Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I need to make friends with an immigration Officer

I need to make friends with an immigration Officer

Old Oct 6th 2016, 5:54 am
Just Joined

RyanC741 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need to make friends with an immigration Officer

Hi there guys

I was wondering if anyone could help with some possible advice on my current situation, definitely a bit stressful, Why can't they just let us nice people live here!

I'm Currently working in Canada with 10 months left on IEC, I don't have enough points to qualify for express entry unfortunately

I would score high points for the BC PNP if commissioned pay was factored into the wage bracket as well as the salary but unfortunately it is not, I recently hired the help of a lawyer who mentioned that typically all we need is a job offer letter stating annual wage in total and that typically Canada does not look at past payslips? That seems a bit crazy to me, I was just wondering if you awesome guys on here have any experience with anything like this? My employer could definitely make a job offer letter but not too sure about the way to do it with this being the case? Argh!

He also mentioned it could be possible that commission is accepted in the near future has anyone else heard anything about that?

And any other options do you think? I was thinking of trying to find a border officer girlfriend but no luck yet

Thanks Guys, you have been a great help in the past
Old Oct 6th 2016, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need to make friends with an immigration Officer

First step what are you scoring on CRS?
Old Oct 6th 2016, 2:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanC741
I would score high points for the BC PNP if commissioned pay was factored into the wage bracket as well as the salary but unfortunately it is not, I recently hired the help of a lawyer who mentioned that typically all we need is a job offer letter stating annual wage in total and that typically Canada does not look at past payslips?
Payslips aren't required, because you don't even need to be working in the job to qualify under BC PNP EE SW - you need the job offer, and support from your employer, but many apply before starting work.

But you will need written confirmation of the wage, and your employment contract which will presumably mention your basic salary?

He also mentioned it could be possible that commission is accepted in the near future has anyone else heard anything about that?
Nope.

And any other options do you think? I was thinking of trying to find a border officer girlfriend but no luck yet
More info needed really - what is the job, how long have you worked in it, what is the salary?
Old Oct 6th 2016, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Payslips aren't required, because you don't even need to be working in the job to qualify under BC PNP EE SW - you need the job offer, and support from your employer, but many apply before starting work.

But you will need written confirmation of the wage, and your employment contract which will presumably mention your basic salary?

Nope.

More info needed really - what is the job, how long have you worked in it, what is the salary?

I have been working as a sales location manager for Fibre optic network installations across BC, I've been with the company for 18 months now, with 10 months left to go on my IEC (I was one of the lucky ones that got 3 years in total visas) I'm currently registered as NOC B with 65 points in the PNP pool, Salary is 35,000 but being able to count commission pay also as wage would give me an extra 50 points that should ensure I am selected.

I guess my only chance is for the job offer letter to just say "annual income" with the two numbers for commission and salary added together, I should be able to get that from my employer but it seems a little sneaky, I didn't know if that would be enough or if they may ask for payslips.

Thanks for your Responses guys, its definitely nice to get your input.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

What will you score on the CRS in 6 months when you have 2 years of Canadian experience?
Old Oct 6th 2016, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have been working as a sales location manager for Fibre optic network installations across BC, I've been with the company for 18 months now, with 10 months left to go on my IEC (I was one of the lucky ones that got 3 years in total visas) I'm currently registered as NOC B with 65 points in the PNP pool, Salary is 35,000 but being able to count commission pay also as wage would give me an extra 50 points that should ensure I am selected.

I guess my only chance is for the job offer letter to just say "annual income" with the two numbers for commission and salary added together, I should be able to get that from my employer but it seems a little sneaky, I didn't know if that would be enough or if they may ask for payslips.

Any particular reason you're only focusing on the PNP?

What do you score on the CRS, is CEC not an option? Or if your employer is prepared to go through some paperwork/hassle to keep you (as it seems they are if they're prepared to help you with the PNP app), then why not ask them to do a LMIA app so you can apply under FSW/EE?
Old Oct 6th 2016, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

I just have 310 points in the CRS so not enough to be selected So I would need to get the 600 additional points, It seemed that PNP would be the most viable option for that, I was told the LMIA may prove to be more work and hassle for my company than the PNP with the showing that Canadians are unable for the job etc, definitely not the easiest process hah!

Thanks christmasoompa
Old Oct 6th 2016, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
What will you score on the CRS in 6 months when you have 2 years of Canadian experience?
Just an extra 13 points it seems, I just have high school only education so that is where I don't score enough points really.

Is it possible I would be able to start a study program that would extend my visa and allow me to work and study at the same time if all else fails?
Old Oct 6th 2016, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I just have 310 points in the CRS so not enough to be selected So I would need to get the 600 additional points, It seemed that PNP would be the most viable option for that, I was told the LMIA may prove to be more work and hassle for my company than the PNP with the showing that Canadians are unable for the job etc, definitely not the easiest process hah!

Thanks christmasoompa
But if you don't think that you genuinely qualify for the PNP (fiddling the numbers is never good IMO - a charge of misrepresentation would mean the end of any Canadian immigration dream!), then a LMIA might be a better option just so you don't have to do anything that you might not feel is 100% legit.

Alternatively, just apply to the PNP but make sure that you tell the truth so you can't be at risk of misrep - put down your basic salary plus commission in the paperwork when you come to apply and hope that they accept it?
Old Oct 6th 2016, 4:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Is it possible I would be able to start a study program that would extend my visa and allow me to work and study at the same time if all else fails?
You can only work part-time on a study permit, so couldn't do your full-time job as well. You can though, do study courses of less than 6 months whilst on your IEC without needing a study permit so you could find something short to do, but I'm not sure it would count for CRS points purposes if it's only a short term evening class or similar.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Ok sounds good, thanks a lot for your input, I'll have to speak to my employer and figure out a plan...
Old Oct 6th 2016, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok sounds good, thanks a lot for your input, I'll have to speak to my employer and figure out a plan...
No worries. It might be fine to use your commission as well, I really don't know if only basic salaries are counted, but perhaps the forum pros might.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 5:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I guess my only chance is for the job offer letter to just say "annual income" with the two numbers for commission and salary added together
, I should be able to get that from my employer but it seems a little sneaky, I didn't know if that would be enough or if they may ask for payslips.

I wouldn't recommend it! From page 60 of the BC Provincial Nomination Express Entry pdf.
2) annual wage of the B.C. job offer

The wage is calculated on an annual basis as outlined in your job offer. Please note that you must meet program criteria specific to the wage, job offer and minimum income requirements as outlined for Skills Immigration or Express Entry BC.

For the purposes of registration scoring, a maximum of 40 hours per week will be used for the calculation of your annual wage. Regular or overtime hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week should not be entered in your registration.

Your annual wage is calculated using the following:

hourly rate x hours worked per week (maximum of 40 hours) x 52 weeks a year

In calculating your annual wage, the BC PNP will only consider regular gross annual wages. The BC PNP does not consider bonuses, commissions, profit-sharing distributions, tips/gratuities, overtime wages, housing allowances, room and board or other similar payments to be part of your wage.

Applications will not be approved where there are reasonable grounds to believe that the offered wage has been inflated or increased for the purpose of meeting BC PNP minimum income requirements or receiving a higher registration score.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 7th 2016 at 5:53 pm.