Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How much is Income Tax in Canada and Ontario

How much is Income Tax in Canada and Ontario

Old Sep 5th 2001, 6:30 pm
Serguei Patchkovskii

Translation: in Ontario, it's bundled into your provincial
    >
    >

Of course, "token" is in the eye of the beholder - $816 a year, which I pay in
Alberta health care premiums, do increase my overall tax load non-negligibly.

/Serge.P

---
Home page: http://www.cobalt.chem.ucalgary.ca/ps/

Old Sep 6th 2001, 1:43 am
Ken Milstead

As I recall, Gary lives in the Chicago area. Compared to the $ 6,000 - 12,000 US that
he or his employer likely pays for his health insurance coverage there, $ 800 CDN per
year *IS* a "token premium"!

Serguei Patchkovskii wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 6th 2001, 5:36 am
Gary L. Dare

As I recall, Gary lives in the Chicago area. Compared to the $ 6,000 -
    >
    >

Since relative costs should be viewed in local dollars
(e.g., a C$900 apartment in Toronto costs US$950 here), US$816 a year in Chicago for
a single is pretty paltry as far as health premiums go!

"Take Runzheimer's case stucy of a Torontonian earning $60,000 (Canadian) a year
and moving to Chicago. His employer would have to give him an extra $6,000 a year
just to keep his cost of living on par with Toronto's." (Globe & Mail, Monday,
August 16, 1999)

From personal experience, C$60,000 Toronto, US$66,000 Chicago and US$100,000 New York
City/Manhattan like the online calculators say is pretty spot on ... (-;

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

"Je me souviens"

Old Sep 8th 2001, 12:48 am
Ken Milstead

"Gary L. Dare" wrote:

>
    >

....like the fact that you can be turned down for health coverage based on....well,
poor health.

I was surprised recently when my wife looked into a job at a fairly large university
that even THEIR coverage (much of which is through their own hospital and physician
group) can be limited based on health. They don't cover staff or dependents for a
list of chronic diseases for the first year of employment (e.g. diabetes, heart
disease, etc.) if these conditions are pre-existing.

... and the fact that you often have huge deductibles before the policies pay
anything.

My mother (retired) just had her deductible raised to $ 450 US per year....after
that, they pay 80% and she pays 20%. Imagine what a $ 10,000 US hospitalization (just
a few days with current medical costs) can do to someone on a fixed income. That $
2,000 bill (PLUS the misc. items that insurance doesn't pay for) is over a YEAR's
discretionary income for most seniors.

... and then they always seem to leave the ridiculously high US Social Security taxes
from those US-Canada tax comparisons that they put in the Canadian press.

Ken Milstead

Old Sep 8th 2001, 12:58 am
Ken Milstead

Serguei Patchkovskii wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

This is the case in most US health plans as well. You *DO* need to investigate what
is/is not covered by a plan (whether govt-sponsored or not).

What I REALLY don't understand about the US private plans is the fact that many plans
charge a fee to patients who show up in the emergency room if they aren't admitted as
inpatients as a result of the visit. Basically, you are being charged a fee AFTER the
fact....they have the benefit of knowing how the problem was diagnosed....something
that the patient has no knowledge of when they head to the ER.

Many HMOs have a similar policy when members are away from their home area. Medical
care that is not judged by the HMO to be "life threatening" will in many cases not be
covered. The real problem is that this decision is -- again -- made after the
fact...with the HMO having knowledge of the medical findings made at the
"non-essential" visit -- knowledge that the patient doesn't have when they head to
the out-of-town doc or ER.

Ambulance rides are also not covered by many US plans....as a family member found out
when they received a $ 500 US bill for a ride a few years ago.

Ken Milstead

Old Sep 8th 2001, 5:37 am
Gary L. Dare

"Gary L. Dare" wrote:

>
    >

>
    >

>
    >

$450 is pretty good for supplementary insurance to Medicare for Seniors. Most
professionals are in plans with $1000 - $2000 deductibles. And of the 80% the
insurance pays, that is 80% up to "reasonable and customary charges". I've not had to
foot any less than 25% for any services that I have used, like dentists.

>
    >

Never mind that, they usually only cite the US federal income tax ONLY ... no state
and (sometimes) city income taxes, nevermind federal FICA payroll taxes for Social
Security and Medicare (see my Chicago benchmark figures). Illinois is reasonable with
a 3% state flat income tax and no Chicago city income tax - yet. In New York, it is
10% for NYS income tax plus 5% for NYC income tax. That makes the huge apartments
that minimum wagers have on TV shows seem even more improbably ... (-;

And get this, Ken ... the National Post had been talking about US tax cuts in the
three years BEFORE George Bush, Jr. Any idea what they were referring to?!?!? Sure
beats me ... Reading cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS, there have been some borderline violent
demonstrations at the TN state capital over a 1% state income tax to close a huge
budget deficit. New Jersey's in the hole for $1 Billion this fiscal year and they
cancelled any pro sports corporate welfare for a Newark area for the Devils and Nets.
North Carolina has a $800 Billion budget deficit and it looks like the end of the
free ride for Nortelers who moved there.

--

"Je me souviens"

Old Sep 8th 2001, 3:59 pm
Gary L. Dare

"Gary L. Dare" wrote:

>
    >

P.S.: Not in this weekend's Sports section, "Plan to Build Newark Arena Falls Apart":

http://nytimes.com/2001/09/07/nyregion/07AREN.html

... and today, "Blame Flies After Collapse of Arena Bill":

http://nytimes.com/2001/09/08/nyregion/08AREN.html

With a state budget deficit topping $1 Billion this year, it's not likely that this
will return after next year's gubernatorial election ...

Never mind the state and local tax hikes that will offset the Bush federal tax cuts
(assuming that its latter phases won't be terminated, to boot!).

>
    >

Social Security tax: 6.2% (12.4% split) on first $80,400 in 2001.

Medicare for Seniors tax: 1.45% (2.9% split) on all wage income.

--

"Je me souviens"