IEC Age Validity and Job Search

Old Jun 10th 2022, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Steve90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC Age Validity and Job Search

Hi,

I have had my IEC approved and POE letter come through. I understand the validity of activating the POE is for a year.
I was planning on activating it later this year or early next year.
I assume the IEC work permit is valid for 2 years.
My concern is around my age, I will be 30 when I potentially activate work permit.
My query is will I still be given a 2 year visa (standard duration of IEC) or only till I am 31 (as I understand that is the age group IEC is targeted at)?

I had an additional query around the IEC and job searching, do employers normally want proof of an active work visa (as I understand POE isnt proof of a visa) or will they be satisfied with my IEC being approved provisionally to take me seriously for a job?
Basically, is it worth me job searching yet, or should I activate the work permit first?
Old Jun 10th 2022, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Age Validity and Job Search

As long as you get the POE letter and activate it in the timeframe identified on the letter then you will get a 2 year open work permit. Up to the employer if they would give you/hire you before having the actual work permit in hand a a temp Social Insurance Number. Many won't.
Old Oct 19th 2022, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Nomad101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Steve, a bit off topic but just wanted to ask how long it took you to win a spot in the IEC pool after you applied. I'm gonna be hitting 31 soon and wanna know whether I have a shot before my birthday.

Thanks
Old Oct 20th 2022, 5:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nomad101
Hey Steve, a bit off topic but just wanted to ask how long it took you to win a spot in the IEC pool after you applied. I'm gonna be hitting 31 soon and wanna know whether I have a shot before my birthday.

Thanks
Hi, welcome to BE.

How long it took somebody else isn’t really relevant, Steve may have applied just when the program opened with a really good chance of getting an ITA, whereas somebody that applied later in the year May have had a much lower chance and never got one at all.

How far away is ‘soon’ for your 31st birthday? The 2022 program is closed now so hopefully your birthday will be a while after the 2023 program opens. If you get in early you’ll have a really good chance of getting an invite.

Good luck.