Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Months of research, still feeling clueless!!!

Months of research, still feeling clueless!!!

Old Oct 6th 2016, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

hbadamspro is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Months of research, still feeling clueless!!!

Hey everyone!

Really hoping that someone here will be able to help me out. For the past few months I have been researching how on earth I am supposed to get some kind (which kind?!?) of Visa to get myself able to live and work in Nova Scotia.
Here's my story:

For the past 5 months, I lived in Halifax, Nova Scotia as a visitor on an eTA (I got reaally quite at my POE if anyone thought it was an easy ride!). I have to stress, I never, ever worked whilst I was there! I did come across a couple of small businesses however that interested me, and I kind of shadowed them a little. I never was paid or remunerated. But one of the companies decided that they want to hire me. They're a small business, only 2 of them, and they're a media company (I would be a video editor, we film both for marketing and for TV and film, we do web design, social media marketing etc). I have no idea of the best way to get back out there to work for them. I researched into getting a Temporary Work Permit, but the LMIA seems intense and there's the potential of it being declined and they're outta money with it.

This still seems like the best route, but if anyone could recommend anything else that would be great. If not, could you please help talk me through the process etc. I know there are threads and the website that explain, but honestly, it really does not make sense to me.
I also read that as part of this permit, they would have to pay for my flights, insurance, help find accommodation etc. I don't require this, and honestly don't really want them to do that. All I want is to be able to work the job over there.

I am so clueless, and have read so much information that it's overwhelming.
If you could offer up absolutely anything I will be incredibly grateful. I am feeling very lost

Thanks so much

Hayley
Old Oct 6th 2016, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Months of research, still feeling clueless!!!

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by hbadamspro
I have to stress, I never, ever worked whilst I was there! I did come across a couple of small businesses however that interested me, and I kind of shadowed them a little. I never was paid or remunerated.
Unfortunately, despite not having been paid, it sounds like you might have worked illegally. CIC regs state that the following is defined as 'work' and therefore needs a work permit -

unpaid employment undertaken for the purpose of obtaining work experience, such as an internship or practicum normally done by a student.

This still seems like the best route, but if anyone could recommend anything else that would be great. If not, could you please help talk me through the process etc. I know there are threads and the website that explain, but honestly, it really does not make sense to me.
It's one route, but how old are you? Sorry for the personal question, but it's just that if you're aged 30 or under then there is a MUCH easier option open to you.

If not, then you either need to do the LMIA/TWP route as you've suggested, or to see if you qualify for Permanent Residency without a job offer. If you do qualify for PR, then you could apply for that now and then in about 8 months time (roughly) you'd be able to move and work for anybody in Canada.

But if you can give us a bit more info about yourself (age, education level, previous employment, amount of funds etc), then we can hopefully suggest a visa route. My only concern is that your previous working (if it was indeed illegal as it seems) may be an issue, but fingers crossed it won't be.

I also read that as part of this permit, they would have to pay for my flights, insurance, help find accommodation etc. I don't require this, and honestly don't really want them to do that. All I want is to be able to work the job over there.
Nope. They don't need to do any of that, they just need to provide you with the LMIA, and to repatriate you if they lay you off. There's no requirement for the company to pay for accommodation, insurance etc at all.

HTH a bit, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 6th 2016 at 6:28 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Oh my gosh, I had absolutely no idea!! I feel awful about that. I had no intention of doing it when I went there, and clearly my research for this short period was not thorough enough. Hopefully it won't impact this, although I hate that this would have been illegal.

I am 22. I looked into applying for permanent residency, but as I haven't taken my IELTS (do I have to sit an IELTS exam even though I have a-levels??) I researched other peoples scores and estimated, and I only reached 410 points.

A bit more information on me: I'm 22, I graduated University this summer with a First Class degree. My previous employment is all very ad-hoc, bits here, bits there, nothing too regular in terms of being employed by somebody, and a lot of the work I have done has been self-employed. As for amount of funds, I notice that you need $2500, so I would expect to have around £2000 for when I was getting there to pay rent, bills etc. However, I do know that it really depends on each visa, and so I would be sure to save up enough once I know what is required for each visa.

Aahh, I thought I saw about the paying for flights etc on the CIC website for employers getting a LMIA - in the area where it said the job would have to be posted for 3 months before applying for an LMIA. It's all so ambiguous and frustrating!

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 6:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh, I had absolutely no idea!! I feel awful about that. I had no intention of doing it when I went there, and clearly my research for this short period was not thorough enough. Hopefully it won't impact this, although I hate that this would have been illegal.
Hopefully not, although you'll need to be VERY careful about how you do any visa application. You can't lie (potential misrepresentation charge would mean not being able to move at all, and even PR being revoked down the line if caught), but you'll need to make sure you don't drop yourself right in it! And if, just as an example, there is any info about your interning at the company on the internet () you need to be extra careful as CIC *could* find out that way.

I am 22. I looked into applying for permanent residency, but as I haven't taken my IELTS (do I have to sit an IELTS exam even though I have a-levels??) I researched other peoples scores and estimated, and I only reached 410 points.
Yes, you do have to take IELTS, everybody does.

BUT - you're 22, hurrah! That means you have the quickest and easiest visa option available to you. There is a visa program called the IEC, and it's for people aged 30 and under. It would give you an open work permit for 2 years, so you can work for anybody on it, no job offer or LMIA required. The program for this year has closed (only a certain number of visas available each year), but 2017's will be opening shortly so you can apply for that.

It's not guaranteed, as everybody that enters is put in to a pool of applicants, and then randomly selected, but you've got a really good chance particularly if you apply as soon as it opens. So hopefully you can be out there next year with a lovely 2 year work permit.

Aahh, I thought I saw about the paying for flights etc on the CIC website for employers getting a LMIA - in the area where it said the job would have to be posted for 3 months before applying for an LMIA. It's all so ambiguous and frustrating!
Yes, that's the repatriation bit - if you're on a 'normal' TWP the employer is supposed to be responsible for returning you to the UK if you are made redundant. But there's no mention of insurance or accommodation?

None of that is required for the IEC though.

HTH a bit, good luck!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Hahah, totally going to remove this thread soon, sorry for anyone else it may help!!

Aahh so I've seen this IEC before many time, and I always get put into the Working Holiday category. It's something I have looked at numerous times. When doing the "find out if you're eligible" test, it asks whether I would have a letter from an organisation (such as SWAP Working Holidays and GO International) helping me find work/travel. I always select no, because I do not plan on doing this.

It also asks if I have an offer/contract of employment from an employer. I always assumed it would require an LMIA from employers, but it doesn't??

At the end of the test, it says I'm not eligible for IEC and then it says: "You are also eligible for the following pools which are now closed: Working Holiday category."
So if I was to do this test, when the pools were open, I would be able to follow through with this?

Sorry this is long, I guess my main questions are:
Is it an issue that I don't want to go through an organisation to get work?
When asked if I have an offer of employment, that DOESN'T require an LMIA?
If I was to redo this test when the Working Holiday pool opened, would I be able to continue the application?
How will I know when this pool has opened?

Thanks you so, so much!!!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hahah, totally going to remove this thread soon, sorry for anyone else it may help!!
You can't I'm afraid, but tbh I wouldn't worry about this thread. What I mean was a quick Google took me to loads of other stuff about you being an intern at the companies in question. So all you can do is answer every question on a any visa application (or put to you by a CBSA officer) honestly, and tell the truth if it comes up - that you had no idea that you needed a work permit to do it. And hope that the visa officer doesn't have Google skills!

Sorry this is long, I guess my main questions are:
Is it an issue that I don't want to go through an organisation to get work?
When asked if I have an offer of employment, that DOESN'T require an LMIA?
If I was to redo this test when the Working Holiday pool opened, would I be able to continue the application?
How will I know when this pool has opened?
- Nope
- You don't even need an offer of employment. No job offer or LMIA required to get an IEC, it's an open work permit, so (as the name implies) you are open to work for anybody.
- Yep
- Keep an eye on the CIC/IEC website, and/or the IEC thread on this forum as somebody always posts the minute it is announced!

HTH, best of luck.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Oh my goodness! That's worrying actually, not even just from an immigration purpose, just about how easy it is to find people online! Crazy. But it's good to know, thanks so much.

Aaah you have made my life so much easier, I cannot thank you enough!!
Do you reckon if, when I was out there, it might be worth after, after a year or so, applying for a work visa, or going straight for PR? I guess PR might take a few years?
Old Oct 7th 2016, 5:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness! That's worrying actually, not even just from an immigration purpose, just about how easy it is to find people online! Crazy. But it's good to know, thanks so much.

Aaah you have made my life so much easier, I cannot thank you enough!!
Do you reckon if, when I was out there, it might be worth after, after a year or so, applying for a work visa, or going straight for PR? I guess PR might take a few years?
Once you've worked for a year (provided it's a skilled job) you would be able to apply for PR under the Canadian Experience Class route - more good news! You could also look into NS Provincial Nomination - http://novascotiaimmigration.com/mov...killed-worker/ and/or http://novascotiaimmigration.com/mov...express-entry/

I did a 'fake' IEC application to ascertain what you need to put down in order to be invited to apply - you can find it here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11910604 - it's a working holiday 2 year work permit, by the way.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 7th 2016 at 6:03 am.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 9:58 am
Just Joined

That's great news!
And I just checked on the website, I would definitely fit into the A category, and possibly 0, but at least there's A. And the Provincial Nomination looks good too, however it says I need a high school diploma? But obviously I didn't go to a Canadian school. Would this equivalent be GCSE's?

Aahh that's almost the exact same answers as mine, except I have a job offer. Thanks so much Siouxe! I can't thank either of you enough, the CIC website is so overwhelming, I am glad to have found this forum! Thank you!!
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's great news!
And I just checked on the website, I would definitely fit into the A category, and possibly 0, but at least there's A. And the Provincial Nomination looks good too, however it says I need a high school diploma? But obviously I didn't go to a Canadian school. Would this equivalent be GCSE's?

Aahh that's almost the exact same answers as mine, except I have a job offer. Thanks so much Siouxe! I can't thank either of you enough, the CIC website is so overwhelming, I am glad to have found this forum! Thank you!!
You can always take the GED Grade 12 equivalency test and each Province has testing centres.
Here is info on the Ontario one
GED Certificate | ILC.org
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

That's great news!

North American high school is usually held to be equivalent to A level standard in the UK (i.e. formal education to 18/19 years of age).

As a heads up if you don't have a degree you may struggle with CRS points even with a year or Canadian work experience (you still need to have between 450 and 480). You may well still need an LMIA or PNP in the future to stay.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Nice one, thanks!!
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks @Engineer_abroad! Luckily I have my degree already. Do you they the grade into account at any point? Graduated with a First Class, so I would love to hope that it may give me a few more brownie points haha
Without the year of experience, I reached 410 points. How many do you think I may receive with the experience, or could it be absolutely anything?
Old Oct 7th 2016, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks @Engineer_abroad! Luckily I have my degree already. Do you they the grade into account at any point? Graduated with a First Class, so I would love to hope that it may give me a few more brownie points haha
Without the year of experience, I reached 410 points. How many do you think I may receive with the experience, or could it be absolutely anything?
If you have a degree it doesn't matter that you don't have a high school diploma as your degree is higher than.

The grading of your degree doesn't matter when it comes to scores, a bachelors is a bachelors and a masters is a a masters I'm afraid.

You can check what you would score with a years experience using the CRS calculator Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) - tool

I ran a very quick one for you (based on max IELTS scores, 23 years old at application, single, bachelors degree, 1 year Canadian experience and 3 years+ foreign skilled work experience) and got 494.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 5:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Plus if you did go the Provincial Nomination route, that would automatically give you an additional 600 points.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.