Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

how to prove a large sum of money is a gift?

how to prove a large sum of money is a gift?

Old Dec 19th 2018, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of
Default how to prove a large sum of money is a gift?

Hi! We're going through the process of applying for ee and my partners parents are giving us £5000 as a gift to help us on our way. My question is, how to we prove to immigration that this money is a gift and not a loan?
Old Dec 19th 2018, 12:52 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to prove a large sum of money is a gift?

Most recommend getting a solicitor to make out a Deed of Gift or getting your parents to write a letter confirming it is an unencumbered gift with no expectation of repayment, which you can then get notarised.

The latter is what we did although I hesitate to wholeheartedly endorse it because our application is still processing so I have no idea yet whether it worked.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 4:09 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see there being an issue if the notary public solicitor has stamped it. They maybe checking the solicitor out but that would be an easy process via the Law society.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 4:11 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G0ldie
I can't see there being an issue if the notary public solicitor has stamped it. They maybe checking the solicitor out but that would be an easy process via the Law society.
That was my thinking as well. I included the letter in the 'additional docs' section and also an explanatory note with a link to the Notary Public's website.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 9:39 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

I get the feeling in your case (crofty82) that they probably need higher authorisation within the IRCC to make sure that they can go ahead with the details as given. I've known of issues with money and people trying to move to Canada in the past as to the source of the income.

A good friend of my father's was denied his application as he could not explain the funds he got from the sale of a property. Quite a simple thing really but maybe he was not telling me the whole truth!

I think they are just looking through the details and should rubber stamp it soon.