Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC, Quebec PR, moving to Alberta?

IEC, Quebec PR, moving to Alberta?

Old Sep 19th 2013, 5:17 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default IEC, Quebec PR, moving to Alberta?

Hi,

I'm a geologist, have an IEC work permit, I live up north in Quebec and work for a Quebec company (approaching 2 years). I have a Quebec skilled worker PR application in progress (maybe coming to the end of that - RPRF paid in June). Unfortunately there's not much work in mining, oil & gas, or geophysics in Quebec at the moment due to political / economical reasons. Does anyone know if finding a job in Alberta would affect my PR application at all? And what about after I have PR - could it be revoked since I wouldn't be in Quebec? At this stage, Alberta would be a temporary thing but I'm also aware that the situation in Quebec may not improve for quite some time...

Thanks
Cat
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:51 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC, Quebec PR, moving to Alberta?

Originally Posted by catpea33
Hi,

I'm a geologist, have an IEC work permit, I live up north in Quebec and work for a Quebec company (approaching 2 years). I have a Quebec skilled worker PR application in progress (maybe coming to the end of that - RPRF paid in June). Unfortunately there's not much work in mining, oil & gas, or geophysics in Quebec at the moment due to political / economical reasons. Does anyone know if finding a job in Alberta would affect my PR application at all? And what about after I have PR - could it be revoked since I wouldn't be in Quebec? At this stage, Alberta would be a temporary thing but I'm also aware that the situation in Quebec may not improve for quite some time...

Thanks
Cat
Yes it will. Should you move to Alberta, you will stop completing QC provincial tax forms indicating you are no longer resident in QC and the province will most likeley withdraw your nomination. This has happened to others. If you have PR, you have the right to work anywhere.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:03 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: IEC, Quebec PR, moving to Alberta?

Originally Posted by JGK
Yes it will. Should you move to Alberta, you will stop completing QC provincial tax forms indicating you are no longer resident in QC and the province will most likeley withdraw your nomination. This has happened to others. If you have PR, you have the right to work anywhere.
Ok thanks JGK, I figured that would be the case. Guess I'll have to stick around in QC with the pathetic dregs of work!