IEC 2015

Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

AFishbowl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC 2015

I see, thanks. As those documents are for CIC staff, I take it I can wait until they request one? The reason is that I'm struggling to get my FBI check off the ground (fingerprints!) and would like to buy as much time as I can. It sounds like it'd be standard for me to wait until they request one (since they say it nowhere else) rather than being proactive and running around trying to get one. At the very least, I won't be penalized for it.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AFishbowl
I see, thanks. As those documents are for CIC staff, I take it I can wait until they request one? The reason is that I'm struggling to get my FBI check off the ground (fingerprints!) and would like to buy as much time as I can. It sounds like it'd be standard for me to wait until they request one (since they say it nowhere else) rather than being proactive and running around trying to get one. At the very least, I won't be penalized for it.
Well it's your call. Everyone else is getting one done, and historically they will usually ask for one or reject applications for not submitting police checks, depends who is assessing your file.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

heyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Well it's your call. Everyone else is getting one done, and historically they will usually ask for one or reject applications for not submitting police checks, depends who is assessing your file.
Really? Rejecting an applicant for following the rules (nowhere have I been asked to submit an FBI check) seems ridiculous.

Edit: Also, just to clarify: I will get a check, I just can't right now - there's nowhere in Prague to get fingerprints taken and though I'm trying to do it myself, I'm not sure they will be accepted. In the meantime, if I wait for them to ask at least I'll be back in the UK and will actually be able to get the check done.

P.s - ha! Didn't realise I had two accounts, nor that I logged in differently on different devices!

Last edited by heyseus; Mar 21st 2015 at 1:40 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heyseus
Really? Rejecting an applicant for following the rules (nowhere have I been asked to submit an FBI check) seems ridiculous.

Edit: Also, just to clarify: I will get a check, I just can't right now - there's nowhere in Prague to get fingerprints taken and though I'm trying to do it myself, I'm not sure they will be accepted. In the meantime, if I wait for them to ask at least I'll be back in the UK and will actually be able to get the check done.

P.s - ha! Didn't realise I had two accounts, nor that I logged in differently on different devices!
It's rightly or wrongly happened in the past. Like I said, depends entirely on who is assessing your application. To be fair, it doesn't explicitly say in the application guide for IEC you need one from your home country either, just that "you may need one"
Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

heyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond reputeheyseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
It's rightly or wrongly happened in the past. Like I said, depends entirely on who is assessing your application. To be fair, it doesn't explicitly say in the application guide for IEC you need one from your home country either, just that "you may need one"
Yes, that's true, but then once you go through myCIC there's a space for a police certificate, which shows you definitely do need one. On the link you posted, the bilateral agreement link shows that UK citizens need one from the UK.

Basically, I wouldn't mind just uploading a letter saying the FBI check is coming, but I'd rather upload that with some proof that it actually is on its way (such as an FBI receipt). However, it's likely that I won't be applying for several weeks and thus I'll only be saying I plan on getting one.

And do we have any confirmation on how much extended time they allow? I've heard it's 90 days, which would be a disaster as it's impossible to get it sent and back in that time. Wouldn't it make more sense to quietly apply and wait for them to ask?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

elkanofan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i got my CAL on Thursday but i cant open the PDF it's asking me for a password everytime i try to open it? Any help?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

Originally Posted by heyseus
Yes, that's true, but then once you go through myCIC there's a space for a police certificate, which shows you definitely do need one. On the link you posted, the bilateral agreement link shows that UK citizens need one from the UK.

Basically, I wouldn't mind just uploading a letter saying the FBI check is coming, but I'd rather upload that with some proof that it actually is on its way (such as an FBI receipt). However, it's likely that I won't be applying for several weeks and thus I'll only be saying I plan on getting one.

And do we have any confirmation on how much extended time they allow? I've heard it's 90 days, which would be a disaster as it's impossible to get it sent and back in that time. Wouldn't it make more sense to quietly apply and wait for them to ask?
I think we are in the same boat as you and Rani (?) The UK police check is quick but its another whole lot of work sourcing fingerprints and then waiting for the FBI who have huge delays. The US stay was a student visit, lasting less than a year (with trips in and out of the US to Canada). So should we send what we have got with a letter explaining the US police check is 'in the post' or do we apply without admitting and hoping they don't notice the (huge) visa in the passport. AGH
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosie n family
I think we are in the same boat as you and Rani (?) The UK police check is quick but its another whole lot of work sourcing fingerprints and then waiting for the FBI who have huge delays. The US stay was a student visit, lasting less than a year (with trips in and out of the US to Canada). So should we send what we have got with a letter explaining the US police check is 'in the post' or do we apply without admitting and hoping they don't notice the (huge) visa in the passport. AGH
That's the question. Based on my interpretation of the document linked on the previous page, the visa staff will ask for one when they see you've been in the states. I'm not convinced we have to be proactive with this. My friend is now in Canada and didn't get one done, and they didn't ask, either.

I think if you apply and tell them it's on the way, they'll give you additional time. I've also heard that people last year were in Canada before their FBI check turned up, so maybe they're not as concerned as people think.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

pilky01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I received my CAL on Thursday, so now I'm thinking: when I do get the LOI, where do I actually need to go to "activate" it? I'm already in Canada and have been for 11 months, is there somewhere in Toronto I can go? Or will I need to go to the airport like when I first arrived?

Also in regards to the $2500, would this still apply to me considering I live (and have a job) in Canada already? Could I show the customs officer a letter of employment in lieu of those funds (I mean who just has $2500 sitting in their bank account these days...).

Thanks!
Old Mar 21st 2015, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pilky01
I received my CAL on Thursday, so now I'm thinking: when I do get the LOI, where do I actually need to go to "activate" it? I'm already in Canada and have been for 11 months, is there somewhere in Toronto I can go? Or will I need to go to the airport like when I first arrived?

Also in regards to the $2500, would this still apply to me considering I live (and have a job) in Canada already? Could I show the customs officer a letter of employment in lieu of those funds (I mean who just has $2500 sitting in their bank account these days...).

Thanks!
You need to apply through CIC, a CAL is only the first part, and one of several documents you need (if you don't have your police checks yet, start them NOW).

Once you have the permit, you can activate it at any border crossing.

The finances requirement cannot be waived. That used to be an FAQ on the old site, can't immediately see the new ones, but a job is not adequate, it must be proof of 2500.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

pilky01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
You need to apply through CIC, a CAL is only the first part, and one of several documents you need (if you don't have your police checks yet, start them NOW).

Once you have the permit, you can activate it at any border crossing.

The finances requirement cannot be waived. That used to be an FAQ on the old site, can't immediately see the new ones, but a job is not adequate, it must be proof of 2500.
Thanks man.

Yeah I've got my police report ready to be uploaded, all good. I guess I'll give immigration a call and see what they have to say because to me there's zero common sense in applying a requirement to someone moving to Canada for the first time to someone who's been living/working/paying rent in Canada for almost a year. If the $2500 is to show you can support yourself during your stay then it has little relevance to my circumstances.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pilky01

Thanks!
Unless you are flying in to Toronto they won't do the new work permit at the airport. Think of going to Niagara Falls or Buffalo for the day then get the new work permit on the way back. If you don't have proof of funds and are asked for it then you might not be issued with the new work permit this also applies to medical insurance as well.
Prepare for arrival – International Experience Canada
Old Mar 21st 2015, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

ninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know how it was decided who would get their CALs first? I have a really low WTN, uploaded my documents quickly, and paid right away. Still I got nothing. Very frustrating.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

matt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ninespoons
Does anyone know how it was decided who would get their CALs first? I have a really low WTN, uploaded my documents quickly, and paid right away. Still I got nothing. Very frustrating.
I think its pretty random, I was in 1300's for wtn and I was among the first to get a cal
Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to check in and say good luck to everyone going through this process. I went through a few years ago, and it was the greatest decision I ever made! I'm actually still here!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.