Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How would a law get implemented (C-11)

How would a law get implemented (C-11)

Old Jun 10th 2001, 5:24 am
Meson

Hi,

I would appreciate if someone could elaborate. In case C-11 gets approved, how would
it be implemented, specifically, in case of Returning Residents.

I landed in Feb and had to return to my home country due to family problems. My 183
days will end in August. Supposing the bill becomes law before August, will I still
be required to enter Canada within my 183 days or would the new rules become
effective so that I will have to maintain residency for 2 yrs in a 5 yr period and
can extend my stay out of Canada beyond 183 days?

Also, will I be required to contact any Canadian consulate/office for my case?

Thank you and regards,

Old Jun 10th 2001, 5:50 am
Andrew Miller

Bill C-11 will not become the law before August 2001, you can take it to the bank. It
has to go through the vote in House of Commons first, then through all stages of
approval in the Senate and after that wait for Royal Assent. It is still
theoretically possible, although realistically unlikely that Bill will pass the final
vote in the House and all stages in the Senate before the summer break, and even if
it would get Royal Assent before summer then the date of it becoming a law will be at
least few months down the road, so don't count on it. At best Bill C-11 will be
approved sometimes in late fall or winter this year and will be in force sometimes
next year.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 10th 2001, 12:27 pm
The Wizzard

Would you recomend delaying any applications?

i see that sugestions in bill c-11 such as making the sponsor time for spouses
shorter and also the idea of removing the medical criteria for spousal applications
etc whcih are of course good developments for me as a spousal applicant. I am getting
married in August this year and then wish to start the process. I dont intend on
landing ( assuming everything goes right ) until next summer as i have one more year
at university to do and will have to wait till after i graduate etc and sort out my
affairs here. So that gives a good period of time, and it seems from reading here
that applications from UK citizens like myself, for spousal family class PR applying
to London , are normally quite efficient. Would it be in my intrests to wait for the
new law to take advantage of the new developments in it, or is this unessecary? Will
it be the law at the time i apply that stands , or the law when they issue, or will
it change when the law changes anyway?

Drew

--
Posted from rhenium.btinternet.com [194.73.73.93] via Mailgate.ORG Server -
http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Jun 10th 2001, 3:00 pm
Andrew Miller

If you are planning to move to Canada in the summer of 2002 then you should start the
process after the wedding. You will have 12 months from medicals to land, so it is
plenty of time.

As for the new law - applications are being processed under the law and regulations
in force at the time when application is logged in. But processing officers have the
discretion to apply newer law if such changes during the process if it will be
beneficial to the applicant.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >
spouses shorter and also the idea of removing the medical criteria for spousal
applications etc whcih are of course good developments for me as a spousal applicant.
    >
I dont intend on landing ( assuming everything goes right ) until next summer as i
have one more year at university to do and will have to wait till after i graduate
etc and sort out my affairs here. So that gives a good period of time, and it seems
from reading here that applications from UK citizens like myself, for spousal family
class PR applying to London , are normally quite efficient.
    >
new developments in it, or is this unessecary?
    >
issue, or will it change when the law changes anyway?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >