IEC bank account check

Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road
Default IEC bank account check

So today I went and opened a second current account to prepare for starting to save for the 3k I need.

I opened a second account as I have a maxed out £1500 student overdraft on my main current account.

If I can't save the 3k a family member will lend me the rest for a couple of hours whilst I get my statement printed and signed by the bank. I'm not going till march/april so I have enough time to save enough funds. Plus I have job offers so wont need that much. The money I save will be my holiday to Vegas and travelling around America before arriving in Canada to work.

When the IEC people check my bank statement will they be like 'ok obviously someone has just transfered money to you' and 'obviously this isn't your main current account'

If I have a job offer too, does this mean I don't need as much money? Because my friend I'm going with, I'm not sure if she has a way of borrowing 3k. She has a job offer too.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC bank account check

I hate to point this out, but the money mustn't be borrowed. Obviously they may not find out, but if they do ask you to prove where the money came from (and they can), then what would you do?

Plus you say that the money you save will be for travelling around the US prior to arriving in Canada, but don't forget you'll be asked to show proof of funds when you arrive in Canada as well.

A job offer doesn't have any relevance for a WHV (and just a job offer wouldn't be enough to make a difference anyway for a visa, it would need to be a job offer approved by HRSDC), so you still need the money I'm afraid.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

I read somewhere that you don't need as much funds if you already have a job.

but either way...ill be applying for the visa in the next couple of months when they hopefully come out....i cant get 3k by then! maybe half that...
Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ahh, just read about the third party form thing. So my mum can sign it and say she'll support me if I have no funds. sorted
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

twohoots is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure from reading the main IEC thread on here, many people transferred money in to their account, got the bank to sign, then transferred the money back out again. I'll be doing similar by transferring from my savings account to my current account, I don't see it being a problem. Hopefully...
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by twohoots
I'm pretty sure from reading the main IEC thread on here, many people transferred money in to their account, got the bank to sign, then transferred the money back out again. I'll be doing similar by transferring from my savings account to my current account, I don't see it being a problem. Hopefully...
Would they not be okay with just seeing a copy of your savings? My new current account is basically gonna be like a savings account but should I use it as a proper current account and transfer my bank account for wages and direct debts etc?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

twohoots is an unknown quantity at this point

It's an online Post Office account so I wouldn't be able to get it signed off. I got the impression there's a section in the actual application form you need to get your bank to sign, ideally, if not a stamped and signed statement will suffice. I'm not sure though, just bits and pieces I picked up from the other thread.

I was thinking we could start a proper 2012 IEC thread now?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully is indeed the relevant word. CIC do say that the funds must 'not be borrowed or encumbered', and can ask you to prove where they came from. So although it will probably be fine, if they decide to crack down it it's something to be aware of.

I was thinking we could start a proper 2012 IEC thread now?
Good idea.