Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I have a cunning plan ... but will it work?

I have a cunning plan ... but will it work?

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:59 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have a cunning plan ... but will it work?

Originally Posted by hankim2
I was checking the Calgary Board of Edu website and could not locate the section which states... does not charge the international student fee to the minor child of a "lawfully admitted permanent or temporary resident." Could you kindly let me know under which section?
I inferred that from the layout of the CBE's web site.

Here is the International Student Application Form. When you read that form and the section of the web site that is devoted to international students, it is obvious that an international student is one who comes to Canada without any parent at all or, if he/she comes with a parent, the parent does not have a permit to work or study in Canada. In the case of an international student who is enrolling with CBE and who is under 18 years of age, CBE helps to arrange a homestay. Both the student and his/her custodian make certain commitments.

Here is the Student Registration Form for regular (not international) students. This is the form that all newly arrived, regular students complete, whether they've come to Calgary from another town, another province or another country. Under student's name, address and phone number, the form asks about citizenship. If the student is not a Canadian citizen, he/she has to tick the box that indicates if he/she is a permanent resident, the child of a Canadian citizen, or the child of a lawfully admitted permanent or temporary resident.

It seems to me from the layout of this form that the child of a lawfully admitted permanent or temporary resident is treated the same as the child of a Canadian citizen, a child who is a permanent resident or, indeed, a child who him/herself is a Canadian citizen, as all those categories of prospective students complete the same application form. That application form, in turn, is very different from the one that international (usually unaccompanied) students complete.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:34 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hankim2
I was checking the Calgary Board of Edu website and could not locate the section which states... does not charge the international student fee to the minor child of a "lawfully admitted permanent or temporary resident." Could you kindly let me know under which section?
I phoned the admissions office of the Calgary Board of Education. Linda, the woman who answered the phoned, said that the minor child of a study permit holder was treated like a local child provided that the study permit holder was studying towards a degree and provided that the child would be enrolled with CBE for a minimum of one full year.

In order to register the child, the parent needs to provide the following documentation:

Hope that helps.
            Old Oct 4th 2005, 12:45 am
            Forum Regular

hankim2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Judy

Thanks and much appreciation for your generous sharing. That's extremely good news for me. And it's straight from the horse's mouth.

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
            I phoned the admissions office of the Calgary Board of Education. Linda, the woman who answered the phoned, said that the minor child of a study permit holder was treated like a local child provided that the study permit holder was studying towards a degree and provided that the child would be enrolled with CBE for a minimum of one full year.

In order to register the child, the parent needs to provide the following documentation:

Hope that helps.
                      Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:42 pm
                      Mr McGoo

Location: Wiltshire, Switzerland, Reading, Snug Cove BC - all in one year!
                      mrmcgoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Martin,
                      Thanks for the reply.

I have done more checks with some immigration consultants and with Canada News. I don't know if your plan was identical to my, but this is what I have been told. My work is done completely via the internet.

Because I am working from "home" for an entirely UK based company paying UK taxes, I am not actually working "IN" Canada. My job is still technically in the UK albeit via a phone line and I'm still officially a UK resident. I have been told this by two seperate immigration consultants, one in Canada and one in UK.

Ultimately I am not depriving a Canadian of a job, which is the crux of the matter as far as CIC are concerned. In fact I would be bringing foreign currency into Canada without being able to use any state benefits, i.e. health and, apparently, schooling, so Canada would profit from the situation, which is, after all what they are assessing you on for immigration.

Regards
                      Chris.

Originally Posted by MartinTheBrit
                      Unfortunately (and I know this because yours was my original plan) I believe it is illegal as you are working "IN" Canada whilst being on visitor status.

If you are under 35 and a university graduate you could apply for a BUNAC Work Canada temporary one year visa. That's what I did.

I hope this helps.

M.
                      Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:56 pm
                      Mr McGoo

Martin,
                      I've just read the thread you included which was very helpful. I do fall into the category in your quote, this differs from your situation in that you were ultimately trying to work for a Canadian company, therefore affecting the Canadian labour market. I will not be, so fingers crossed!

Now all I need to do is sort out an upfront visa to allow me to visit for 12 months and my kids schooling.

Chris

Originally Posted by MartinTheBrit
                      Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:10 pm
                      Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

Originally Posted by mrmcgoo
                      Now all I need to do is sort out an upfront visa to allow me to visit for 12 months and my kids schooling.

Chris
                      No such creature, unless you get a study permit. Visitors visa is valid for 6 month and can be extended upon acceptable request to CIC (process listed at CIC site).

Good luck,

Rich.
                      Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:21 pm
                      Mr McGoo

Rich, I'm talking about the "multiple entry temporary residents visa", an immigration consultant said you can get an 18 month one, apparently!

Chris

Originally Posted by Rich_007
                      Chris,

No such creature, unless you get a study permit. Visitors visa is valid for 6 month and can be extended upon acceptable request to CIC (process listed at CIC site).

Good luck,

Rich.
                      Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:09 am
                      Just Joined

RupesMandy is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard some horror stories about people without work visas who did some work (even voluntary work as this was deemed to be denying the Canadians the opportunity for the experience) whether they were paid in CDN$ or not or worked for a Cdn business or not, being deported and barred for several years.

Just be really squeaky clean about whether you can or can't work there before you even log on your PC for money. These may be apocryphal stories but they do indicate that the Canadians aren't really up for bending rules etc.

All the best though, maybe see you in BC soon.

Regards
                      Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:56 am
                      Mr McGoo

Thanks for the warning. I won't be taking risks, especially not worth it with two young kids. I plan on visiting the High Commission in London for a definitive answer. But to re-iterate if you are not affecting the Canadian labour market, your not breaching any laws. Having said that, it doesn't mean I'll be able to get a visitors visa for twelve months.

Regards
                      Chris

Originally Posted by RupesMandy
                      I heard some horror stories about people without work visas who did some work (even voluntary work as this was deemed to be denying the Canadians the opportunity for the experience) whether they were paid in CDN$ or not or worked for a Cdn business or not, being deported and barred for several years.

Just be really squeaky clean about whether you can or can't work there before you even log on your PC for money. These may be apocryphal stories but they do indicate that the Canadians aren't really up for bending rules etc.

All the best though, maybe see you in BC soon.

Regards
                      Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:12 am
                      Just Joined

I hate to sound like a doomsayer, normally I'm very positive. That said, I heard (so I can't vouch for it's accuracy) of an example of someone who was on holiday in Alberta, logged on to his a friend's business' server in the US, performed some routine maint (as he had done every month for months before) and was paid US$ into a US account for his services. When the Cdn govt found out that he was physically in Canada at the time (which is where it begins to sound flaky, how did they find out??? I really don't know) he was banned form reentering Canada for something like 3 years.

I really hope that this is melodramatic and non-sense when you check it out with the High Commission but I know how lax we are in this country with rules and they absolutely aren't in Canada.

Good luck nevertheless.

Best wishes

Rupes

Thanks for the warning. I won't be taking risks, especially not worth it with two young kids. I plan on visiting the High Commission in London for a definitive answer. But to re-iterate if you are not affecting the Canadian labour market, your not breaching any laws. Having said that, it doesn't mean I'll be able to get a visitors visa for twelve months.

Regards
                      Chris
                      Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:01 am
                      Mr McGoo

Oooh that sounds a bit harsh. But I will check it out officially before I do anything. If I'm very very lucky my PR application would be completed before the default 6 months visitor visa is up anyway. My plan is to go to Canada in June or July 2006.

Cheers
                      Chris

AOR Jan 02
                      Points change Jun 02
                      Rejected Dec 02 .. lovely christmas present CIC, thanks!

AOR Mar 05

Originally Posted by RupesMandy
                      I hate to sound like a doomsayer, normally I'm very positive. That said, I heard (so I can't vouch for it's accuracy) of an example of someone who was on holiday in Alberta, logged on to his a friend's business' server in the US, performed some routine maint (as he had done every month for months before) and was paid US$ into a US account for his services. When the Cdn govt found out that he was physically in Canada at the time (which is where it begins to sound flaky, how did they find out??? I really don't know) he was banned form reentering Canada for something like 3 years.

I really hope that this is melodramatic and non-sense when you check it out with the High Commission but I know how lax we are in this country with rules and they absolutely aren't in Canada.

Good luck nevertheless.

Best wishes

Rupes
                      Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:14 am
                      Just Joined

Good luck with that.. I know how you feel about wanting to get on with it.

Regards

Oooh that sounds a bit harsh. But I will check it out officially before I do anything. If I'm very very lucky my PR application would be completed before the default 6 months visitor visa is up anyway. My plan is to go to Canada in June or July 2006.

Cheers
                      Chris

AOR Jan 02
                      Points change Jun 02
                      Rejected Dec 02 .. lovely christmas present CIC, thanks!

AOR Mar 05