Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I have a cunning plan ... but will it work?

I have a cunning plan ... but will it work?

Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:19 pm
Mr McGoo

Location: Wiltshire, Switzerland, Reading, Snug Cove BC - all in one year!
mrmcgoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have a cunning plan ... but will it work?

I applied for Skilled Immigration in March 2005 and I'm patiently sitting out the 2 year wait. But an opportunity has come my way that I think I can use to sit out a year of that wait in Canada.

I'm interested in anyones thoughts on whether this is feasible or not!

I've been offered effectively a full time contract for a UK company (I've worked for this company on and off for over 10 years now). And it's specifically to work from home. It's an IT development job so working over the internet is not an issue, I've already done loads of work for them that way. They are aware of my desire to come to Canada and I don't think they will have a problem with my plan (I'm already 100 miles away so a few thousand more won't hurt ).

The plan is to come to Canada in June with my family as visitors, which gives us 6 months, which can be extended (but I'm not sure how accommodating Canada is on that score). We will rent a property, get student permits so the kids can go to school in Canada. Hopefully, we will be allowed to stay long enough on this basis until our immigration visa is sorted.

I could speed up the immigration by getting a job in Canada - but to get UK IT contract rates in a country where the cost of living is much less is very appealing.

I'm aware we'll have to come back for medicals and interviews.

Can anyone see any snags or pitfuls?
Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: I have a cunning plan ... but will it work?

Originally Posted by mrmcgoo
I applied for Skilled Immigration in March 2005 and I'm patiently sitting out the 2 year wait. But an opportunity has come my way that I think I can use to sit out a year of that wait in Canada.

I've been offered effectively a full time contract for a UK company (I've worked for this company on and off for over 10 years now). And it's specifically to work from home. It's an IT development job so working over the internet is not an issue, I've already done loads of work for them that way. They are aware of my desire to come to Canada and I don't think they will have a problem with my plan (I'm already 100 miles away so a few thousand more won't hurt ).

The plan is to come to Canada in June with my family as visitors, which gives us 6 months, which can be extended (but I'm not sure how accommodating Canada is on that score). We will rent a property, get student permits so the kids can go to school in Canada. Hopefully, we will be allowed to stay long enough on this basis until our immigration visa is sorted.

I could speed up the immigration by getting a job in Canada - but to get UK IT contract rates in a country where the cost of living is much less is very appealing.

You can work in Canada, if your employer is in another country.
And your salary goes into you other country account first before being moved to your Canadian account.
You would need to check out the immigration sight for exact visa procedure.
One could leave the application you have going at present as still live.
The file number you have for that is the one you use when you file any other types of applications.
Your kids education?
You will have to check that one out.

If this company wants a few meetings where your presence is required, won`t you spend a fortune in commutin`?
Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:58 pm
Mr McGoo

Thanks for the reply Steve, in terms of the company, my on-site costs are already high that they already avoid needing me in person! Anyway we have video conferencing! Although it will be unsociable working hours!

My real area of uncertainty is being able to extend my stay from 6 months to 12. As a Brit I don't need an initial visitors visa but beyond that I'm not sure.

I've trawled the CIC site and can't find conclusive details which would cover my situation.

Cheers
Chris

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
You can work in Canada, if your employer is in another country.
And your salary goes into you other country account first before being moved to your Canadian account.
You would need to check out the immigration sight for exact visa procedure.
One could leave the application you have going at present as still live.
The file number you have for that is the one you use when you file any other types of applications.
Your kids education?
You will have to check that one out.

If this company wants a few meetings where your presence is required, won`t you spend a fortune in commutin`?
Old Sep 26th 2005, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

We will rent a property, get student permits so the kids can go to school in Canada. Hopefully, we will be allowed to stay long enough on this basis until our immigration visa is sorted.
One nasty financial snag. Since you will be "non resident" (i.e. not paying Canadian taxes), your kids would be classified as overseas students, even with a study permit. Most municipalities will then charge you at least $10,000 per year per child in tuition fees.

Last edited by Posidrive; Sep 26th 2005 at 9:35 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:56 pm
Mr McGoo

Ooh! Thanks for that Posidrive - I thought the study permit seemed cheap. My kids are 6 and 9, is it any cheaper at elementary school?
Anyone know how much in BC?

Originally Posted by Posidrive
One nasty financial snag. Since you will be "non resident" (i.e. not paying Canadian taxes), your kids would be classified as overseas students, even with a study permit. Most municipalities will then charge you at least $10,000 per year per child in tuition fees.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh! Thanks for that Posidrive - I thought the study permit seemed cheap. My kids are 6 and 9, is it any cheaper at elementary school?
Anyone know how much in BC?
My son is 10 so same grade. I only found about these figures when there was some initial confusion about what fees are payable when you are here on a work permit as opposed to being a PR. Fortunately Calgary and the surrounding district of Rocky view took the sensible approach. I've heard that some areas (Ontario??) will charge these sort of rates to those on a work permit as well which would really stink since you are then paying Canadian taxes. Can't confirm that this latter point is any more than a rumour though.

It is possible that education in some private (public to we British) schools could actually be cheaper. Again not confirmed.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:24 pm
Mr McGoo

Thanks, I'll have to do some more digging on that one but it's not insurmountable (but I'm now glad I've only got 2 kids ).

My plan is still looking like a good one, just more expensive now!

Cheers
Chris

My son is 10 so same grade. I only found about these figures when there was some initial confusion about what fees are payable when you are here on a work permit as opposed to being a PR. Fortunately Calgary and the surrounding district of Rocky view took the sensible approach. I've heard that some areas (Ontario??) will charge these sort of rates to those on a work permit as well which would really stink since you are then paying Canadian taxes. Can't confirm that this latter point is any more than a rumour though.

It is possible that education in some private (public to we British) schools could actually be cheaper. Again not confirmed.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

hankim2 is an unknown quantity at this point

For one, kids will have to pay international rate for schoold fees which could be pretty steep.

Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:33 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the kids in England!!
I'm in a similar situation but I'll be working from home for a UK company whilst a perminant resident. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

So there are exceptions to practice ie Calgary and surrounding district of Rocky will charge domestic school fees for kids whose parents are on work permit visa. Will that apply for parents on study permit ?

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 6:09 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hankim2
So there are exceptions to practice ie Calgary and surrounding district of Rocky will charge domestic school fees for kids whose parents are on work permit visa. Will that apply for parents on study permit ?
I don't know about Rocky View. As far as the Calgary Board of Education is concerned, the way I read its web site, it does not charge the international student fee to the minor child of a "lawfully admitted permanent or temporary resident."

However, if the parent is in Canada on a study permit, then the parent most likely is paying more for his/her tuition than a Canadian citizen or permanent resident would pay.

Let's say the parent who is in Canada on a study permit is studying at the University of Calgary, for example. The tuition that U of C charges foreign students is considerably higher than the tuition it charges citizens and PRs.

So, while the minor child of a study permit holder does not pay international student tuition in Calgary (as far as I know), the adult student permit holder does pay the international student tuition rate at any institution at which that's applicable.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

thanks Judy for the info. Well at least it is cheaper than also having kids pay international rate.

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I don't know about Rocky View. As far as the Calgary Board of Education is concerned, the way I read its web site, it does not charge the international student fee to the minor child of a "lawfully admitted permanent or temporary resident."

However, if the parent is in Canada on a study permit, then the parent most likely is paying more for his/her tuition than a Canadian citizen or permanent resident would pay.

Let's say the parent who is in Canada on a study permit is studying at the University of Calgary, for example. The tuition that U of C charges foreign students is considerably higher than the tuition it charges citizens and PRs.

So, while the minor child of a study permit holder does not pay international student tuition in Calgary (as far as I know), the adult student permit holder does pay the international student tuition rate at any institution at which that's applicable.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Judy

I was checking the Calgary Board of Edu website and could not locate the section which states... does not charge the international student fee to the minor child of a "lawfully admitted permanent or temporary resident." Could you kindly let me know under which section?

Thanks very much

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

MartinTheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately (and I know this because yours was my original plan) I believe it is illegal as you are working "IN" Canada whilst being on visitor status.

If you are under 35 and a university graduate you could apply for a BUNAC Work Canada temporary one year visa. That's what I did.

I hope this helps.

M.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:05 am
Just Joined

MartinTheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinTheBrit
Unfortunately (and I know this because yours was my original plan) I believe it is illegal as you are working "IN" Canada whilst being on visitor status.

M.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257302 has details.

Regards, M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.