How to visit without landing?

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Xyzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to visit without landing?

I have the immigrant visa in my passport but will need to visit Canada on business before actually landing. (Because I will travel a LOT even after moving to Canada I don't want to start the five-year clock earlier than I have to.) Since I'm a US citizen and don't need a visa to visit Canada at all, my understanding is that I can visit Canada without landing even with the visa in my passport. If that's not correct, and I'll be forced to land on arrival, someone please correct me.

My main question is, is there a best way to enter to make sure that I don't trigger the landing process? Because I'm a US citizen entering from the US, I don't need to show a passport at all--I can enter on a driver's licence and birth certificate. Also, I can arrange to either fly in or drive across the border. Is there one of the four combinations (fly vs. drive and passport vs. no passport) that's more advisable than the others? Or is there just no problem at all and I should just use my passport, fly in, and not worry?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all
Default Re: How to visit without landing?

I an also a US citizen and entered twice without landing after I got my visa before I actually landed. It was no problem, I just told them at the border I was coming as a visitor and wasn't landing yet. I still used by passport too.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sysclp
I an also a US citizen and entered twice without landing after I got my visa before I actually landed. It was no problem, I just told them at the border I was coming as a visitor and wasn't landing yet. I still used by passport too.
Did you enter by car both times? Just curious.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Did you enter by car both times? Just curious.
I flew in to Buffalo and drove up in a rented car once and flew direct into Toronto the other time. Driving from Alabama to Toronto was a bit too far other than when I actually moved. :-)
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! Then unless the policy has changed I can drive or fly, use the passport, and have no problems. That puts my mind at ease.