IEC 2014 Instructions

Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:57 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2014 Instructions

Originally Posted by AOGT
Don't fret - I've had 11 employers in 5 years (I do agency care work) and I got accepted no problem.
Did they ask for your references? I'm a care worker as well!

Are you currently doing the same sort of work in Canada? If yes how easy was it to get?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

AOGT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Did they ask for your references? I'm a care worker as well!

Are you currently doing the same sort of work in Canada? If yes how easy was it to get?
I'm pretty sure I gave my last two employers as a reference, but I've got no idea if they were contacted. In all likelihood it would only be for confirmation of dates of employment.

In terms of support work, pretty easy, but it takes a few weeks at least to go from submitting CV to interview to starting. At least, it seems longer than in the UK. I've found plenty of work on Vancouver Craigslist. Support worker roles all look for experience and will want references, and it's a good idea to have already done food hygiene and first aid certificates (bring them with you). In fact, bring copies of all of your training certificates (things like MARS, Safeguarding, MANDT etc).

Also, when you get here it's worth getting your Canadian driving licence sorted (you can exchange your UK one for a Class 5 licence which is the standard one). BUT most care jobs want you to either have a car or be willing to study for your Class 4 licence (for their minibuses).

Honestly I've spent HOURS of my life of Craigslist since getting here and I've found my jobs, my flat, my football team, my hiking buddies and a load of useful stuff on there.

Also, be prepared to get in touch with the hospital who did your health check - you'll need proof of your clear TB test (part of the immigration medical) otherwise Canadian healthcare employers will send you for a $50 TB test at your own expense. I got mine sorted by contacting the hospital directly and they emailed me the report.

Oh, and the care system is ideologically about 15 years behind the UK. We do it better back home, and that's a horrible thing to realise when I know how poor our care services can be.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by AOGT; Dec 4th 2013 at 10:24 am. Reason: Edited due to overly-enthusiastic typing.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 10:56 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure I gave my last two employers as a reference, but I've got no idea if they were contacted. In all likelihood it would only be for confirmation of dates of employment.

In terms of support work, pretty easy, but it takes a few weeks at least to go from submitting CV to interview to starting. At least, it seems longer than in the UK. I've found plenty of work on Vancouver Craigslist. Support worker roles all look for experience and will want references, and it's a good idea to have already done food hygiene and first aid certificates (bring them with you). In fact, bring copies of all of your training certificates (things like MARS, Safeguarding, MANDT etc).

Also, when you get here it's worth getting your Canadian driving licence sorted (you can exchange your UK one for a Class 5 licence which is the standard one). BUT most care jobs want you to either have a car or be willing to study for your Class 4 licence (for their minibuses).

Honestly I've spent HOURS of my life of Craigslist since getting here and I've found my jobs, my flat, my football team, my hiking buddies and a load of useful stuff on there.

Also, be prepared to get in touch with the hospital who did your health check - you'll need proof of your clear TB test (part of the immigration medical) otherwise Canadian healthcare employers will send you for a $50 TB test at your own expense. I got mine sorted by contacting the hospital directly and they emailed me the report.

Oh, and the care system is ideologically about 15 years behind the UK. We do it better back home, and that's a horrible thing to realise when I know how poor our care services can be.

Hope that helps.
That is a fantastic help thank you !

I have been struggling to find someone on the forums in the care industry with the information.

The information about the TB report is very useful and something I was not aware of.

Wow 15 years behind times thats pretty grim!
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

That is a fantastic help thank you !

I have been struggling to find someone on the forums in the care industry with the information.

The information about the TB report is very useful and something I was not aware of.

Wow 15 years behind times thats pretty grim!
Yep - don't let it put you off though. They're only just introducing things like Person-Centred Planning and non-restrictive restraints. No idea what sector you work in, but some of the practices I've seen at the secure mental health unit where I work have really shocked me. Don't let it put you off though, the UK skills are really transferable. Oh and the wages are $16-19 p/hour, so about £12-14 p/hour.

Best idea for jobs research is to go to the Vancouver, Toronto etc Craigslist now and look at the job adverts. See what info they're looking for. Check the healthcare, government and non-profit job pages.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:44 pm
Bex in the city

Yep - don't let it put you off though. They're only just introducing things like Person-Centred Planning and non-restrictive restraints. No idea what sector you work in, but some of the practices I've seen at the secure mental health unit where I work have really shocked me. Don't let it put you off though, the UK skills are really transferable. Oh and the wages are $16-19 p/hour, so about £12-14 p/hour.

Best idea for jobs research is to go to the Vancouver, Toronto etc Craigslist now and look at the job adverts. See what info they're looking for. Check the healthcare, government and non-profit job pages.
My sector is working with children in residential but i am also a part-time youth worker. I have just completed my NVQ level 3. I have been working as youth worker for 2 years but full time as a residential assistant only 18 months (if including my PT/bank work then its 2 years).

I have just looked at job adverts for youth on craigslist (thanks for that) and noticed they use NVCI (I was trained in this restraint but have since gone over to team teach).

I saw the but about having transport, might be the main issue as I am not planning on getting a car straight away but have full license and will swap it in for BC one.

I see some jobs want education though like degrees or 'Education in Social Work or Support Work preferred' - my only related qualification is NVQ level 3, I have a degree (BA) but its not related. Are they looking for something more formal in regards to qualifications when it comes to social care?

Last edited by beckiwoo; Dec 4th 2013 at 6:48 pm. Reason: last paragraph didnt post
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My sector is working with children in residential but i am also a part-time youth worker. I have just completed my NVQ level 3. I have been working as youth worker for 2 years but full time as a residential assistant only 18 months (if including my PT/bank work then its 2 years).

I have just looked at job adverts for youth on craigslist (thanks for that) and noticed they use NVCI (I was trained in this restraint but have since gone over to team teach).

I saw the but about having transport, might be the main issue as I am not planning on getting a car straight away but have full license and will swap it in for BC one.

I see some jobs want education though like degrees or 'Education in Social Work or Support Work preferred' - my only related qualification is NVQ level 3, I have a degree (BA) but its not related. Are they looking for something more formal in regards to qualifications when it comes to social care?
You might find the working in Canada website useful for finding jobs and also what qualifications are required.

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...abs_container2

There seem to be a lot of jobs available in the Calgary and Edmonton regions.

Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:02 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You might find the working in Canada website useful for finding jobs and also what qualifications are required.

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...abs_container2

There seem to be a lot of jobs available in the Calgary and Edmonton regions.

So there is - thank you!

Unfortunately I cannot look at the list of jobs in each region as it denies me access due to my server (possibly cos I am in the UK?)

It did read in education section:

'Employment requirements are prerequisites generally needed to enter an occupation.

Completion of a college or university program in social work, child and youth care, counselling or other social science or health-related discipline is usually required.'

I'll need to check it out more. I did contact a couple of Ontario social care agencies who thought the NVQ 3 would be something they would except as it takes 6-8 months to complete.

If that fails I used to manage a coffee shop
Old Dec 5th 2013, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Your challenge will be to let them know what an NVQ level 3 is, but some jobs may ask for a degree and also experience - no harm in applying. Just make sure your references are as good as they can be - British social care seems to have a good rep (at least here in BC anyway, can't speak for anywhere else) so your experience sounds like it should be fine.

Try this site for more info (think it was referenced previously): http://www.moving2canada.com/jobs-in...obs-in-canada/ (not appearing properly as a link so I'm guessing this site blocks direct links. Search for 'Moving2Canada social care jobs' instead.

Also, there are more coffee shops in Van than anywhere else on the planet, so your back up plan definitely has legs too.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 11:38 am
Bex in the city

Your challenge will be to let them know what an NVQ level 3 is, but some jobs may ask for a degree and also experience - no harm in applying. Just make sure your references are as good as they can be - British social care seems to have a good rep (at least here in BC anyway, can't speak for anywhere else) so your experience sounds like it should be fine.

Try this site for more info (think it was referenced previously): http://www.moving2canada.com/jobs-in...obs-in-canada/ (not appearing properly as a link so I'm guessing this site blocks direct links. Search for 'Moving2Canada social care jobs' instead.

Also, there are more coffee shops in Van than anywhere else on the planet, so your back up plan definitely has legs too.
The linked worked fine thank you.

It looks more promising then I first thought and hopefully with the experience and certificates I have, something should come about.

I realise that I may need to complete training beforehand and for the duration but I am always on training for my job over here anyway. I just hope if they want a qualification the NVQ is enough as I really don't want to have to go through college route before I can start a job (happy to do it along side the job though).

I think I just need to concentrate on trying to get the visa first of all and once i have that confirmed look at what i need to do/get/update on training before I arrive. My back up plan is New Zealand so alot of what you have said about the social care sector and things that are required I would say would be similar to NZs requirements. Thanks again!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

TeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud of

Does anyone know.. If we are already in Canada what address do we use for our application?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:59 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeddiSam
Does anyone know.. If we are already in Canada what address do we use for our application?
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ience/faq.aspx
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

8. I am in Canada/in another country. May I participate to the IEC initiative without coming back to the United Kingdom?

If your usual place of residence is the United Kingdom and you are temporarily out of the country, you may apply from the country where you are. If your application is accepted, you will receive your Letter of Introduction by email. If you are already in Canada, you must exit Canada and re-enter with your Letter of Introduction in order to have your work permit issued. Re-entry may occur through any Canadian port of entry.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
8. I am in Canada/in another country. May I participate to the IEC initiative without coming back to the United Kingdom?

If your usual place of residence is the United Kingdom and you are temporarily out of the country, you may apply from the country where you are. If your application is accepted, you will receive your Letter of Introduction by email. If you are already in Canada, you must exit Canada and re-enter with your Letter of Introduction in order to have your work permit issued. Re-entry may occur through any Canadian port of entry.
2. What address should I use for my “mailing address”, “residential address” and “permanent address” on my IEC application form?

The “mailing address” is the address where you wish to receive any correspondence from International Experience Canada during or after the application process. Your mailing and residential addresses can be the same.

The “residential address” on the IEC application is the address where you are currently living. For example, if you are currently in Canada participating in the IEC and are submitting a new application, we recommend that you put your Canadian residential address in this field. The “permanent address” is the address where you live on permanent basis. This should be a U.K. address.
Please note:

I would encourage everyone to please read the instructions and FAQ's on the internationalexperiencecanada website before asking questions. Most of those that have been asked are answered on it. Please also use the search function on BE as the majority of questions have been asked and answered before - either in the IEC 2013 thread or this one.

Thank you.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 10th 2013 at 8:10 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

TeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud ofTeddiSam has much to be proud of

I apologize if the answer is on the site, i have looked but can't find it.. The passport picture.. 1. Is it basically just that 1 page with our picture and information on. and 2. Can it just be a jpeg.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:40 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

I apologize if the answer is on the site, i have looked but can't find it.. The passport picture.. 1. Is it basically just that 1 page with our picture and information on. and 2. Can it just be a jpeg.
Are you talking about the scanned copy of your passport for Stage 1? Or the passport photo you need to provide in Stage 2?

Stage 1 should be a scan of your passport main page ie picture details etc. Mine was a PDF last year, the application page tells you what formats they accept which opens tomorrow.

Stage 2 passport photo has strict requirements which can be found on the mycic page.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.