL is a CBSA officer so does know his stuff. Basically, it's a risk. Each time you leave and re-enter Canada it's a risk. However, the chances of a Brit married to a Canadian who has a sponsorship application in process is unlikely to be denied. Make sure you read the wiki article on dual intent as well as CIC's article which FL linked to (FL - thanks - didn't know that article existed! I'll update the wiki!).
Old Apr 15th 2015, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

AdamR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the guidance both.

I think when it comes down to it I wouldn't want to take any undue risks.