IEC 2015

Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: IEC 2015

Oh and one extra point I forgot to mention, with your British and Irish Citizenship, you *theoretically* could manage 4 years of IEC in Canada, which should be plenty enough time to get you through to the end of Spousal sponsorship (I'm sure it's less than 3 years but someone will correct me if I'm wrong )

This is of course if the IEC isn't gutted next year...
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:25 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doubleym
Oh and one extra point I forgot to mention, with your British and Irish Citizenship, you *theoretically* could manage 4 years of IEC in Canada, which should be plenty enough time to get you through to the end of Spousal sponsorship (I'm sure it's less than 3 years but someone will correct me if I'm wrong )

This is of course if the IEC isn't gutted next year...
Your only allowed 2 participations in your lifetime regardless of passport or so I was told (unless your australian). The most you can get is 1 year UK and 2 year Irish. People got rejected last year for trying that one.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Your only allowed 2 participations in your lifetime regardless of passport or so I was told (unless your australian). The most you can get is 1 year UK and 2 year Irish. People got rejected last year for trying that one.
Really? I'm sure I'd seen people doing it before unless they've changed things in the last year...
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:39 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I'm sure I'd seen people doing it before unless they've changed things in the last year...

The only way that would change is if the UK gets 2 years as well in one go - we should do as that's what Canadians get when they come to the UK on a WHV
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

The only way that would change is if the UK gets 2 years as well in one go - we should do as that's what Canadians get when they come to the UK on a WHV
Ahh that must be what I'm thinking of.

Still think it's super weird that the UK got 2 x 1, especially as you mentioned that Canadians get a single 2 year, I thought it was supposed to be reciprocal.

But then obviously the Aussies have the best deal...naturally because far more young Canadians would like to go over there than head to the UK :P
Old Jan 26th 2015, 5:24 am
Bex in the city

But then obviously the Aussies have the best deal...naturally because far more young Canadians would like to go over there than head to the UK :P
Possibly. I do believe someone informed me that agreement was put in place for the Sydney Olympics in 2000 (Definately not recent thing).

Not sure how the numbers compare but one of my work colleagues (Canadian) has just applied for her 2nd year Oz permit - despite Australians getting unlimited 2 years visas until they are 30. Canadians still have to do the fruit picking work that entitles them to another year in Oz (same as the UK).
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burke
No it's quite the opposite! I just don't want to clog up this thread with my own personal issues but if it helps someone else then that's fine!

1) Marriage - not really an option at the moment. We've only been together a year and a half and neither of us would feel happy with that kind of commitment just for me to live and work there. Time may change that but right now it's out of the question.

2) Common Law - We have no legal foundation for our relationship. We're both 23 and are far from having any kind of join bank accounts or leases etc so is that out of the question until I actually get there through IEC anyway?

3) What skills are need for the CEC? I'd be happy to explore that idea but it seems like it would be a long winded route.

Thanks in advance for yours and any others help. Sometimes it gets pretty depressing when you spend hours trawling through cold government websites that seem to be so complicated. It's nice to just talk to a human who actually knows their stuff. On that final note, would it be worth calling / visiting the embassy in London?
As others have pretty much answered your questiion I won't go into too much detail.

2) You have to be physically living together. It would have to be until you get over there on IEC, but in my opinion the fact you're spending all this time and money maintaining a long distance relationship it would probably be worth discussing with her at some point prior to going over if it's something she'd be comfortable with.

3) Skills must be classed as 0, A or B on the NOC. This link is where you can find the info and without looking I'm guessing the wiki on this forum has a quicker explanation. Welcome to the National Occupational Classification 2011 I know a couple of IEC participants who have been successful down this route. Just worth thinking about in advance, get some speculative job searching done.

As for the embassy. That would be a waste of time IMO. This process is dealt with by Ottawa and the High Commission's Twitter account pretty regularly directs a lot of immigration questions elsewhere, especially IEC related questions. I don't have a job at the moment so I spend a little too much time trawling the websites in between looking and applying for jobs
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly. I do believe someone informed me that agreement was put in place for the Sydney Olympics in 2000 (Definately not recent thing).

Not sure how the numbers compare but one of my work colleagues (Canadian) has just applied for her 2nd year Oz permit - despite Australians getting unlimited 2 years visas until they are 30. Canadians still have to do the fruit picking work that entitles them to another year in Oz (same as the UK).
Yeah it's definitely not a reciprocal agreement there the cynic in me would believe that it's because the majority of the thousands of Aussies go up to the snow resorts, cheap seasonal labour. Also, not that it's really related but I don't know any Australians that consider staying in Canada permanently, most seem more than happy to go back to Aus (as have most of my Australian friends), whereas pretty much everyone applying for UK and Ireland atleast would give their left arm to stay
Old Jan 26th 2015, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Burke is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why you couldn't apply for two, this may be the case but I wouldn't like to say! My understanding is it's per-passport essentially, but I can't guarantee that...

However they usually open the quotas at separate times, so you would already now whether you made it into one or the other, and if so you just don't bother with the second.

Regarding being ready, make sure you have your passport, get your police certificates sorted ASAP, you'll need these for the next step after securing a place in the IEC quota. I can't remember if you need a scan of your passport for the initial part but you'll need it at some point anyway.

From what I can remember you just need to be quick, create an account, log in, fill in passport number, name etc and boom, done.

I managed to get the 15th WTN number last time, my girlfriend who was sat next to me took a minute or so more and got something like 500... so you need fast fingers!
Right so my plan should be to go for the Irish one as soon as it's up and if I don't get that move straight to the British one? Do you know if, or where I can check to see if, I need different documents for the Irish IEC?

From 15th to 500th in a minute, that's pretty scary! Were you checking it hourly or something in the week before?
Old Jan 26th 2015, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
As others have pretty much answered your questiion I won't go into too much detail.

2) You have to be physically living together. It would have to be until you get over there on IEC, but in my opinion the fact you're spending all this time and money maintaining a long distance relationship it would probably be worth discussing with her at some point prior to going over if it's something she'd be comfortable with.

3) Skills must be classed as 0, A or B on the NOC. This link is where you can find the info and without looking I'm guessing the wiki on this forum has a quicker explanation. Welcome to the National Occupational Classification 2011 I know a couple of IEC participants who have been successful down this route. Just worth thinking about in advance, get some speculative job searching done.

As for the embassy. That would be a waste of time IMO. This process is dealt with by Ottawa and the High Commission's Twitter account pretty regularly directs a lot of immigration questions elsewhere, especially IEC related questions. I don't have a job at the moment so I spend a little too much time trawling the websites in between looking and applying for jobs
We'd be fine doing the spousal visa once I'm already there and settled for the required year etc, it's just at the moment we're looking for the fastest route for me to get my foot in the door so to speak, hence IEC!

I'll have a look at the skilled jobs but like I said, I sincerely doubt I'll either have any of these skills or be able to attain them in the time frame I want to go back there. Unless there is a worker shortage for freelance writers.

I know this probably has been asked before but do you, or anyone else reading this, know roughly how long from hitting submit on the day it will take to being approved and allowed to go?

Thanks for your help everyone, really nice to hear from competent people!
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Right so my plan should be to go for the Irish one as soon as it's up and if I don't get that move straight to the British one? Do you know if, or where I can check to see if, I need different documents for the Irish IEC?

From 15th to 500th in a minute, that's pretty scary! Were you checking it hourly or something in the week before?
We'd be fine doing the spousal visa once I'm already there and settled for the required year etc, it's just at the moment we're looking for the fastest route for me to get my foot in the door so to speak, hence IEC!

I'll have a look at the skilled jobs but like I said, I sincerely doubt I'll either have any of these skills or be able to attain them in the time frame I want to go back there. Unless there is a worker shortage for freelance writers.

I know this probably has been asked before but do you, or anyone else reading this, know roughly how long from hitting submit on the day it will take to being approved and allowed to go?

Thanks for your help everyone, really nice to hear from competent people!
For sure your quickest route will be IEC! It's entirely possible that you could gain the experience required to qualify because things you wouldn't think count, actually would. It's quite a big area to look into so I wouldn't completely write it off, especially if you can get an employer to provide a permanent job offer for bonus points!! There will be some professions classed as skilled that you wouldn't even imagine being skilled.

How long the process takes varies on each individual. Previously some have completed the process in 2 weeks, others have had to wait months. It's hard to say.

As for the Irish program, exactly the same docs are required. As others have said your best bet would be one or the other. The Letter of Introduction is valid for one year so applying for multiple programs if allowed, you end up risking not being able to use one and it'll still count as a participation.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

HannahM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I'm planning on applying for the IEC when it opens this year. As I spent 6 months in the USA when I was 19 I was preparing to send off for my FBI check. As this is supposed to take 14-16 weeks I contacted the IEC people to clarify whether, if the certificate still hasn't arrived by the time it is requested by CIC, there would be a time limit on how long they would extend the period to allow me to upload it. This was the response...

You will require a police certificate from each country that you have lived in for six consecutive months within the past 24 months. The case processing agent may ask for further police certificates at the time of processing.

At this time we advise you to apply when the quota opens and have your application assessed. The case processing agent will give you specific instructions at the time they process your application if further information is required.

Should you be unable to provide the information and/or other documents requested by CIC at Step 2 of the application process, you must advise them in writing, the detailed reasons why you cannot provide the document/information requested. You must upload this written explanation electronically through the MyCIC portal in lieu of the document requested.

So apparently I only definitely need a police certificate for places I've spent 6 months in the last 24 months (not since 18 as expected). Now I'm confused as to whether I should just go ahead and get my FBI check now (in case they do request it as they said they may request others) or wait until (if) they do request it. Had anyone else been in a similar situation in previous years? Any advice?

Hope this is of use to others and it hasn't confused anyone else!
Hannah
Old Jan 26th 2015, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
For sure your quickest route will be IEC! It's entirely possible that you could gain the experience required to qualify because things you wouldn't think count, actually would. It's quite a big area to look into so I wouldn't completely write it off, especially if you can get an employer to provide a permanent job offer for bonus points!! There will be some professions classed as skilled that you wouldn't even imagine being skilled.

How long the process takes varies on each individual. Previously some have completed the process in 2 weeks, others have had to wait months. It's hard to say.

As for the Irish program, exactly the same docs are required. As others have said your best bet would be one or the other. The Letter of Introduction is valid for one year so applying for multiple programs if allowed, you end up risking not being able to use one and it'll still count as a participation.
If I get an employer to offer me a job, that would bypass the whole system right? The only thing I noticed is that employers now have to pay a $1k fee and prove that there are no Canadians available for the job before offering to to a foreign national. As I don't have any in demand skills that would put me above the average Canadian, is it still worth me looking in to?

Also, what determines some people taking 2 weeks and others months? Any tips to become part of the former camp?
Old Jan 26th 2015, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

If I get an employer to offer me a job, that would bypass the whole system right? The only thing I noticed is that employers now have to pay a $1k fee and prove that there are no Canadians available for the job before offering to to a foreign national. As I don't have any in demand skills that would put me above the average Canadian, is it still worth me looking in to?

Also, what determines some people taking 2 weeks and others months? Any tips to become part of the former camp?
Yeah I guess, it's pretty difficult but it's not impossible it's an option.

As for why applications take longer than others? Who really knows. Usually it's because they request more paperwork, but a lot of people previously posting claim they didn't understand why their application was being held up, so the only advice that can be given is just dot your i's and cross your t's
Old Jan 26th 2015, 6:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

employers now have to pay a $1k fee and prove that there are no Canadians available for the job before offering to to a foreign national. As I don't have any in demand skills that would put me above the average Canadian, is it still worth me looking in to?
The new fees are why there are a 78% drop in LMIA applications. If you don't have any skills that are in short supply, I doubt your chances even fall into single digits.

The purpose of the WP program is tom make sure Canadians/PR get hired over foreign labour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.